RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ohio State at Purdue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/02/06 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Capri wrote:
stever wrote:
According to the box score, Davenport took a grand total of five shots, what is up with that?

Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton was up with that.

Describe further, please, for those of us who don't live in West Lafayette and don't get Comcast Chicago. Wisdom-Hylton has always looked like an OK player to me, but certainly not like someone capable of stopping Davenport all by herself (which Roehrig and McCarville only barely managed to do, and it took McCarville five tries in two years before she could do it enough to beat the team).

I couldn't see, but I can say that LWH is a lot more athletic than either of those players. She is a lot more of a big wing player (her position last year) playing center than a traditional center. She isn't Fowles in the least, but her mobility is a lot more like Fowles that Roehrig or McCarville.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 01/02/06 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
According to the box score, Davenport took a grand total of five shots, what is up with that?

Apparently teams have learned to deny her favorite post-ups and OSU doesn't persist in getting her the ball in other ways?

Congrats to Purdue.

I wish I had seen the game, the box score is mind boggling. The Boilers got only seven points off the a bench playing about 50 bench minutes, shot below 40%, had few trips to the foul line, Geralds was not an offensive contributer , and yet the boilers won the game! Mind boggling.

It's a big win for Purdue and gives us Gopher fans hope.

I think the rodents can play OSU tough at home and won't have to play them or Penn State away either. If they can some how get their act together they can compete for the Big Ten title this year.

PostPosted: 01/02/06 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indy Star article:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060102/SPORTS0602/601020397

desafiada6

PostPosted: 01/02/06 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisdom-Hylton did do a heck of a job on Davenport and was the primary defender. However Lawless did slide over quite a few times when Davenport had the ball on the inside to double team her. I also wanna give some props to Danielle Campbell who went in there and wasn't intimidated at all, taking it right to Davenport, Campbell could stand to gain a few pounds but I like what I see from the freshman.

Capri

PostPosted: 01/02/06 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From my seat this was how the Boilers defended Davenport:

1. They sagged everyone into the paint, she always had plenty of company. But, most of the time she wasn't actually double teamed. Thus the perimeter players had some pressue and couldn't take all day getting her a perfect entry pass.

2. They forced her to go to her (I think) left (she's left handed). Not sure if it was left or right, but do know it was the way she doesn't like going. They did this by sitting on her right (or perhaps left) shoulder all night.

3. Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton played behind her. She's an excellent shot blocker. Yesterday she used her shot blocking prowess to jump up and tip away the entry pass. Usally that pass got tipped right into the hands of another Boiler (see step 1).

4. If Davenport did manage to catch the ball, she was immediately double teamed. Purdue took its chances that Davenport would have trouble finding the open person (usually Merrill) and/or that person would miss their shot.

5. If they did miss the shot, Purdue was likely to get the rebound (see step 1 again).

ILuvCatch

PostPosted: 01/02/06 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Capri...I agree. Especially # 3. Lindsay tipped away numerous balls in the final minutes.

-Tamika Catchings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: