RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stanford women roll over UCLA 91-68
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/03/06 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
This is the woman who waited 15 long years to become head coach at LaTech. She's loyal to a fault. And Waco is the biggest place she's ever lived. I can't imagine KMR in LA.

Baylor can match whatever UCLA offers

Really? UCLA has almost unlimited funds and with success the potential for an almost unlimited fan base.

Southern California provides the best recruiting base in the country

UCLA has a sports tradition Baylor (and most any university) can only dream of.

As coming out becomes of a high school occurence than college (research shows this is true), Baylor's homophobia will be more and more a recruiting disadvantage.

Waco would appeal to some recruits, but I would be willing to bet LA would appeal to more.

There are tons of things Baylor can't hope to match. Not many schools can. Despite my personal distaste of the university, even an unbiased look can't see the opportunities as equal.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/03/06 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley's name was mentioned in regard to nearly every major conference opening a year ago and will probably be again this coming off season. The general perception is that Temple is maxed out, they've gone as far as they can possibly go and she'll be up for a bigger challenge.

Jeff Mittie from TCU would be a strong candidate. He's had a nice run with the Frogs.

I wonder if Don Flanagan could be lured away from New Mexico.

PostPosted: 01/03/06 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Dawn Staley's name was mentioned in regard to nearly every major conference opening a year ago and will probably be again this coming off season. The general perception is that Temple is maxed out, they've gone as far as they can possibly go and she'll be up for a bigger challenge.

Jeff Mittie from TCU would be a strong candidate. He's had a nice run with the Frogs.

I wonder how much political pressure UCLA would be under to hire a woman. I don't know, but it's a thought.

I wonder how attractive Staley is as a candidate, given the perception that she will go to UVA when she can.

PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 01/03/06 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
accommodatingly wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
This is the woman who waited 15 long years to become head coach at LaTech. She's loyal to a fault. And Waco is the biggest place she's ever lived. I can't imagine KMR in LA.

Baylor can match whatever UCLA offers

Really? UCLA has almost unlimited funds and with success the potential for an almost unlimited fan base.

Southern California provides the best recruiting base in the country

UCLA has a sports tradition Baylor (and most any university) can only dream of.

As coming out becomes of a high school occurence than college (research shows this is true), Baylor's homophobia will be more and more a recruiting disadvantage.

Waco would appeal to some recruits, but I would be willing to bet LA would appeal to more.

There are tons of things Baylor can't hope to match. Not many schools can. Despite my personal distaste of the university, even an unbiased look can't see the opportunities as equal.

Matty is spot on. If UCLA decides to get serious about it's women's basketball program, there are few teams in the country that can match whatever they offer. There is no program (save maybe Stanford) that is more committed and more successful in women's sports than UCLA. If the Bruin AD decides it's time the women's basketball program be in-line with softball, soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, swimming, track, etc., etc., than UCLA could be a dream job.

Someone like KMR might not want the job because of her Southern roots, but I seriously doubt Baylor could match UCLA in terms of money.

LitePal

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minor correction. UCLA doesn't have unlimited funding for coaches. Staley would get a nice salary, but it would be the ancillary things that would net the big bucks like her camp and endorsements. I agree that UCLA will be under the gun to hire another female coach to replace Olivier.

If Staley were correctly courted and UCLA seriously propositioned the concept of building a women's basketball dynasty at the school, she might very well make the jump.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 01/04/06 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Please lure him away!!

PostPosted: 01/04/06 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing that the UCLA AD must consider is that the best candidate for the job is going to be someone with the personality and coaching credentials that will help to turn the program around quickly in the eyes of recruits. It took UCLA 13 years to dismiss a bad coach. That's a pretty bad record to have. I don't think someone like Flanagan or Mittie, while I think they are very good coaches, have the sort of personality that will do that right off the bat.

I like the female coaches whose names have been thrown out there on this post. I also wouldn't mind say, Michael Cooper, but I know he is more interested in coaching in the NBA even though I think he should go back to coaching women. Anyway, I've been told he wouldn't be a candidate anyhow considering he had that domestic violence charge on him.

Also, my hope about Staley is that she did go around the country last year putting her name out there with openings at places like Colorado and Miami, so she seems open. Dailey would be my second choice. Tia J would be my first if she had any head coaching experience but we'd welcome her with open arms if she did get the job. Also, in regards to the mid-major programs, the LB State coach is a former Bruin AA and seems to be pretty solid but it's hard to tell how good a coach she can be and whether she has the personality to turn UCLA's bad reputation around quickly.

Thanks for the info...

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/04/06 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
... the LB State coach is a former Bruin AA and seems to be pretty solid but it's hard to tell how good a coach she can be and whether she has the personality to turn UCLA's bad reputation around quickly.

I assumed Mary Hegarty would eventually be at UCLA after proving herself at Long Beach.
I don't think she's had enough time to make something happen there. She's certainly improved the team though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: