RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/01/22 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
eibln wrote:

Just in case anybody names coach Arico as a candidate for a high profile job this season or the future. She is a Michigan “lifer”. Likely will get a good contract extension after this season anyway.

Isn't that what everyone believed about Kim Mulkey?

I thought so too. But after she up and left Baylor, I have a hard time believing that anyone is truly untouchable.

To start, Mulkey and KBA have different make-ups and different relationships with their ADs (former in Mulkey's case). In addition, Mulkey is from La. and didn't have young kids whereas KBA still has kids in middle and high school. So even though Mulkey had been at Baylor for twenty-plus years, I'd be more surprised if KBA left Michigan (especially in the next 5-6years) than I was when Mulkey left Baylor. Never know of course but that's my 2 cents.

Maybe, but the programs they would be leaving are light years apart also. Mulkey walked away from one of the most elite programs in the nation ( that she had personally built). Three championships, ten elite 8s, and who knows how many conference titles. No one does something like that, which is why it was shocking and virtually unprecedented. There was nowhere for her to move up, and frankly she moved down. There are LOTS of schools that would be an enormous step up for Arico, from a school that has a single sweet 16 appearance to its name. I wouldn't be surprised at all if (and that's a big "if") she had the opportunity to take over at an elite program, whether she would actually say no on the chance she might someday be able to win at Michigan. You think if, say, the Stanford job became available that she would turn it down if offered? Seriously?

If Stanford offered her in the next 5 years I don't think it would be a slam dunk and I would not be at all surprised if she wouldn't even purse a Stanford-like job if it came open in the next 5 years. That's just my opinion. We're all entitled to one, right? Smile

eibln

PostPosted: 03/03/22 5:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
eibln wrote:

Just in case anybody names coach Arico as a candidate for a high profile job this season or the future. She is a Michigan “lifer”. Likely will get a good contract extension after this season anyway.

I thought so too. But after she up and left Baylor, I have a hard time believing that anyone is truly untouchable.

To start, Mulkey and KBA have different make-ups and different relationships with their ADs (former in Mulkey's case). In addition, Mulkey is from La. and didn't have young kids whereas KBA still has kids in middle and high school. So even though Mulkey had been at Baylor for twenty-plus years, I'd be more surprised if KBA left Michigan (especially in the next 5-6years) than I was when Mulkey left Baylor. Never know of course but that's my 2 cents.

Maybe, but the programs they would be leaving are light years apart also. Mulkey walked away from one of the most elite programs in the nation ( that she had personally built). Three championships, ten elite 8s, and who knows how many conference titles. No one does something like that, which is why it was shocking and virtually unprecedented. There was nowhere for her to move up, and frankly she moved down. There are LOTS of schools that would be an enormous step up for Arico, from a school that has a single sweet 16 appearance to its name. I wouldn't be surprised at all if (and that's a big "if") she had the opportunity to take over at an elite program, whether she would actually say no on the chance she might someday be able to win at Michigan. You think if, say, the Stanford job became available that she would turn it down if offered? Seriously?

If Stanford offered her in the next 5 years I don't think it would be a slam dunk and I would not be at all surprised if she wouldn't even purse a Stanford-like job if it came open in the next 5 years. That's just my opinion. We're all entitled to one, right? Smile

I don’t believe Arico would pursue a Stanford like job. Academics are similar between the two schools and Stanford has tradition, culture, and prestige but I just don’t see Arico being interested. She is building/built a stable program on her own terms, similar to a Carol Hutchins type build when Hutch first got to Michigan as softball coach. AD Warde Manuel and KBA have a fantastic relationship and she likely will get another extension and raise after another historic season, baring a complete collapse in the NCAA Tourney. KBA can have and will get basically anything she wants at Michigan, plus it’s one of the top institutions and athletics departments in the country. The only job I could see her maybe taking is UConn because it is closer to her family and where she is from. Honestly Stanford and VanDerveer probably already have someone in mind which could quite possibly be KBA, but I don’t see her moving even farther away from her family. If she leaves Michigan she is going back to the Northeast area. Wouldn’t be shocked if Syracuse gave a KBA a call to gauge her interest, but I highly doubt she would take it. And doesn’t Chris Dailey have the UConn job in the bag already?

eibln

PostPosted: 03/03/22 5:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
eibln wrote:

I don’t believe Arico would pursue a Stanford like job. Academics are similar between the two schools and Stanford has tradition, culture, and prestige but I just don’t see Arico being interested. She is building/built a stable program on her own terms, similar to a Carol Hutchins type build when Hutch first got to Michigan as softball coach. AD Warde Manuel and KBA have a fantastic relationship and she likely will get another extension and raise after another historic season, baring a complete collapse in the NCAA Tourney. KBA can have and will get basically anything she wants at Michigan, plus it’s one of the top institutions and athletics departments in the country. The only job I could see her maybe taking is UConn because it is closer to her family and where she is from. Honestly Stanford and VanDerveer probably already have someone in mind which could quite possibly be KBA, but I don’t see her moving even farther away from her family. If she leaves Michigan she is going back to the Northeast area. Wouldn’t be shocked if Syracuse gave a KBA a call to gauge her interest, but I highly doubt she would take it. And doesn’t Chris Dailey have the UConn job in the bag already?

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/03/22 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
eibln wrote:

Re: the Stanford job after Tara retires, I think Kate Paye is a lock to get it. I don't think CD will be the new head coach after Geno retires. I think CD will leave with Geno and UConn would hire Berube, Ralph or somebody else.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/03/22 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who on earth wants to follow Geno? That hire will never be able to live up to those accomplishments. Talk about being set up to fail. If anything, you want to be the person that follows the person that follows the legend.

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/03/22 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why the huge love for KBA? Cori Close from UCLA seems to be very much disliked yet her record is better and her post season record is much better. Many say Close has done little with more but she's still done more with that more than KBA.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/22 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Why the huge love for KBA? Cori Close from UCLA seems to be very much disliked yet her record is better and her post season record is much better. Many say Close has done little with more but she's still done more with that more than KBA.

I didn't mean to suggest I was a huge Arico fan (indeed, that was reflected in my "big if" of her being offered an elite job), nor was I suggesting that the Stanford job wasn't already taken, but just used it as an example of a really elite job that would likely be open sooner rather than later

I think Close has done more, but has had vastly more talent to work with than Arico. Actually, that may be a more serious negative for Arico, though, because while Close has certainly recruited well, Arico has consistently failed to attract the top tier elite talent one needs to seriously contend for a national title.

BTW, do people consider the UConn job post-Geno a truly elite national job? Sure, it has tradition and history and reputation, but I consider those advantages largely personal and Geno-centric, not inherent in the school or conference, and not readily transferable to a different HC, unless perhaps it is someone who is extremely close to Geno and has been at UConn for a while and can act and be considered as a continuation of the Geno era. Otherwise, it is a top or the top Big East team which would seem to put it somewhat above DePaul or Villanova, but well below the best of the SEC, PAC or ACC. Geno is the top coach in WBB at this time and while he is at UConn, UConn is at the top of WBB. But that doesn't necessarily make UConn the top job after he's gone, and I'm not referring to any "follow a legend" problem reasons.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 03/03/22 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 03/03/22 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virginia has announced the termination of Tina Thompson's contract

PostPosted: 03/03/22 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

About damn time.

PostPosted: 03/03/22 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

The official release:

"CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia director of athletics Carla Williams announced today (March 3) the termination of head women’s basketball coach Tina Thompson’s contract. Thompson had one year remaining on her contract after being named the program’s head coach on April 16, 2018. Williams said a national search will begin immediately to name the program’s next head coach.

“Unfortunately, we have not experienced the kind of success this program has come to expect and deserve,” Williams said. “I am thankful for Coach Thompson’s efforts and I wish her the very best.”

During her four-year tenure at Virginia, Thompson’s teams produced a 30-63 record. This year’s UVA team was eliminated from the Atlantic Coach Conference tournament on Tuesday following a 61-53 loss to Wake Forest in the first round."

That should be a pretty darn good job if they do a decent search and sales job. AND if they are willing to pay an appropriate salary (a very big if). If they are serious about trying, they ought to be able to hire a really good coach.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/03/22 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charli Turner Thorne retiring at Arizona State

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2022/03/03/asu-charli-turner-thorne-stepping-down/

PostPosted: 03/03/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Charli Turner Thorne retiring at Arizona State

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2022/03/03/asu-charli-turner-thorne-stepping-down/

Are they pushing her out for not keeping up with the upstarts like AZ and OR, or is she just worn out after 25 years?

Has there been a lot of grumbling about ASU's performance of late?

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/03/22 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

I think KBA is a better program-builder than Close. I will admit to bias here, though, what with having been a St. John's season ticket holder during her reign and sitting in the same section as her family. But I saw the way she developed St. John's not just in terms of getting players, but in proactively garnering support from the institution to build attendance and fan support. It's a very marked contrast to the current attitude. Folks in Ann Arbor will have to provide their on-site take regarding Michigan.

PostPosted: 03/03/22 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I think KBA is a better program-builder than Close. I will admit to bias here, though, what with having been a St. John's season ticket holder during her reign and sitting in the same section as her family. But I saw the way she developed St. John's not just in terms of getting players, but in proactively garnering support from the institution to build attendance and fan support. It's a very marked contrast to the current attitude. Folks in Ann Arbor will have to provide their on-site take regarding Michigan.

That's an interesting take, and I have seen some UVA fans express how important it is for them to hire a new coach who can rebuild fan support and attendance which have died completely the past few years.

I guess I've always looked at it that if the coach can build a succesful, winning, competitive, exciting program, fan support will follow. I guess that is not necessarily always the case. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that the two objectives require the same skill sets. Someone can be a highly skilled tactician, teacher, recruiter and coach without having the glad handing, meet & greet, public speaking skills and sparkling personality to get students, season ticket holders, and contributors to warm up to them. And vice versa; you can be popular and still fail in wins and losses.

So a school needs to decide what's important to them.

But if I'm AD, I'm telling you your job is to just win. I'll get somebody else to handle public relations and marketing if I have to. So all the "she garnered support and sold tickets" doesn't impress me unless you win conference titles, tournament games, beat our rivals and get the media talking about how succesful and competitive you made the program. Now if you do both, that's great. Many of the best coaches are beloved by fans and generate tremendous support (eg, Geno, Kim, Muffet, Dawn), but I'm not sure Tara, for example, does to the same extent even though she's a tremendous coach.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/03/22 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KBA's recent track record at Michigan:

--program first Sweet 16 in 2020-2021
--Naz Hillmon conference POY 2020-2021
--program best regular season ever in 2021-2022
--top 25 recruiting class (per ESPN) coming in for 2022-2023

I think she's done a great job and has the program trending up.

PostPosted: 03/03/22 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Many of the best coaches are beloved by fans and generate tremendous support (eg, Geno, Kim, Muffet, Dawn), but I'm not sure Tara, for example, does to the same extent even though she's a tremendous coach.

My impression is that Tara DOES generate that kind of fan support to the same extent, albeit in a different way. When I attended the '11 FF in Indy, I had bought 'extra' tickets from a season ticket holder, and was able to mingle with the Stanford Fans at their mixers (their buffet was incredible!Very Happy), I was kinda shocked at how her fans L.O.V.E.D. her....she's not the *fuzzy-warm*, rah-rah kinda coach, but she relates genuinely in her own way with the fans.

Now that's just one snapshot/glimpse of that program (and I know Myrtle can add a lot more, knowing Tara as a fan and former player), but I'd say Stanford's popularity at Maples is due in large part to Tara.

Another one who does this well is Kelly Graves, imo. When I see the crowds that they draw at MKA, and what he had going at Gonzaga, it all matches with what I've learned about him.

PostPosted: 03/03/22 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ll also admit that I don’t know how much of it was KBA directly and how much of it was other people in her administration or in the school’s administration in general. All I can tell you is that during her time at St. John’s, there were bus ads with Da’Shena Stevens’ face on them on the buses that ran down Union Turnpike and Utopia Parkway (those being the streests that abut St. John’s, and there were public appearances by the team, and there were youth groups at games, and there were dorm raids that encouraged students to come out. Now there are no ads, and no appearances (hell, we haven’t even had a team autograph session since the season before the plague), and precious few youth groups, and the student section is usually one dude who is amazing but is also not technically a student anymore.

PostPosted: 03/04/22 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
...and the student section is usually one dude who is amazing but is also not technically a student anymore.

ROFL Laughing

PostPosted: 03/04/22 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I’ll also admit that I don’t know how much of it was KBA directly and how much of it was other people in her administration or in the school’s administration in general. All I can tell you is that during her time at St. John’s, there were bus ads with Da’Shena Stevens’ face on them on the buses that ran down Union Turnpike and Utopia Parkway (those being the streests that abut St. John’s, and there were public appearances by the team, and there were youth groups at games, and there were dorm raids that encouraged students to come out. Now there are no ads, and no appearances (hell, we haven’t even had a team autograph session since the season before the plague), and precious few youth groups, and the student section is usually one dude who is amazing but is also not technically a student anymore.

That difference in advertising and promotion sounds more like the AD'S responsibility. Although the appearances and outreach by the team members would usually fall on the coach I believe. Is there a different AD now than there was then?

Again, my point was not to say she wasn't good at publicizing the team; only that that is a different skill set than winning games. Being a good marketeer may lead to ticket sales but doesn't win titles.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/04/22 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
KBA's recent track record at Michigan:

--program first Sweet 16 in 2020-2021
--Naz Hillmon conference POY 2020-2021
--program best regular season ever in 2021-2022
--top 25 recruiting class (per ESPN) coming in for 2022-2023

I think she's done a great job and has the program trending up.

She's in her tenth year. That's a pretty gentle slope on that trend line.

I suppose it depends on what your goals are.

eibln

PostPosted: 03/04/22 5:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I think you hit it right on the nail. Close has not done more than KBA really. One Elite Eight is really the only difference. They have similar records at their current schools too. There is also big difference between the two schools. Close walked into a school that was already successful and had at least something good established. KBA had to come into Michigan, a school with no womens basketball history at all and establish a winning culture and a fan base which they never had before. UCLA has struggled to find its way to the top as things get tougher in the pac-12. They should look better next year than they do this year at UCLA.

I think KBA has done much more. She has established a culture and a great fan base. And I will answer your question Queenie that KBA does do a lot of the advertising/marketing at Michigan, yes she has gotten help from a cooperative AD as well as other internal support from other women program builders like Carol Hutchins and Bev Plocki. Not to mention both John Beilein and Juwan Howard have been backing her up. She is also quite the coach and has developed some great talent through her years at Michigan, Hillmon being one of the many to come. Michigan has found it’a way finally. Michigan fans are very proud of her. Don’t be shocked if Michigan makes a deep run this year, the can beat anyone. Replacing Hillmon will be KBA’s next big task at U of M.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/04/22 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I didn't mean to suggest I was a huge Arico fan (indeed, that was reflected in my "big if" of her being offered an elite job), nor was I suggesting that the Stanford job wasn't already taken, but just used it as an example of a really elite job that would likely be open sooner rather than later

I think Close has done more, but has had vastly more talent to work with than Arico. Actually, that may be a more serious negative for Arico, though, because while Close has certainly recruited well, Arico has consistently failed to attract the top tier elite talent one needs to seriously contend for a national title.

BTW, do people consider the UConn job post-Geno a truly elite national job? Sure, it has tradition and history and reputation, but I consider those advantages largely personal and Geno-centric, not inherent in the school or conference, and not readily transferable to a different HC, unless perhaps it is someone who is extremely close to Geno and has been at UConn for a while and can act and be considered as a continuation of the Geno era. Otherwise, it is a top or the top Big East team which would seem to put it somewhat above DePaul or Villanova, but well below the best of the SEC, PAC or ACC. Geno is the top coach in WBB at this time and while he is at UConn, UConn is at the top of WBB. But that doesn't necessarily make UConn the top job after he's gone, and I'm not referring to any "follow a legend" problem reasons.

If UCONN were still in the AAC, no. We would've gone down with the likes of ODU and LaTech, etc....

Now that we're back in the BE, which is a great conference in men's basketball, I think that really helps. That, and the fact that UCONN knows what is has and will pay top $$$ to any coach they hire.

FWIW-I think Shea Ralph is doing what Niele Ivey did when she left for the pros, before coming back to ND. I think Muffett retired earlier than she planned on and Ivey came back after one year. I see Geno being at UCONN until Fudd graduates, at least, and I think the plan is to let Shea get her feet wet at Vandy and then bring her back to Storrs.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/04/22 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
eibln wrote:

I've been thinking about this Syracuse job a lot. I just don't think you'll get a coach from a P5 program to leave and come here. This program was an absolute dumpster fire for 3-4 years, but with a ton of talent. It's going to take a monumental effort to overhaul this and I don't trust the Syracuse administration to offer top dollar for this.

Names I think Syracuse should looks closely at:

1. Felicia Legett-Jack. She is from Syracuse, she went to school there, just had her number retired, and she's done a great job at Buffalo. Yes, her time at Indiana wasn't great. But she will have a much easier time recruiting here than she did in the Midwest.

2. Meghan Duffy-As much as I don't want her to leave the BE, she is a great coach, young, energetic, and from what I can see, connects with the players well.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/04/22 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A friend heard this morning in Indy that Nancy Fahey will be retiring. If so, this job will be interesting. It’s been a long time since it was relevant - last NCAA trip was under Grentz in 2003. Years ago the Michigan job was considered one where coaches failed in the Big Ten. Now I think that’s Illinois. Who takes that risk?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/04/22 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy Fahey out at Illinois

https://twitter.com/itsallG_O_O_D/status/1499777663627636743

Quote:
Illini women’s basketball coach Nancy Fahey has retired after five seasons and a 42-99 record.

Illinois will begin a national search for its next coach immediately.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 3 of 44

Jump to: