Board Junkies Forums

Brittney Griner Arrested in Russia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/30/22 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
mercfan wrote:
10 years is something I'd like to not think about. Potentially darker times could be coming pertaining to BG.

Also I’m a bit confused. Is the trial starting July 1 WITH a 6 month extension or did July 1 get pushed back 6 months?

Are we allowed to be extremely disappointed in our current administration and media? I feel like this is getting ridiculous. I know “it’s Russia” but like wtf do something. I don’t want to start a political debate, but as a Biden voter, I am losing trust as I feel like our last 4 presidents would have sealed the deal. I’m probably speaking out of emotion but I have ZERO faith that anything is being done by the White House. Sorry.

When are we going to get angry?

What exactly could any White House do? They can't just stop opposing this war and let Russia take over Ukraine and murder thousands of civilians to get back one athlete. They can't send in troops. Even exchanging Griner for a murderous arms dealer feels really wrong.

I ache for Griner. I hate this situation. But when a crazy country with nukes decides to imprison one person, options are severely limited.

Besides, if they are negotiating anything they would never, ever make it public because Putin will twist anything to his advantage.

Thanks, Muneraven. I completely agree.

PostPosted: 06/30/22 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
mercfan wrote:
10 years is something I'd like to not think about. Potentially darker times could be coming pertaining to BG.

Also I’m a bit confused. Is the trial starting July 1 WITH a 6 month extension or did July 1 get pushed back 6 months?

Are we allowed to be extremely disappointed in our current administration and media? I feel like this is getting ridiculous. I know “it’s Russia” but like wtf do something. I don’t want to start a political debate, but as a Biden voter, I am losing trust as I feel like our last 4 presidents would have sealed the deal. I’m probably speaking out of emotion but I have ZERO faith that anything is being done by the White House. Sorry.

What exactly could any White House do? They can't just stop opposing this war and let Russia take over Ukraine and murder thousands of civilians to get back one athlete. They can't send in troops. Even exchanging Griner for a murderous arms dealer feels really wrong.

I ache for Griner. I hate this situation. But when a crazy country with nukes decides to imprison one person, options are severely limited.

Besides, if they are negotiating anything they would never, ever make it public because Putin will twist anything to his advantage.

Well, it’s gonna be a long 10 years if there is nothing they can do. Why call it a wrongful detention if you can’t do anything about it? We owe our citizens better than that.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 06/30/22 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I agree you, and I feel bad for BG too. I've grown tired of reading posts on twitter proclaiming the previous administration would have had her out by now. There were already Americans in custody over there for years, and their releases were not secured during that term.
It's always a geo-political tug of war.

PostPosted: 06/30/22 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
MuneravenMN wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Well, it’s gonna be a long 10 years if there is nothing they can do. Why call it a wrongful detention if you can’t do anything about it? We owe our citizens better than that.

Because both can be true.

PostPosted: 06/30/22 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, ChicagoAnnie, for your two posts above. Totally with you.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 3:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump would have had her home already and there would be no war in Ukraine....our stock market would still be booming and we would still be a NET OIL EXPORTER with low fuel prices......truth hurts....

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/01/22 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a big can of "what if" worms that I'd be happy to dive into, but this is not the thread or even the section of the forum for that, so I am going to keep my trap shut.

Such debate is welcome in Area 51 of course.

This thread needs to stay focused on the actual situation.

Last edited by Luuuc on 07/01/22 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/01/22 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
There's a big can of "what if" worms that I'd be happy to dive into, but this is not the thread or even the section of the forum for that, so I am going to keep my trap shut.

Such debate it welcome in Area 51 of course.

This thread needs to stay focused on the actual situation.

Thanks, Luuuc. I saw this late last night and didn't post a reply for reasons that wouldn't be hard to guess. What's important here is Brittney Griner.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/01/1109272785/brittney-griner-trial-russia-prison-jail-wnba-basketball-detained

Russian prosecutors call first witnesses in case against Brittney Griner

Quote:
Russian state news agency Tass, which has a staff member in the courtroom, reported that the indictment alleges that before traveling to Russia in February, Griner "bought two cartridges for personal use, which contained 0.252 grams and 0.45 grams of hash oil."

Couldn't they give her something more appropriate to wear? I don't think Jimi Hendrix would be the image I would want to convey in this situation.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 07/01/22 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://www.npr.org/2022/07/01/1109272785/brittney-griner-trial-russia-prison-jail-wnba-basketball-detained

Quote:
Russian state news agency Tass, which has a staff member in the courtroom, reported that the indictment alleges that before traveling to Russia in February, Griner "bought two cartridges for personal use, which contained 0.252 grams and 0.45 grams of hash oil."

Couldn't they give her something more appropriate to wear? I don't think Jimi Hendrix would be the image I would want to convey in this situation.

Who do you think is in control here?

The trial is a propaganda sham to" show" how terrible the American culture is and to troll the US. Even where that seems ridiculous to those not subjected to it. Look over here while I'm committing atrocities in neighboring countries. It isn't us it is them and here is an example. It is autocratic propaganda 101.

We have plenty of issues here. Plenty. But with an autocratic regime - take any rights or freedom or expectations you have and throw them out the window. To the extent it appears those same rights/freedoms exist it is because the autocratic ruler allows the illusion to exist - until they don't.

BG and the other political prisoners are pawns. Every action and statement is pre-ordained and for purpose - can't trust any of it to be real.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Quote:

Who do you think is in control here?

The trial is a propaganda sham to" show" how terrible the American culture is and to troll the US. Even where that seems ridiculous to those not subjected to it. Look over here while I'm committing atrocities in neighboring countries. It isn't us it is them and here is an example. It is autocratic propaganda 101.

We have plenty of issues here. Plenty. But with an autocratic regime - take any rights or freedom or expectations you have and throw them out the window. To the extent it appears those same rights/freedoms exist it is because the autocratic ruler allows the illusion to exist - until they don't.

BG and the other political prisoners are pawns. Every action and statement is pre-ordained and for purpose - can't trust any of it to be real.

I hadn't thought of that. The idea of them intentionally having her wear a Hendrix shirt to enhance the image of a "drug user" is chilling. Thank you for your analysis.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/01/22 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russia Hints at Linking Griner’s Case to Fate of ‘Merchant of Death’

WASHINGTON — She is an American professional basketball star, accused of carrying hashish oil in her luggage.

He is a notorious Russian arms dealer known as the “Merchant of Death,” serving a 25-year federal prison sentence for conspiring to sell weapons to people who said they planned to kill Americans.

And the Kremlin appears interested in linking their fates, in a potential deal with the Biden administration that would free both.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/01/us/politics/brittney-griner-trial-russia.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

The vast disparity between the cases of Brittney Griner and Viktor Bout highlights the extreme difficulty President Biden would face if he sought a prisoner exchange to free Ms. Griner, the detained W.N.B.A. player, from detention in Moscow. The Biden administration, reluctant to create an incentive for the arrest or abduction of Americans abroad, would be hard-pressed to justify the release of a villainous figure like Mr. Bout.

At the same time, Mr. Biden is under pressure to free Ms. Griner, who was arrested at a Moscow-area airport in February and whom the State Department classified in May as “wrongfully detained.” That reflects concern that the Kremlin considers her leverage in the tense confrontation between the United States and Russia over Ukraine. Last week, dozens of groups representing people of color, women and L.G.B.T.Q. Americans sent a letter urging Mr. Biden to “make a deal to get Brittney back home to America immediately and safely.”

Ms. Griner’s trial started on Friday was adjourned until next Thursday.

Mr. Bout, 55, a former Soviet military officer who made a fortune in global arms trafficking before he was caught in a federal sting operation, could be the price for any deal. Russian officials have pressed Mr. Bout’s case for years, and in recent weeks Russian media outlets have directly linked his case to Ms. Griner’s. Some, including the state-owned Tass news service, have even claimed that talks with Washington for a possible exchange are already underway, something that U.S. officials will not confirm.

Mr. Bout’s New York-based lawyer, Steve Zissou, said in an interview that Russian officials are pressing to free Mr. Bout, who was convicted in 2011 of offering to sell weapons, including antiaircraft missiles, to federal agents posing as members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC. Mr. Zissou said that he met with Anatoly I. Antonov, Russia’s ambassador to the United States, in June in Washington and that Mr. Antonov told him the release of Mr. Bout was a very high priority for the Russian government.

“It has been communicated to the American side very clearly that they’re going to have to get real on Viktor Bout if they expect any further prisoner exchanges,” Mr. Zissou said. “My sense of this is that no American is going home unless Viktor Bout is sent home with them.”

U.S. officials have declined to substantiate that notion and won’t discuss any potential deal to free Ms. Griner. The State Department as a matter of practice dismisses questions about prisoner exchanges around the world, warning that they set a dangerous precedent.

“Using wrongful detention as a bargaining chip represents a threat to the safety of everyone traveling, working and living abroad,” the department’s spokesman, Ned Price, recently said.

Mr. Biden did agree to a prisoner exchange in April, in which Russia released Trevor Reed, a former U.S. Marine from Texas who had been held since 2019 on charges of assaulting two police officers. The United States in return freed Konstantin Yaroshenko, a pilot sentenced in 2011 to 20 years in prison for drug smuggling. But White House officials stressed that Mr. Reed’s failing health made his case exceptional.

Many people have expressed support for Ms. Griner, a star athlete and basketball icon. Less obvious is the Russian government’s solidarity with an organized crime titan linked to terrorists and war criminals. In December, a government building in Moscow exhibited two dozen of Mr. Bout’s pencil sketches and other artwork produced from his cell in a federal penitentiary building near Marion, Ill.

By the time of his arrest in 2008, Mr. Bout (pronounced “boot”) was so known that an arms-trafficking character played by Nicolas Cage in the 2005 film “Lord of War” was based on his life.

Born in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, he attended a Russian military college and served as a Soviet air force officer.

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, Mr. Bout began making money ferrying cargo between continents. U.S. officials say he soon became one of the world’s top arms dealers, transporting weapons from the former Soviet military in Ilyushin transport planes, with a particularly lucrative business in war-torn African countries like Liberia and Sierra Leone. Mr. Bout denies that he knowingly trafficked arms.

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, the United States and European nations were sure that Mr. Bout’s weapons shipments were not only fueling death and misery but also violating United Nations arms embargoes. They were particularly alarmed by intelligence suggesting he may have done business with the Afghan Taliban and even Al Qaeda, charges he denies.

Eventually, the United States lured Mr. Bout into a trap. In 2008, a pair of Drug Enforcement Administration agents posing as members of Colombia’s leftist FARC rebel group arranged a meeting in Bangkok with Mr. Bout to buy weapons including 30,000 AK-47 rifles, plastic explosives and surface-to-air missiles for use against Colombia’s government and the American military personnel supporting its campaign against the FARC.

“Viktor Bout was ready to sell a weapons arsenal that would be the envy of some small countries,” Preet Bharara, then the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, said after his conviction. “He aimed to sell those weapons to terrorists for the purpose of killing Americans.”

The FARC’s official status at the time as a foreign terrorist organization meant that Mr. Bout drew a mandatory federal minimum sentence of 25 years.

One former U.S. official familiar with Mr. Bout’s situation said the Russian government’s interest in his freedom appeared to be personal and that he has ties to powerful people close to President Vladimir V. Putin.

Another former American official pointed to a somewhat more principled reason: Mr. Bout was arrested in Thailand and extradited from there to New York. Russian officials have complained about what they call the growing “practice used by the U.S. of actually hunting down our citizens abroad and arresting them in other nations,” as Grigory Lukyantsev, the Russian Foreign Ministry’s commissioner for human rights, said in August, according to the Russian news outlet RT.

The first former U.S. official said it was highly unlikely that, given the magnitude of his crimes, Mr. Bout would be freed in any deal for Ms. Griner — even if, as some have speculated, the trade were to include Paul Whelan, a former U.S. Marine imprisoned in Moscow since December 2018 on espionage charges. The former official said Russia had sought Mr. Bout’s release in even higher-profile cases in the past and had been firmly rejected.

Both former officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss their knowledge of Mr. Bout’s case publicly.

Danielle Gilbert, an assistant professor of military and strategic studies at the U.S. Air Force Academy who specializes in hostage diplomacy, agreed that releasing Mr. Bout would be a difficult political proposition. But she did not rule out the idea. “It wouldn’t surprise me if they’re at least considering the possibility,” she said, noting that she does not speak for the U.S. government.

Mr. Bout has at least one advocate for his release in the United States: Shira A. Scheindlin, the judge who presided over his case. In an interview, Ms. Scheindlin said that swapping Mr. Bout for Ms. Griner would be inappropriate, given the scale of his offense in relation to her alleged violation.

But she said a deal that also included Mr. Whelan might even the scales. Mr. Bout has already served 11 years in prison, she noted, saying that “he was not a terrorist, in my opinion. He was a businessman.” Although she was required to impose his mandatory 25-year sentence, she added: “I thought it was too high at the time.”

“So, having served as long as he has, I think the United States’ interest in punishing him has been satisfied,” she said, “and it would not be a bad equation to send him back if we get back these people who are important to us.”

Even if the United States were open to such a deal, Mr. Zissou said it would not be imminent. He said he believed that Russia — which insists Ms. Griner faces legitimate charges and is not a political pawn — was determined to complete her trial before negotiating her release. “And that is likely to take a few months,” he said.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, isn't this guy in prison for doing almost exactly the same thing as Dennis Veilleux?

PostPosted: 07/01/22 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Just out of curiosity, isn't this guy in prison for doing almost exactly the same thing as Dennis Veilleux?

Umm, not quite. Besides being sanctioned by the UN, he was convicted of "conspiracy to kill U.S. citizens and officials, delivery of anti-aircraft missiles, and providing aid to a terrorist organization."

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/01/22 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Quote:

I am going to stick with a purely legal analysis of these alleged prosecutorial facts under Article 228 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation.

The fact that the prosecutors allege that Griner brought in two vape cartridges for "personal use" means they are not seeking enhanced charges for importation of drugs for purposes of sale.

The total amount of vape oil alleged is 0.702 grams, which is barely above the 0.4 gram limit for a "large amount" of oil and far below the 5.0 gram limit for an "exceptionally large amount." Therefore, the possible 3-10 year sentence for exceptionally large amounts should not apply to Griner.

On these facts, Griner would have violated Article 228(1) for large amounts, the statutory punishment for which is alternatively:

- 40,000 roubles (= $704 USD), or
- up to three months of the person's income, or
- corrective labor for a period up to two years, or
- jail for a term of up to three years.

So, as I have previously analyzed, Griner could get off with a fine of three months of her income and no jail. This would be the most profitable sentence for the Russian legal system because it would cost money to house and feed her in jail.

Despite all the fact-free hyperventilation in mainstream and social media about Russian political conspiracies, I am unaware of any facts that would make a civilian woman employed in an obscure part-time sport some sort of valuable political pawn among the world's superpowers.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 07/02/22 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/01/22 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Quote:

I am going to stick with a purely legal analysis of these alleged prosecutorial facts under Article 228 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation.

The fact that the prosecutors allege that Griner brought in two vape cartridges for "personal use" means they are not seeking enhanced charges for importation of drugs for purposes of sale.

The total amount of vape oil alleged is 0.702 grams, which is barely above the 0.4 gram limit for a "large amount" of oil and far below the 5.0 gram limit for an "exceptionally large amount." Therefore, the possible 3-10 year sentence for exceptionally large amounts should not apply to Griner.

On these facts, Griner would have violated Article 228(1) for large amounts, the statutory punishment for which is alternatively:

- 40,000 roubles (= $704 USD), or
- three months of the person's income, or
- corrective labor for a period up to two years, or
- jail for a term of up to three years.

So, as I have previously analyzed, Griner could get off with a fine of three months of her income and no jail. This would be the most profitable sentence for the Russian legal system because it would cost money to house and feed her in jail.

Despite all the fact-free hyperventilation in mainstream and social media about Russian political conspiracies, I am unaware of any facts that would make a civilian woman employed in an obscure part-time sport some sort of valuable political pawn among the world's superpowers.

I definitely think there is a gross overstatement of her importance on the geo political stage. However, they have implied who they want in a prisoner swap. That's not a random request and if they truly think she is worth an exchange for an arms dealer with a 25 year sentence, then surely they must have some plan to leverage her?

If they actually sentenced her to 3 years, which could be the "max" I. This situation, I highly doubt the US would trade anything for her. I know that is harsh but I can't see them trading anything for such a, relatively, short sentence.

I'd like to believe she is not a political pawn and I would like to believe she will not be given a harsh sentence but I'm cynical. I worry for her. She's already been there longer than she should. However, life is harsh and there is nothing my emotions can do to change her fate. I mourn and hope for the best for her.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/01/22 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deleted.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Umm, not quite. Besides being sanctioned by the UN, he was convicted of "conspiracy to kill U.S. citizens and officials, delivery of anti-aircraft missiles, and providing aid to a terrorist organization."

Pretty sure Veilleux has sold more weapons that led to the deaths of Americans than Bout.

Just noting that it's a fine line between being a "Merchant of Death" on one hand and what Bout was doing on the other.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Pretty sure Veilleux has sold more weapons that led to the deaths of Americans than Bout.

Just noting that it's a fine line between being a "Merchant of Death" on one hand and what Bout was doing on the other.

Yeah, I'm with you.

To me, selling a shit ton of killing machines around the world is fairly distasteful, but I'm surprised that there's much outrage from the "guns = freedom" country that tops this list

Quote:
Top 10 Countries for Gun Ownership (Civilian guns owned per 100 people):
United States - 120.5
Falkland Islands - 62.1
Yemen - 52.8
New Caledonia - 42.5
Serbia - 39.1 (tie)
Montenegro - 39.1 (tie)
Uruguay - 34.7 (tie)
Canada - 34.7 (tie)
Cyprus - 34
Finland - 32.4

It's not like the guy was selling abortion pills, sheesh.

From that perspective the swap seems like a bargain for the US.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the hypocrisy of any USA outrage regarding an arms merchant, is that the USA is the home of the world's largest arms merchants who have a symbiotic relationship with the government.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 07/01/22 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Russia Hints at Linking Griner’s Case to Fate of ‘Merchant of Death’

Thank you for posting this. Very interesting read.

PostPosted: 07/02/22 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure if these will post correctly but I wanted to show everyone my recent BG tattoo. I had been planning this for a while before her detention but it felt even more important now.

A little backstory. My tattoo artist specializes in kind of traditional sailor / pin-up style, so I told him I wanted BG as a pin-up girl. This was how he interpreted that directive and I was VERY pleased with the outcome. I wanted to celebrate BG for the superhero I think she is. I hope one day I can show her and that this tattoo will no longer be a somber reminder of her current situation but the lighthearted celebration of her that it was initially intended to be.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 07/02/22 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No paywall gift link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/02/world/europe/brittney-griner-hostage-diplomacy.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuomT1JKd6J17Vw1cRCfTTMQmqxCdw_PIxftm3iWka3DKDm4YiPsSGYyMvErQf617apw5xTWHWNlMIfogXv10w_UaP0t2VwCnr96ImYwBJCA8opP1Xn8z29iFe4EExgLQTzvzLvZjlvr4tgiaMTO0DLqM1nMmdF5kpY8xdFqhxXAOxKbaGu8h3c0p3PckBJAtETtRYiCarrK_XUUFTdaFax3X4wg1Uu1LC3qEzZPHteV2IEgFAknGTXh__W859NpcXdsQN6r8JBYnE9Hs1fRTUic7adf0WOBiAtTchL5osrXSqB2TycLQx_k-EK1cvL-soX9UannxFjX1WOdcWTsIIftg&smid=url-share

Quote:
The U.S. government classifies Ms. Griner as “wrongfully detained,” meaning that it believes the charges against her are spurious, perhaps intended to pressure Washington over its involvement in Ukraine.

In recent years, a number of Americans have been swept up by hostile governments looking to use them as bargaining chips as part of some larger conflict with the United States.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/04/22 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'I'm terrified I might be here forever': Brittney Griner pens handwritten letter to Biden

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/04/politics/brittney-griner-letter-biden-white-house/index.html

Quote:
(As) I sit here in a Russian prison, alone with my thoughts and without the protection of my wife, family, friends, Olympic jersey, or any accomplishments, I'm terrified I might be here forever," she wrote, according to a statement released by the communications company representing the Griner family.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/04/22 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
Trump would have had her home already and there would be no war in Ukraine....our stock market would still be booming and we would still be a NET OIL EXPORTER with low fuel prices......truth hurts....

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing The Idjicy!

Luuuc wrote:
To me, selling a shit ton of killing machines around the world is fairly distasteful, but I'm surprised that there's much outrage from the "guns = freedom" country that tops this list

Spoken as a true Non-American, GodBlessYou. It never ceases to amaze me that *we* Americans always fail see that irony.

tfan wrote:
I think the hypocrisy of any USA outrage regarding an arms merchant, is that the USA is the home of the world's largest arms merchants who have a symbiotic relationship with the government.

Precisely. I'm thinking the government's BIGGEST outrage was that he was horning in on their market.

Johnjohn, nice tattoo 'n all but....I want that Flamingo shirt! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 17 of 33

Jump to: