RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 02/11/22 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A translation of the Russian Basketball Federation's website suggests that Russia and the United States will both be considered as having lost the game that was scheduled between them, but I have not seen anything else that says that.
ucbart

PostPosted: 02/11/22 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
After the Olympics I’m not surprised if Diggins declined.

Me either. After two attempts to participate and basically be used as a practice only player would be disheartening for anyone with her talent level. This is my own assessment. I have no idea how she really feels.

The international game is far different than the American game and I don't think SDS game translates well at all. She is just not a run the offense and control the flow of the game type of PG-she is a "create her own" type of PG. It works in Phx because Diana assumes PG duties and controls the offense. Same as Arike-Arike gets her first, second, and third, then everyone else eats.

I hate to say it, but there is a reason SDS led teams have never won squat.

I think her game translated well during the pre-Olympic tour, as far as pg duties she spent just as much as time at the point as Taurasi, if not more so especially throughout the times she was out due to injury and rest. As far as never winning, unfortunately the talent level hasn’t been the best. Her first full year with BG, they made it to the finals. Bird won her titles with LJ (who may be the greatest W player) and Stewart (who may be the greatest) before she retires, and Whalen had a cavalcade of Olympians around her. Now this is the first season where Diggins will be surrounded by top level talent at multiple positions .

In college, SDS and the Irish were never the most talented, yet they found a way to win. The fact that they got 3 straight wins over UConn in 2013, despite being less talented than the Huskies as a whole was in large part to Diggins, McBride, and Loyd routinely outplaying their backcourt UConn counterparts except for that last game in the final four where UConn finally played to their potential. If you look at both rosters, the Huskies had no business losing to them that many times in the season. The Irish had a slight edge in backcourt talent, but the Huskies talent on the wings and post (Faris, KML, Tuck, Dolson, and Stewart) was far superior to ND. Muffet absolutely deserved COY that year.

What? College is a guards game-their starting backcourt was Diggins, Jewel, and Kayla McBride. Ours was Caroline Doty, KML and Faris. Hartley, who wasn't areal PG, came off the bench and played a lot there, and Moriah was a freshman who played minutes, but was nowhere near the Moriah of 2015 & 2016. Yes, Stewie was obviously light years better than anyone on that court, but to say we had no business losing to them 3 years is just the most ridiculous statement of all time.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/11/22 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
After the Olympics I’m not surprised if Diggins declined.

Me either. After two attempts to participate and basically be used as a practice only player would be disheartening for anyone with her talent level. This is my own assessment. I have no idea how she really feels.

The international game is far different than the American game and I don't think SDS game translates well at all. She is just not a run the offense and control the flow of the game type of PG-she is a "create her own" type of PG. It works in Phx because Diana assumes PG duties and controls the offense. Same as Arike-Arike gets her first, second, and third, then everyone else eats.

I hate to say it, but there is a reason SDS led teams have never won squat.

I think her game translated well during the pre-Olympic tour, as far as pg duties she spent just as much as time at the point as Taurasi, if not more so especially throughout the times she was out due to injury and rest. As far as never winning, unfortunately the talent level hasn’t been the best. Her first full year with BG, they made it to the finals. Bird won her titles with LJ (who may be the greatest W player) and Stewart (who may be the greatest) before she retires, and Whalen had a cavalcade of Olympians around her. Now this is the first season where Diggins will be surrounded by top level talent at multiple positions .

In college, SDS and the Irish were never the most talented, yet they found a way to win. The fact that they got 3 straight wins over UConn in 2013, despite being less talented than the Huskies as a whole was in large part to Diggins, McBride, and Loyd routinely outplaying their backcourt UConn counterparts except for that last game in the final four where UConn finally played to their potential. If you look at both rosters, the Huskies had no business losing to them that many times in the season. The Irish had a slight edge in backcourt talent, but the Huskies talent on the wings and post (Faris, KML, Tuck, Dolson, and Stewart) was far superior to ND. Muffet absolutely deserved COY that year.

What? College is a guards game-their starting backcourt was Diggins, Jewel, and Kayla McBride. Ours was Caroline Doty, KML and Faris. Hartley, who wasn't areal PG, came off the bench and played a lot there, and Moriah was a freshman who played minutes, but was nowhere near the Moriah of 2015 & 2016. Yes, Stewie was obviously light years better than anyone on that court, but to say we had no business losing to them 3 years is just the most ridiculous statement of all time.

Guards are important, however you can't win without a good front court and Uconn's post game was far superior to ND. KML was an All-American that year for crying out loud Laughing Laughing Faris was an outstanding defender and Hartley started off the year slowed down by an ankle injury, but the by the end of the year she was back to normal and played like the best guard during the final four.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/25/22 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players for a camp next week:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2022/03/wnt-spring-training-athletes.aspx

The only player currently playing overseas is Kelsey Plum. Galatasaray could win their two league games in her absence, but if they do not, then fans are not likely to be thrilled. She then has to fly back to compete for the EuroCup title.
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/25/22 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

The only player currently playing overseas is Kelsey Plum. Galatasaray could win their two league games in her absence, but if they do not, then fans are not likely to be thrilled. She then has to fly back to compete for the EuroCup title.

So no true C type post.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/25/22 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

So no true C type post.

Wilson is as good of a true C as any international player they'll face.

PostPosted: 03/25/22 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing in the article about Delle Donne.
If she plays in the WNBA without getting hurt, I suspect she’ll be available. No Copper? No Ionescu? Diggins?

Chelsea Gray/Kelsey Plum
Ariel Atkins/Courtney Williams/Kelsey Mitchell
Angel McCoughtry/Allisha Gray/Aerial Powers
Breanna Stewart/Dearica Hamby
A’ja Wilson/Azurá Stevens

Not sure why Williams is forgiven so quickly. No knuckleheads standard doesn’t apply to Team USA?

I’m sure this crew can get it done, but there are plenty of unanswered questions.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 08/16/22 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2022/08/2022-wnt-training-camp-roster.aspx

2022 USA Basketball Women’s National Team training camp from Sept. 6-12 in Las Vegas

Ariel Atkins
Shakira Austin
Aliyah Boston (only college player invite)
Kahleah Copper
Elena Delle Donne
Diamond DeShields
Stefanie Dolson
Allisha Gray
Chelsea Gray
Dearica Hamby
Myisha Hines-Allen
Natasha Howard
Rhyne Howard
Sabrina Ionescu
Brionna Jones
Betnijah Laney
Jewell Loyd
Kayla McBride
Angel McCoughtry
Arike Ogunbowale
Kelsey Plum
Aerial Powers
NaLyssa Smith
Breanna Stewart
Alyssa Thomas
Courtney Williams
A’ja Wilson
Jackie Young

Head coach
Cheryl Reeve

Assistant coaches
Mike Thibault
Kara Lawson
Joni Taylor

Court coaches
Katie Smith
Curt Miller

The 2022 FIBA World Cup, featuring 12 of the best national teams in the world, is scheduled for Sept. 22-Oct. 1 in Sydney, Australia.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/16/22 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2022/08/2022-wnt-training-camp-roster.aspx

2022 USA Basketball Women’s National Team training camp from Sept. 6-12 in Las Vegas

[snip]

Head coach
Cheryl Reeve

Assistant coaches
Mike Thibault
Kara Lawson
Joni Taylor

Court coaches
Katie Smith
Curt Miller

[snip]

"Court Coaches"? I never heard of that term. How is this any different from an assistant coach?

PostPosted: 08/16/22 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Shades wrote:

[snip]

Head coach
Cheryl Reeve

Assistant coaches
Mike Thibault
Kara Lawson
Joni Taylor

Court coaches
Katie Smith
Curt Miller

[snip]

"Court Coaches"? I never heard of that term. How is this any different from an assistant coach?

They generally are not involved with the team after the training camp process other than maybe some scouting. When there are a lot of players, it helps to have a few extra voices with drills or intrasquad scrimmages. Also, these tend to be auditions for assistant coaching positions.
Shades

PostPosted: 08/17/22 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Curt Miller being a court coach means he’s off the selection committee, that can only be a good thing.

That year both Clarendon and Tuck (both Sun bench players at the time) made the final senior team roster was so transparently nepotism.

I seem to recall Katie Smith previously being on the selection committee too, so maybe they’re both pulling double duty? I hope not.

Last edited by Shades on 08/25/22 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
awhom111

PostPosted: 08/24/22 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCoughtry as of right now would not be allowed to be included:
https://www.fiba.basketball/sanctions-violations#tab=element_2_1

Presumably this relates to her exit from Galatasaray and would require her paying them some money to clear it up, but FIBA is way behind on posting BAT cases. Meighan Simmons was on the international transfer ban list earlier, but is no longer there. There are some Russian clubs bringing male players to arbitration where people want to be able to read the decisions.
awhom111

PostPosted: 09/05/22 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball did not bother writing it up, but a few players are not showing up to camp so they are scrambling:
https://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/roster.aspx

There are only 14 players not still in the playoffs and there is supposed to be an intrasquad game on Friday which would seem unlikely to involve players in the semifinals even if both series end on Tuesday. I am not sure how they would divide the teams at this point with a lot of position imbalance in their current group. I guess they could emergency bring in a few players who are in the Las Vegas area kind of the like the men's team did before the Olympics last year.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/06/22 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
USA Basketball did not bother writing it up, but a few players are not showing up to camp so they are scrambling:
https://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/roster.aspx

There are only 14 players not still in the playoffs and there is supposed to be an intrasquad game on Friday which would seem unlikely to involve players in the semifinals even if both series end on Tuesday. I am not sure how they would divide the teams at this point with a lot of position imbalance in their current group. I guess they could emergency bring in a few players who are in the Las Vegas area kind of the like the men's team did before the Olympics last year.

There's a couple of Storm players suddenly available to report...

~rAf
threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 09/07/22 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game's coming up really quick (Fri.)! Televised on NBATV. Interesting to see who is going to be there...

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2022/08/red-white-game-update.aspx

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/07/22 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was told - didn't see/hear the quotes myself - that McCoughtry was asked about the FIBA sanctions thing in press availability, said she'd paid the money necessary and was therefore available for the World Cup if selected.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm...do my eyes deceive me or is Laney the starting pg on the white squad? I knew we were shorthanded bc of the playoffs but Shocked

Sophie doing sideline reporting....seems a little nervous (understandably) but is actually pleasant...Laughing

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad Kara's team won, but with Samuelson not playing and McCoughtry being on the other team, that ended being even more massive roster imbalance:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/live-stats/2022/9-9-22-live-stats-red-white-game.aspx
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/10/22 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really intrigued by what Team USA are going to do here. Adding Stewart, Loyd and Copper would obviously help, assuming none of them withdraws, but are they just going to write off Wilson, Gray, Plum, Young, Hamby, AThomas, CWilliams and BJones? Or are they going to name a couple of them, but not the rest? Are they going to wait a week and hope the Finals ends in 3?

Surely you have to include at least one of Gray/Plum, just to add a second player who even vaguely resembles a point guard, and leaving out the player who just won WNBA MVP would seem kinda nuts. But the WNBA season could literally end barely 24 hours before the World Cup starts on the other side of the planet. Missing a game or two wouldn't matter much, but they'll have no preparation time at all. Will USA Basketball care?

Meanwhile, I feel for Bosnia's coach. The last four minutes of Sun-Sky must've been absolute torture.

PostPosted: 09/10/22 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For all those Boston doubters, she sure looked good. The best center in that game, she will be a star in the W!

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/10/22 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
For all those Boston doubters, she sure looked good. The best center in that game, she will be a star in the W!

She did look good. However, I kinda thought Dolson got the best of her when she was defending her. She had a really nice basket on her, but other than that I think most of her baskets occurred when she wasn’t defending her.

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/10/22 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I'm really intrigued by what Team USA are going to do here. Adding Stewart, Loyd and Copper would obviously help, assuming none of them withdraws, but are they just going to write off Wilson, Gray, Plum, Young, Hamby, AThomas, CWilliams and BJones? Or are they going to name a couple of them, but not the rest? Are they going to wait a week and hope the Finals ends in 3?

Surely you have to include at least one of Gray/Plum, just to add a second player who even vaguely resembles a point guard, and leaving out the player who just won WNBA MVP would seem kinda nuts. But the WNBA season could literally end barely 24 hours before the World Cup starts on the other side of the planet. Missing a game or two wouldn't matter much, but they'll have no preparation time at all. Will USA Basketball care?

Meanwhile, I feel for Bosnia's coach. The last four minutes of Sun-Sky must've been absolute torture.

I guess the closest comparison is 2006 when the Finals went the maximum and ended on the 9th and then tournament started on the 12th in Brazil. Katie Smith and Cheryl Ford were on the roster, but no Swin Cash, Yolanda Griffith, or Ruth Riley from the 2004 team and Kara Lawson did not end up playing until the 2008 team. USA Basketball definitely wants to avoid that result again though. Funnily enough, the other 4 Finals in the years of World Cups with this current scheduling ended up in sweeps.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/10/22 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

My prediction: Wilson and Gray are in. They've showed up whenever they're available and they're the best at their positions. They like having a college player on the team so I think Boston is in also.

~rAf
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/11/22 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CWilliams, McBride, Powers, McCoughtry, NHoward, Hamby and KLSamuelson all appear to be gone from the newly named group. 18 left, including six who are still in the Finals: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2022/09/2022-wnt-training-camp_9-11-22.aspx

PostPosted: 09/11/22 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
CWilliams, McBride, Powers, McCoughtry, NHoward, Hamby and KLSamuelson all appear to be gone from the newly named group. 18 left, including six who are still in the Finals: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2022/09/2022-wnt-training-camp_9-11-22.aspx

The only question is who do A'ja and Chelsea replace out of this group. All three WNBA rookies and the one college player remain on the USA roster. Whether USA takes any more of the WNBA finals players likely depends on how long the series goes.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: