RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/27/22 5:26 pm    ::: Team USA 2022 Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2022/01/wnt-feb-training-camp-athletes.aspx

February 5-7 training camp roster
Ariel Atkins (Washington Mystics)
Elena Delle Donne (Washington Mystics)
Stephanie Dolson (Chicago Sky)
Allisha Gray (Dallas Wings) - 2021 USA Basketball 3x3 Athlete of the Year
Chelsea Gray (Las Vegas Aces)
Dearica Hamby (Las Vegas Aces)
Natasha Howard (New York Liberty)
Sabrina Ionescu (New York Liberty)
Brionna Jones (Connecticut Sun)
Betnijah Laney (New York Liberty)
Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm)
Kayla McBride (Minnesota Lynx)
Angel McCoughtry (Las Vegas Aces)
Kelsey Mitchell (Indiana Fever)
Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces)
Breanna Stewart (Seattle Storm)
Alyssa Thomas (Connecticut Sun)

Delle Donne, Ionescu, Laney and Stewart will attend the USA’s training camp but will not participate in the World Cup Qualifying Tournament.

Selection Committee
Jennifer Rizzotti
Seimone Augustus
DeLisha Milton-Jones
Dawn Staley
Bethany Donaphin

No Bird or Taurasi?! Saving themselves for 2024 or out for good?
No Diggins? Might need Plum for 5x5 instead of 3x3.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 01/28/22 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/28/22 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After the Olympics I’m not surprised if Diggins declined. EDD and Angel! I guess they’re both fully recovered

Anyone know the overseas status of the following:

Griner
A’ja
Fowles
Charles

Really happy to see new faces like Laney, B Jones, and AT.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 01/28/22 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised that we don't see someone like Ogwumike on this list -- but then again, after the controversy that the Olympics stirred up, I wouldn't be surprised if Nneka was done playing for good ol' USA.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/28/22 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
After the Olympics I’m not surprised if Diggins declined. EDD and Angel! I guess they’re both fully recovered

Anyone know the overseas status of the following:

Griner
A’ja
Fowles
Charles

Really happy to see new faces like Laney, B Jones, and AT.

Griner's in Russia with UMMC, the other three aren't playing anywhere. But several of the players named in the squad are overseas and will have to travel back to play in this camp/tournament, so it's no real excuse anyway. As usual we'll likely get no explanation for why the obvious missing names aren't there.

PostPosted: 01/28/22 4:06 pm    ::: Re: Team USA 2022 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2022/01/wnt-feb-training-camp-athletes.aspx

Delle Donne, Ionescu, Laney and Stewart will attend the USA’s training camp but will not participate in the World Cup Qualifying Tournament.

that leaves 13. so they only cut one. that will be a lonely cut.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/29/22 5:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder why Wilson is not in camp

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 01/29/22 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m guessing the qualifying tournament team (February) won’t necessarily be exactly the same as the final World Cup team in September.

Awhom can correct me if I’m wrong, but the qualifying tournament for USA is just a formality since they are already qualified for the World Cup by winning the last Olympics. They don’t need to win the qualifying tournament so they don’t have to put their very best team forward, even though the players listed above should be plenty good enough to win both the qualifying tournament and the World Cup.

awhom111

PostPosted: 01/29/22 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I’m guessing the qualifying tournament team (February) won’t necessarily be exactly the same as the final World Cup team in September.

Awhom can correct me if I’m wrong, but the qualifying tournament for USA is just a formality since they are already qualified for the World Cup by winning the last Olympics. They don’t need to win the qualifying tournament so they don’t have to put their very best team forward, even though the players listed above should be plenty good enough to win both the qualifying tournament and the World Cup.

Yes, the United States and Australia qualify automatically and two other teams from their groups will join them. USA Basketball probably wants to make sure that they do not get upset in this one because people would probably be mad that FIBA did not use some other solution like just removing them from playing any games.
Shades

PostPosted: 02/05/22 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2022/02/cheryl-reeve-feature.aspx

Quote:
Point guard Sue Bird, who won her unprecedented fifth gold medal in Tokyo, and post player Sylvia Fowles, who plays for Reeve on the Lynx and has four Olympic golds, have retired from USA Basketball.

Quote:
Diana Taurasi, who joined Bird in becoming the first five-time gold medalists, has not decided whether she will continue to play for the red, white and blue.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/05/22 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8kEG0BQ35Sg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 02/08/22 3:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

World Cup Qualifying Tournament roster
Ariel Atkins (Washington Mystics)
Stephanie Dolson (Chicago Sky)
Allisha Gray (Dallas Wings)
Chelsea Gray (Las Vegas Aces)
Dearica Hamby (Las Vegas Aces)
Natasha Howard (New York Liberty)
Brionna Jones (Connecticut Sun)
Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm)
Kayla McBride (Minnesota Lynx)
Kelsey Mitchell (Indiana Fever)
Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces)
Alyssa Thomas (Connecticut Sun)

Quote:
It was so impactful to have Olympians at the camp and although three of the most veteran Olympians, Angel McCoughtry, Breanna Stewart and Elena Delle Donne, aren't ready to compete in the upcoming games, their overall presence and leadership were invaluable for our younger players.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/08/22 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
After the Olympics I’m not surprised if Diggins declined.

Me either. After two attempts to participate and basically be used as a practice only player would be disheartening for anyone with her talent level. This is my own assessment. I have no idea how she really feels.
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/08/22 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's kinda fun to see new, younger faces on that roster.

Any word about why Stewie isn't on the roster?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/08/22 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It's kinda fun to see new, younger faces on that roster.

Any word about why Stewie isn't on the roster?

Had surgery on the other Achilles (not the one she blew out before) at the end of the season. Presumably still working her way back from that. All the players who were in the training squad but not the final 12 seem to be the ones with lingering injuries they're still potentially recovering from.

PostPosted: 02/08/22 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty much every player in camp was selected, save for the the “injured”:

Stewart
Delle Donne
McCoughtry
Ionescu

Those four will probably be on the World Cup roster. Are Plum and A Gray done with 3x3?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/08/22 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TPJmJrt5jpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/08/22 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Pretty much every player in camp was selected, save for the “injured”:

Stewart
Delle Donne
McCoughtry
Ionescu

Those four will probably be on the World Cup roster. Are Plum and A Gray done with 3x3?

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/09/22 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Me either. After two attempts to participate and basically be used as a practice only player would be disheartening for anyone with her talent level. This is my own assessment. I have no idea how she really feels.

The international game is far different than the American game and I don't think SDS game translates well at all. She is just not a run the offense and control the flow of the game type of PG-she is a "create her own" type of PG. It works in Phx because Diana assumes PG duties and controls the offense. Same as Arike-Arike gets her first, second, and third, then everyone else eats.

I hate to say it, but there is a reason SDS led teams have never won squat.

canadaball

PostPosted: 02/09/22 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Sabrina still "injured"?

hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/09/22 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

The international game is far different than the American game and I don't think SDS game translates well at all. She is just not a run the offense and control the flow of the game type of PG-she is a "create her own" type of PG. It works in Phx because Diana assumes PG duties and controls the offense. Same as Arike-Arike gets her first, second, and third, then everyone else eats.

If that is the case, what good would she be as a practice player then since she would not be able to simulate the international game?
canadaball

PostPosted: 02/10/22 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Sabrina still "injured"?

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/10/22 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

I think her game translated well during the pre-Olympic tour, as far as pg duties she spent just as much as time at the point as Taurasi, if not more so especially throughout the times she was out due to injury and rest. As far as never winning, unfortunately the talent level hasn’t been the best. Her first full year with BG, they made it to the finals. Bird won her titles with LJ (who may be the greatest W player) and Stewart (who may be the greatest) before she retires, and Whalen had a cavalcade of Olympians around her. Now this is the first season where Diggins will be surrounded by top level talent at multiple positions .

In college, SDS and the Irish were never the most talented, yet they found a way to win. The fact that they got 3 straight wins over UConn in 2013, despite being less talented than the Huskies as a whole was in large part to Diggins, McBride, and Loyd routinely outplaying their backcourt UConn counterparts except for that last game in the final four where UConn finally played to their potential. If you look at both rosters, the Huskies had no business losing to them that many times in the season. The Irish had a slight edge in backcourt talent, but the Huskies talent on the wings and post (Faris, KML, Tuck, Dolson, and Stewart) was far superior to ND. Muffet absolutely deserved COY that year.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/10/22 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know of a reason why USA isn't playing Russia? Both teams play Belgium and Puerto Rico, but not eachother.

PostPosted: 02/10/22 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Anyone know of a reason why USA isn't playing Russia? Both teams play Belgium and Puerto Rico, but not eachother.

The vaccine the Russians got isn't one of the ones that allows them to travel to the US, so they're playing their games in, I think, the Dominican Republic.

(now with spelling variations)
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/10/22 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Largely because the US doesn't recognise the vaccine used in Russia, so most of their group wouldn't have been allowed into the country. Sending Russia to the Dominican Republic was what FIBA came up with as the best solution. More details here: https://www.fiba.basketball/news/fiba-statement-regarding-the-fiba-women-s-basketball-world-cup-2022-qualifying-tournament-in-washington

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: