RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/01/22 5:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Mercury's Skylar Diggins-Smith hits coach Vanessa Nygaard with clown emoji after perceived snub

Nygaard was irked that Mercury guard Diana Taurasi wasn't named among the WNBA's All-Star starters or the reserves who were announced on Tuesday. She addressed the subject during a news conference on Wednesday.

"I reiterate that she should be an All-Star," Nygaard told reporters. "There will be a game in Chicago, but it will not be an All-Star game because Diana Taurasi's not playing."

Diggins-Smith is an All-Star. She appeared to take Nygaard's comments as a personal affront. So she retweeted team video of Nygaard's statement accompanied by a clown emoji.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mercurys-skyar-diggins-smith-hits-coach-vanessa-nygaard-with-clown-emoji-after-perceived-snub-050846851.html

That was quick... Exclamation Idea

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 07/01/22 6:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Taurasi cares at all about the fact that she wasn't selected. Can respect the sentiment, but this year it wouldn't have made sense. (Some others were questionable, too - the popularity contest factor is always in play.)

I also think it was tacky and unnecessary what Nygaard said. Just dissed a whole group of All-Stars, implying that it's not a valid team without Taurasi on it.

I see from the article that Nygaard positively acknowledged SDS' selection, which wasn't clear before. But is there beef between her and SDS? I can't really tell in that other clip if SDS was expressing overall frustration or if it was being directly addressed at Nygaard.

Of course the mainstream media would pick up on this pettiness... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/01/22 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is terrible leadership by SDS. Your team is on a 3-game-winning streak, currently in 8th place, and could move up to as high 6th place and avoid Chicago/Vegas in the first rd...Why post some crap like that...SDS clearly wants to be traded.

Last edited by zune69 on 07/01/22 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 07/01/22 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not the biggest Nygaard fan, but the veterans on this team really need to grow up.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 07/01/22 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Not the biggest Nygaard fan, but the veterans on this team really need to grow up.

x..............

PostPosted: 07/02/22 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Diggins-Smith calling Nygaard a clown on social media. It keeps getting better and better lol

https://twitter.com/skydigg4/status/1542684428937203712?s=21&t=RxtyKq24GIVIFWpK8icmWQ

Merc plays the Sky on Saturday....that's going to be an awkward ass roadtrip. Laughing
The Mercury needs a reality show. I'm here for it. Laughing

Hoop! There it is!😂😎

PostPosted: 07/02/22 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Diggins-Smith calling Nygaard a clown on social media. It keeps getting better and better lol

https://twitter.com/skydigg4/status/1542684428937203712?s=21&t=RxtyKq24GIVIFWpK8icmWQ

Merc plays the Sky on Saturday....that's going to be an awkward ass roadtrip. Laughing
The Mercury needs a reality show. I'm here for it. Laughing

Hoop! There it is!😂😎

I see what you did there.... Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 07/04/22 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E1CYEKGkZok" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 07/04/22 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5W9eMIhPNlY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/04/22 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E1CYEKGkZok" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jeesh, I'd need a tall, stiff drink after that press conference.

PostPosted: 07/06/22 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
tfan wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Jeesh, I'd need a tall, stiff drink after that press conference.

And Phoenix is reportedly shopping SDS. Who's interested in acquiring an All*Star who can't seem to get along with anybody? Oh wait...there's LA...known for acquiring talent no other team wants.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/06/22 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reported by whom?

It wouldn't surprise me but hard to give up an allstar quality player.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/06/22 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Reported by whom?

Megdal

https://www.theixsports.com/basketball/nygaard-diggins-smith-mercury-clown/

Quote:
Phoenix is shopping her, multiple teams confirmed to me

PostPosted: 07/06/22 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess the multiple teams that told him aren't interested in SDS at the asking price.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/06/22 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Reported by whom?

Phoenix needs to blow it up and acquire picks. They went all in and fate had other plans, unfortunately. Get whatever you can for SDS and Diamond, DT likely retires at the end of the year. No one knows the timetable for BG, but even if she were released today, there is no telling when she would be emotionally ready to compete, if ever.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 07/06/22 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Reported by whom?

Not if she breaks your team unless maybe it is HER team?

Talented and plays hard as heck but seems to have recurring issues with any organization she plays for?

I mean any player/person can just need a change without that meaning there is a larger issue...but at some point when it becomes a pattern...IDK.

PostPosted: 07/06/22 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Reported by whom?

Phoenix needs to blow it up and acquire picks. They went all in and fate had other plans, unfortunately. Get whatever you can for SDS and Diamond, DT likely retires at the end of the year. No one knows the timetable for BG, but even if she were released today, there is no telling when she would be emotionally ready to compete, if ever.

It would come as a surprise to me if DT retired at the end of this season. Nothing she has stated to the media suggests that. I don’t know if I see her making a surprise announcement without a media tour similar to Bird.

I’d like to keep Diamond for the rebuild as her best years are to come in my opinion.

I am fully on the team of trade for a pick or don’t trade at all. We need early first rounders to build the team up. This franchise has made critical drafting errors in recent years that have hindered growth. Dumping Courtney Williams being the best example. We got lucky with Cunningham and Turner.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 07/06/22 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I kinda agree with getting whatever you can for SDS and maybe Diamond. Keep Turner, Cunningham, and Nurse as some of your pieces moving forward and fill in the gaps through drafting and free agency.

Kelsey Plum could possibly be in play once free agency opens.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/06/22 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The trade deadline is July 15th

PostPosted: 07/06/22 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The trade deadline is July 15th

Just wondering if anyone else is sad that another very talented player can't seem to get along with...anyone? Skylar just has a knack for alienating virtually everyone she crosses tracks with. DAMN can she play...but all that sulking when she barely saw the floor in the Olympic did not bode well for her being selected for the team in the future. This doesn't help either. Too bad since she is talented and has worked HARD on her game. But if nobody wants to play with her, she won't play. She just does not seem to understand at all that getting along with teammates and coaches is part of what makes a great player. She seems to think that by working to improve her game, the awards should be handed to her. It just doesn't work like that.

Seriously, which team will bring her in? I just can't see any team being willing. We know Indiana is playing for Boston. Most solid coaches insist on a drama-free zone (LA excepted, but they haven't had a solid coach or GM in years).

Will this finally be the teaching moment Skylar needs to succeed in this league? Will this snap her out of her own head? Or will she just fizzle away?

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 07/06/22 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After that first sentence I thought you were talking about Taurasi. She's had a long history of running off star teammates.

PostPosted: 07/07/22 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana would probably like to have an all-star on their roster.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/07/22 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

figuring out some trade for SDS is not an easy task

on one hand she is a top ten player but putting aside other issues for the moment she is on a max contract 227K and anyone taking her on would have to send back close to equal money to fit her under their cap before we even talk about picks

In short even if teams had first round picks that PX would want (which a lot of teams don't many 23 1st round picks have been traded) PX still has to take back matching salary.

The best I could come up with (and tbh I could still have the money wrong)

SDS to Atl for A. McDonald, K. Vaughn and 23 first round pick originally owned by Washington (5-Cool
variation SDS to Atl for Wheeler and Wallace and Washinton's first round pick

SDS to Indy for K. Mitchell (or Hartley if the money works which might be better for PX since Hartley comes off the books next season) and 1st round pick originally owned by Dallas (lottery to six, Indy retains its own pick)

SDS to Indy for T. Mitchell and V. Vivians and 1st round pick originally owned by Dallas (lottery to 6, Indy retains its own pick)

here is a weird one
SDS for Bonner and Conn's first round pick 8-12 (not sure why Conn does this unless they think Diggins-Smith can be more productive for therm then Bonner) but if they feel A. Thomas can be more of a 3 full-time a Diggins-Smith-Smith C. Williams back-court could be interesting

the problem with LA is they have no 1st round picks in 23 so it would be just for players and a 2nd round pick, LA does have some cap room which makes for more options

SDS for Canada and Sykes or you could replace one of Canada or Sykes with KLS or Carter or do C. Ogumike and any of the four above and LA could throw in their second round pick looking like 15-18 depending on how things play out
I feel like the most realistic combos would be
Sykes and Carter
Canada and KLS

I don'r think Seattle, Chicago or LV would want to mess with their success and unless you are willing to give up Copper, Loyd, Or Ch. Gray they don't really have matching salary (Vegas could do Colson and R. Williams but also do not have a 1st round pick in 23) Washingtonand Minnesota can't trade because they are already at 11 and 10 players respectively and could only match salary by sending out two players unless they do EDD or Fowles and I don't even think Fowles would work so while both the teams have 1st round picks they can't match salary. NY could put something together but I don't think they would risk their pick and the something would have to be like Dolson and Richards or Whitcomb or Allen and Willoughby or Onyenwere and without a pick attached I don't see PX doing it unless it like a Westbrook or Kyrie situation and they just want Diggins-Smith-Smith gone.

So while I think Indy and Atl probably have the best packages because of the pick I don't think Atl needs to accelerate its rebuild and they seem to be working on culture and chemistry and the team is clearly being build around R. Howard so I doubt Atl pulls the trigger. Indy might like a star, if they can get Diggins-Smith for either of the trade that don't involve K. Mitchell it might be a good move, but at the end of the day if it happens I think it will be LA
so SDS for
Sykes/Carter
or Canada/KLS and a 2nd round pick in 23

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/07/22 2:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nvm

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/07/22 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
After that first sentence I thought you were talking about Taurasi. She's had a long history of running off star teammates.

She really doesn’t. Hell, she married one. In fact, most players who play with her have been outspoken as to how great of a teammate she is. (And no, Cappie, DeWanna and Dupree weren’t about Taurasi)

Skylar..I’d love to know who the problem with. If it’s just with Diana (I don’t even think it is, nothing on court gives that impression with the exception of that one night..) then the Merc need to choose Skylar.

Is it with the coach? Because if that’s the case, why on earth would Phoenix choose a new coach over Skylar.

Is there a problem with Skylar and someone else or a few other people?

Or is a Phoenix just thinking it’s time to blow it up - and Skylar has the most value. And if that’s the case, personally…I hope they talk to DT about whether she wants to spend her final years on a team starting out, or whether she wants a ring elsewhere.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: