RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

OU defeats New Mexico 83-70

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swok34

PostPosted: 12/30/05 11:14 pm    ::: OU defeats New Mexico 83-70 Reply Reply with quote

Wow, this was a completely different team from the last two games.

Awesome game from Chelsi Welch, who had earned a place back in the starting lineup and looks like she plans to keep it. 20 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 assists. Courtney Paris picked up two early fouls and sat 17-18 minutes of the first half with 4 points and 1 rebound...then finished the game with 24 points and 15 rebounds Very Happy

Leah Rush also had double figures with 11 points and Erin Higgins with 12 points on 4 of 6 three point shots. OU finished with 22 assists. A lot of fouls called: three OU players fouled out: Leah Rush, Ashley Paris and Britney Brown.

Sure hope THIS team always gets on the bus.

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/30/05 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney is a 2nd half type of player. I dont think she had many points at half against MSU either...

PostPosted: 12/30/05 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice win swok. Its good to see OU getting back on a roll.

Btw, KSU defeated St. Peters tonight by eight. Jessica McFarland and Twiggy McIntrye both started since we were without Wheeler and Hamlin. Dietz was all tourney and Coggins was MVP. K-State is 10-1 now.

PostPosted: 12/31/05 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jimi3 wrote:

Btw, KSU defeated St. Peters tonight by eight. Jessica McFarland and Twiggy McIntrye both started since we were without Wheeler and Hamlin. Dietz was all tourney and Coggins was MVP. K-State is 10-1 now.

Awesome. Dang, I sure hate hearing about Wheeler; she's going to be an excellent player in the Big XII. All ready for the Big XII now Question Very Happy
I certainly am. It's been really difficult for me to gauge this OU team this year, maybe that will settle a little headed into conference play.

Streaks: I can't recall (wow, that was only a week ago and I was there) if Courtney was in foul trouble for the MSU game (I don't think she was, but I can't recall her play in the first half now). Tonite she wasn't on the court except the first 5 minutes after drawing an offensive foul and a defensive foul all about in a minute. She didn't come back until the second half.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 12/31/05 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:
Jimi3 wrote:

Awesome. Dang, I sure hate hearing about Wheeler; she's going to be an excellent player in the Big XII. All ready for the Big XII now Question Very Happy
I certainly am. It's been really difficult for me to gauge this OU team this year, maybe that will settle a little headed into conference play.

Streaks: I can't recall (wow, that was only a week ago and I was there) if Courtney was in foul trouble for the MSU game (I don't think she was, but I can't recall her play in the first half now). Tonite she wasn't on the court except the first 5 minutes after drawing an offensive foul and a defensive foul all about in a minute. She didn't come back until the second half.

swok,

were you there? If so, so was I. Great game. Did you catch Courtney grab a blocked pass by Britney and take it from mid-court all the way to the hole in a fast break under pressure and put the two in easily.

Chelsi also had some crazy moves inside. The best thing they did was jumping out early and taking out that humongous crowd. They were fairly quiet most of the game.

UNM looked terrible, I've seen them play much, much better.

PostPosted: 12/31/05 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Giraffe...

no, I was listening on the radio from here in Norman. Sounds like OU really played well though. What is up with Marsh? I thought she was not only a starter, but the high scorer? I was surprised to see that she didn't start.

I hope "this" Chelsi comes to every game. Penetrating and drawing fouls is a large part of her game and it's something they haven't focused on this season. I'm glad she brought that part, or the coaches gameplanned that part.

Row6Seat10

PostPosted: 12/31/05 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No tryptophan effect in Albuquerque tonight I see. Good win by OU.

swok34

PostPosted: 12/31/05 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Row6Seat10 wrote:

LOL, row6.......Sherri made 'em eat ham. No Turkey!!

giraffe, did you see this? the radio people didn't say anything about it.

With No. 20 Oklahoma safely in front late in the second half, Sooners freshman sensation Courtney Paris was hit in the back by a ball tossed by a New Mexico fan.
"I have a lot of respect for New Mexico fans because of the environment here and their huge support for women's basketball, but I thought that was the most classless thing ever," Paris said.

I think that may have been Chelsi Welch's first double double ever.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 12/31/05 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

swok34 wrote:
Row6Seat10 wrote:

LOL, row6.......Sherri made 'em eat ham. No Turkey!!

giraffe, did you see this? the radio people didn't say anything about it.

With No. 20 Oklahoma safely in front late in the second half, Sooners freshman sensation Courtney Paris was hit in the back by a ball tossed by a New Mexico fan.
"I have a lot of respect for New Mexico fans because of the environment here and their huge support for women's basketball, but I thought that was the most classless thing ever," Paris said.

I think that may have been Chelsi Welch's first double double ever.

No I didn't see that!!!!!!!!!!!! There were 13,000 fans at the game and I got CRAP seats at the last minute. I was on the other side of the Pit from the visitors bench. However, a co-worker of mine sits right behind the visitors bench and I will ask her about it. I don't go back to work until Tuesday, so I won't have any info until then.

UNM fans are definitely "rabid". But OU just took them out tonite. For a crowd of 13,000, it was the quietest I've seen them in a long time. They can be deafening. I wore my OU gear, as did my mother who is visiting me from Norman, and we were treated ok. Most fans here are still in that excited phase, they are not jaded. They are still excited that UNM is ranked so high, and they're just happy to be mentioned on the ESPN website. Its funny how much they love women's basketball here since this is like a sports wasteland. Sports pages are a joke: even the Sunday edition can be read in 10 minutes (and I read pretty much everything in the sports page)

Chelsi was unbelievable tonite. I was blown away by her. Kendra didn't have many stats, but she was good too. Her defense and speed was great. Kendra and Britney were just too quick for UNM. They just killed them.

PostPosted: 12/31/05 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other general thoughts:

One thing I saw were some plays being run that focused on Chelsi and/or the ball handler penetrating and either drawing the foul, or passing off to an open player; and some pick and roll plays for Courtney. They were tremendously successful and I hope they continue to work on that type of offense. Chelsi did one give and go that was just gorgeous.

They did alot of running but some of that was because they were stealing alot and getting some fast breaks in. They didn't play the level of ball they need to play in March, but for December it was pretty good. There was definite improvement from the preseason WNIT game (of which I was present) in their control of the game and offense. If they continue to improve and grow more cohesive at this rate, by March they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: