Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan

PostPosted: 06/26/22 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:
While I see what you are saying I think MANY people had this sentiment when BG left. BG got a pass because we were in a global pandemic and fighting for civil rights. That is hard for a lot of people especially if you are playing year round basketball. Clearly BG needed a break and she came back the next season playing like an MVP.

You think that "MANY" people had the sentiment that Phoenix playing better after Griner went home was a referendum on Griner? I'd like to see some receipts on that.

I don’t know how to look but I feel like this board was in agreement. Plus we literally DID play better after she left…

She didn’t get the Tina treatment because her and Tina are not the same.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/26/22 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
I don’t know how to look but I feel like this board was in agreement. Plus we literally DID play better after she left

That's an oversimplification of what I'm talking about, and I find myself surprised that I have to explain this. I am talking about the way the discourse is framed: when Phoenix plays better after Griner decides that she needs to sit out for her mental health, the discourse is about how her teammates stepped up, how they played for her, etc. When Phoenix plays better after Charles' leaves, the discourse is about how they're actually a better team without her, because nobody liked her, anyway, how she was selfish, how she was a cancer who was holding the team back, and so on. Because when I say it was different, that's what I mean. Find me the posts where rebkellians were co-signing a player who was willing to say, "Fuck Brittney Griner" in front of a hot mic.

Quote:

This is a tautology; I know that they're not the same, that's evident, and I said as much, just using different words. My assertion is that it doesn't matter if they're "the same," what matters is if we like you or not.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
mercfan

PostPosted: 06/26/22 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:
I don’t know how to look but I feel like this board was in agreement. Plus we literally DID play better after she left

That's an oversimplification of what I'm talking about, and I find myself surprised that I have to explain this. I am talking about the way the discourse is framed: when Phoenix plays better after Griner decides that she needs to sit out for her mental health, the discourse is about how her teammates stepped up, how they played for her, etc. When Phoenix plays better after Charles' leaves, the discourse is about how they're actually a better team without her, because nobody liked her, anyway, how she was selfish, how she was a cancer who was holding the team back, and so on. Because when I say it was different, that's what I mean. Find me the posts where rebkellians were co-signing a player who was willing to say, "Fuck Brittney Griner" in front of a hot mic.

Quote:

This is a tautology; I know that they're not the same, that's evident, and I said as much, just using different words. My assertion is that it doesn't matter if they're "the same," what matters is if we like you or not.

Totally fair points.

At the end of the day, it’s all too bad because had BG been available I think Tina would have been deadly off the bench. Unfortunately, it sounds like the bench was never going to be an option for Tina.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/26/22 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Totally fair points, but I’d counter that no one screamed “Fuck Brittney Griner” after the teams first win without her. Laughing

Again, I really don’t blame Tina - I thi k there were a lot of strong personalities on a team that started the season in emotional distress, with a brand new coach.

I can understand Tina not being happy. I can understand her teammates being frustrated with her if she’s complaining about not getting the ball, and after quitting on the team.

It’s an easily understandable both sides and the team has a lot of explosive personalities to go along with it.

I hope she does well in Seattle, I really do. And I hope her departure is beneficial to Phoenix too.

Edit: totally get what you are saying btw, I’m just not sure this is the best example. Right now, given her situation, everyone loves BG - but I’d guess she actually has more haters than Tina. Most fans don’t seem to hate her, it’s just a loud few that do. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/26/22 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so who is out there for the Merc to sign? It's not like they can play the rest of the year with two posts.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/27/22 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They recently cut Anigwe. Is she too low bar? At least she has some training with them.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/27/22 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect that about now Sandy is thanking her lucky stars.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 06/27/22 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alanna Smith is available. Twisted Evil

Or if they can convince Monika Czinano to leave the law firm.

I’d also wager that someone like Erica McCall who provided some good minutes for the mystics last year is worth a look or Hannah Sjerven!

The reality is that unless they get Vadeeva, Sandrine Gruda, or Lauren Jackson to come over, there’s not really a lot of great options out there.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/27/22 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kylee Shook is out there. Avery Warley is a perennial mid-season replacement. Elissa Cunane is worth a look.

PostPosted: 06/27/22 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Alanna Smith is available. Twisted Evil

Or if they can convince Monika Czinano to leave the law firm.

I’d also wager that someone like Erica McCall who provided some good minutes for the mystics last year is worth a look or Hannah Sjerven!

The reality is that unless they get Vadeeva, Sandrine Gruda, or Lauren Jackson to come over, there’s not really a lot of great options out there.

Aren't all three of their rights spoken for?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/27/22 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vadeeva's suspended rights are held by LA, Jackson's retired rights are held by Seattle. I believe Gruda's an unrestricted free agent.

As Milic has illustrated, there are other foreigners out there who can produce at this level, but it's inevitably more complicated than signing an American. Kennedy Burke? She's probably more of a 4 than Cunningham or DeShields, who were their 4s in their recent upset win.

PostPosted: 06/27/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Burke was a SG in college.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 06/27/22 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merc sign Reshanda Gray and Jennie Simms

PostPosted: 06/27/22 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Totally fair points, but I’d counter that no one screamed “Fuck Brittney Griner” after the teams first win without her. Laughing

Again, I really don’t blame Tina - I thi k there were a lot of strong personalities on a team that started the season in emotional distress, with a brand new coach.

I can understand Tina not being happy. I can understand her teammates being frustrated with her if she’s complaining about not getting the ball, and after quitting on the team.

It’s an easily understandable both sides and the team has a lot of explosive personalities to go along with it.

I hope she does well in Seattle, I really do. And I hope her departure is

beneficial to Phoenix too.

1. Tina should have got more touches than she did as she was the only low post presence they had. This falls on the coach. We have watched Tina for years and we can tell you as fans where she is effective with the basketball.
it is not shooting corner threes.

I did see instances where Skylar made an effort to give her touches in the post, however, I don't think this was a play ran for Tina.

2. Sure there are strong personalities. We seen them clash in Vegas. That doesn't mean

Tina's departure which was mutually agreeed upon by herself, agent and the GM btw doesn't mean that she quit on the Mercury in my opinion.

The main question is now who will PHX get. I like Gray but a long term solution by signing a younger post player would have been ideal with or without BG.

As usual the Merc are like the Lakers where they sign older players and then when the playoffs come, they cant sustain a team because they are younger.

Edit: totally get what you are saying btw, I’m just not sure this is the best example. Right now, given her situation, everyone loves BG - but I’d guess she actually has more haters than Tina. Most fans don’t seem to hate her, it’s just a loud few that do. Laughing

lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/30/22 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diggins-Smith calling Nygaard a clown on social media. It keeps getting better and better lol

https://twitter.com/skydigg4/status/1542684428937203712?s=21&t=RxtyKq24GIVIFWpK8icmWQ

PostPosted: 06/30/22 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Diggins-Smith calling Nygaard a clown on social media. It keeps getting better and better lol

https://twitter.com/skydigg4/status/1542684428937203712?s=21&t=RxtyKq24GIVIFWpK8icmWQ

I interpret that a very different way

PostPosted: 06/30/22 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Beyond straight clown!!!

PostPosted: 06/30/22 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Yikes. While I definitely agree that DT is beyond her all star days, was it necessary? Things just started to trend the right direction. Skylar is having the best year of her career under this coach. I don’t feel like the clown emoji was in regards to the league. But then again, it’s the same league that ranked Sky 14th which is just total BS.

Last edited by mercfan on 06/30/22 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 06/30/22 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I so want to get into a discussion about the nuances of clown emoji usage Laughing

PostPosted: 06/30/22 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Quote:

Vanessa Nygaard: "There will be a game in Chicago, but it will not a an All-Star game because Diana Taurasi is not playing"

Quote:
Phoenix Mercury’s Skylar Diggins-Smith Earns Sixth All-Star Selection Razz

Official Release June 28, 2022

https://www.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-trio-of-kahleah-copper-emma-meesseman-courtney-vandersloot-highlight-reserves-for-att-wnba-all-star-2022/

I would have linked the Phoenix Mercury's News page about SDS making the All-Star team, but there isn't a story about it in the News page... Twisted Evil Razz

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 06/30/22 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had to switch to my burner to see SDS tweet. She has my ass blocked, but I have to agree on her with the clown emoji. I understand trying to cape up for your future HOF, but there is another player who is having a terrific season, and if their record was better would be in the mvp conversation.

And, way to go Nygaard for invalidating ALL of the other players who will be in suited up for the game, goofy.

PostPosted: 06/30/22 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Merc plays the Sky on Saturday....that's going to be an awkward ass roadtrip. Laughing
The Mercury needs a reality show. I'm here for it. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/30/22 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

I interpret that a very different way

Right..like..is she calling her coach a clown, or is she saying DT not being in an All Star game is a clown decision.

I’m gonna be honest, DT clearly isn’t herself, but she’s outplayed some of the players on that list…not that she cares. I’m sure she would have liked to play with Sue a final time, but she probably wants the rest more. 🤣

PostPosted: 06/30/22 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I interpreted it as her calling Nygaard a clown, but I’m sure that by tomorrow morning either the Mercury will have taken down Nygaard’s clip or someone on SDS’s PR team will make sure she spins it into saying that the league are a bunch of clowns for daring to hold an All-Star Game without Taurasi.

(now with spelling variations)
zune69

PostPosted: 07/01/22 3:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDS is having a great season but her leadership style is terrible and is one of the reasons why Phoenix has a losing record...When SDS doesn't get her way she starts acting up. Someone on this board (WNBA09) said she did the same thing when she played for Dallas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: