Phoenix Mercury 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/25/22 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
pilight wrote:
It's going to be funny when Indiana decides her contract is reasonable and claims her on waivers

They have the capspace?

Nope. No one does, without really awkward moves. That's probably why this is happening right after the contract guarantee date, making it far less likely someone she doesn't want to play for would claim her contract.

Honestly, that's fair. She gave us a huge discount. Least we can do is fascilitate her moving on where she wants to go to. Such a shame how this season turned out. I thought we'd be more competitive even without BG.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/25/22 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
The Sky tank her for her service as well Wink Laughing

Yes indeed, and it's kind of nice that this time they're on the positive side of a post player chasing a title.

PostPosted: 06/25/22 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
jmpenn90 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
Bad day to be a PHO Fan... Shocked

I guess it really is a no-fault divorce state, as I was looking forward to the Superteam that would have been Charles-Griner-SDS-DT-DD.. Confused

With that, I would think that Tina doesn't do this unless she already has a plan in place to go elsewhere... Idea

I heard she’s going to Seattle

Can't hate her for it. She gave us a deep discount to try and win a ring and unforseen circumstances have severely diminished those plans. Still, if she manages to get a ring with Seattle, it would be a huge asterisk for me.

Seattle has to give us something, right?

You are learning about how Tina works. She looks out only for herself. Teammates be damned. Seattle just doomed their chance for a ship. Tina is not any team's answer.

Yes the player that donates her whole salary to charity multiple times thinks only about her self Rolling Eyes the Storm will take their chances with her. She can come off the bench to have a big scoring role.

You sure aren't getting anything but scoring out of Tina at this point. She doesn't even pretend to play any defense anymore. Tina is running out of teams willing to take her on. #BurnedBridges

~rAf
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/25/22 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
The Sky tank her for her service as well Wink Laughing
😁🎇🎉🤓

PostPosted: 06/25/22 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm kinda neutral on Tina. I didn't like her at all until I found out about giving her salary to charity. But her on court behaviour, while not as egregious as some, still looks pretty me, me, me.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/25/22 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
jmpenn90 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

I guess it really is a no-fault divorce state, as I was looking forward to the Superteam that would have been Charles-Griner-SDS-DT-DD.. Confused

With that, I would think that Tina doesn't do this unless she already has a plan in place to go elsewhere... Idea

Can't hate her for it. She gave us a deep discount to try and win a ring and unforseen circumstances have severely diminished those plans. Still, if she manages to get a ring with Seattle, it would be a huge asterisk for me.

You are learning about how Tina works. She looks out only for herself. Teammates be damned. Seattle just doomed their chance for a ship. Tina is not any team's answer.

Yes the player that donates her whole salary to charity multiple times thinks only about her self Rolling Eyes the Storm will take their chances with her. She can come off the bench to have a big scoring role.

You sure aren't getting anything but scoring out of Tina at this point. She doesn't even pretend to play any defense anymore. Tina is running out of teams willing to take her on. #BurnedBridges

:Beathedeadhorse:

You're worse than Wnba09 and his incessant trashing of SDS. Show me on the doll where Tina Charles violated you!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/25/22 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
jmpenn90 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

You're worse than Wnba09 and his incessant trashing of SDS. Show me on the doll where Tina Charles violated you!

Laughing It has been non-stop all season.
One definite "addition by subtraction" of this divorce will definitely be having less hate pollution in Mercury threads from now on.

PostPosted: 06/25/22 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
jmpenn90 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Laughing It has been non-stop all season.
One definite "addition by subtraction" of this divorce will definitely be having less hate pollution in Mercury threads from now on.

Poor Seattle fans Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 06/25/22 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

re: Tina's exit...

-So many questions... Was this a selfish move?

-Was there drama behind the scenes, or did she see the team was going nowhere?

-Since she took a reduced contact to sign with them, assuming BG was going to be there, and was she tired of making that kind of money, and not winning while putting up decent numbers?

-Can a leader be player that bails on her squads?

-Is she the Russell Westbrook, or James Harden of the league? Talented, but can't stay on any team, and bounces when the going gets rough?

PostPosted: 06/25/22 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
:lol: It has been non-stop all season.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OLKDV-_SCBs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 06/25/22 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
https://twitter.com/PhoenixMercury/status/1540757470590558209

Quote:
Thank you, Tina!

Diana is going to be shut down soon.

Edit: maybe the Diana/Skylar (who have looked fine together lately, and we’re close previously) had something to do with this.

The writing is on the wall. I hope I'm wrong though.

PostPosted: 06/26/22 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
re: Tina's exit...

-So many questions... Was this a selfish move?

-Was there drama behind the scenes, or did she see the team was going nowhere?

-Since she took a reduced contact to sign with them, assuming BG was going to be there, and was she tired of making that kind of money, and not winning while putting up decent numbers?

-Can a leader be player that bails on her squads?

-Is she the Russell Westbrook, or James Harden of the league? Talented, but can't stay on any team, and bounces when the going gets rough?

Not saying you, just using your post as a launching point.

these are legit questions as I feel Charles' leaving of teams may be being misconstrued.

Charles started in Conn and was there for a while, won an MVP, and the team had a decent level of success in her tenure. Conn's management fired the coach she liked Mike T and she left for NY (Can't remember if she was traded or signed as a free agent but I don't believe she forced her way out in any under handed fashion, but can't remember).

Charles was in NY for a number of seasons, was cored multiple times and NY had decent regular season success with Prince, Nurse and/or Hartley as the next best player on the team. Charles left NY as a free agent, after her coring status got maxed out and when a new coach came in (Hopkins). I am pretty sure she left as a free agent and it was never completely established if she chose to leave or if the new coach and GM weren't interested in bringing her back. There may have been a trade related to her leaving but again it wasn't a trade demand to the best of my knowledge and it was while she was out of contract I believe.

She signed with Washington, skipped the bubble season along with EDD, played in 21 but EDD missed most if not all of the season with injury. Tina had a strong season, but with EDD, Clark and Cloud all missing the season Washington ended up in the lottery. Charles left this past off season as a free agent. Chose to sign with PX at a major discount, you could say ring hunting, but still leaving a lot of money on the table not a very selfish move IMO letting the team keep their free agents and even bring in Deshields on a better contract, but again like in Washington due to circumstances beyond her control the team she joined didn't do as well as thought. It does look like PX is turning it around and with DT and Diggins-Smith-Smith you would think Charles, Turner and Deshields would be enough to be a playoff squad but

Charles and PX agreed to a contractual divorce. We don't know whose idea it was, PX had to agree to it even if it was Charles idea (which does lead to idea that PX might see the writing on the wall, and might be tanking for a decent draft class in 23, you would think for a vet like Tina on a team friendly contract they could have got something in return if they had really wanted to)

Some of those circumstances might seem hazy but I don't see anything in Tina's behavior that seems under handed or diva-ish.

On the court she has been the best player on many teams she has been on so you would assume she would be the first option on those squads (On her NY team's Charles absolutely should have been taking the most shots and getting the most touches), but DT and SDS seemed to get plenty of shots with Charles as a teammate and Atkins and Hines-Allen were heavily involved in the Mystics offense last season with Charles. I also doubt her Olympic teammates Bird, Stewart and Loyd would want her to come to Seattle if they didn't want her there and are probably thrilled that she is joining the Storm.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/26/22 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/34148342/phoenix-mercury-former-wnba-mvp-tina-charles-part-18-games

Quote:
A source told ESPN that Charles' divorce from the Mercury had been in the making for most of the season. She had been unhappy with her role in the offense, which included a desire for more shots, for some time. Charles expected to be used in a more active role in the wake of center Brittney Griner's absence this season but felt like she wasn't given the opportunity, a source said.

PostPosted: 06/26/22 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Charles regularly made comments about wanting to either be traded, cut or divorced from her contract, a source said. Her divorce Saturday came together in a short amount of a time, a source said.

Before signing with the Mercury, Charles had narrowed her choices to Seattle and Phoenix, a source said, but a disagreement between the sides in how Charles would be used by the Storm led her to choose Phoenix.

Hmmm...so if Seattle takes her now, has this desired role issue been resolved?

PostPosted: 06/26/22 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Quote:
Charles regularly made comments about wanting to either be traded, cut or divorced from her contract, a source said. Her divorce Saturday came together in a short amount of a time, a source said.

Before signing with the Mercury, Charles had narrowed her choices to Seattle and Phoenix, a source said, but a disagreement between the sides in how Charles would be used by the Storm led her to choose Phoenix.

Likely not, it's just her only hope of a title left.

I was fine when my team was on the receiving end of her ring chasing, so I'm not gonna be too made now that we're being burned by her ring chasing. #hateharddenied

Can Vegas afford her? Lol

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/26/22 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She had been unhappy with her role in the offense, which included a desire for more shots, for some time.

She’s taking the seventh most shots in the league and the second most on her own team- more than DeShields, more than Taurasi- and she wants more shots. And she wants to go to the team that has two of the only six players in the league who do take more shots than she does? Just get a damn booster if you want more shots.

Quote:
Charles expected to be used in a more active role in the wake of center Brittney Griner's absence this season but felt like she wasn't given the opportunity, a source said.

The player who has practically developed an allergy to the paint and has a crippling addiction to taking 17-foot jumpers from 18 feet thought she was going to take the role of one of the best in-the-paint post players in the league? I’m sorry, what.

I cannot believe that I am in agreement with Sophie Cunningham, of all the fucking assholes, on this, but fuck Tina Charles.

(now with spelling variations)
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/26/22 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I was fine when my team was on the receiving end of her ring chasing, so I'm not gonna be too made now that we're being burned by her ring chasing. #hateharddenied

Y'all go ahead and keep accusing her of "ring chasing," if you want to, but what was the alternative? It's not like there's a borderline playoff team that's a Tina Charles-shaped piece away from being a contender; you think that if she'd signed with the Dream, instead, they'd be any closer to a title? Because I don't. So what was she supposed to do? Take the rest of the year off? Retire? Sign with the Fever to prove some kind of point?

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/26/22 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Sign with the Fever to prove some kind of point?

Hey, I like this. She could probably get lots of shots there....though K.Mitchell might have something to say about it.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/26/22 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Charles started in Conn and was there for a while, won an MVP, and the team had a decent level of success in her tenure. Conn's management fired the coach she liked Mike T and she left for NY (Can't remember if she was traded or signed as a free agent but I don't believe she forced her way out in any under handed fashion, but can't remember).

My memory [could be flawed] was that she forced her way out of CT, saying she wanted to go home. I think that was when my opinion of her took a dive. Then came the info that she was giving her salary to charity and my opinion rose somewhat. But on the floor she's never seen a shot she doesn't like - which generally is not the type of player I particularly like.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/26/22 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:
Quote:

And what? Tell Plum, Wilson, and Young not to shoot so much? Charles could be a great asset coming off the bench but she won't be happy and it will be disruptive just like it was in PX.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/26/22 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Quote:
She had been unhappy with her role in the offense, which included a desire for more shots, for some time.

She’s taking the seventh most shots in the league and the second most on her own team- more than DeShields, more than Taurasi- and she wants more shots. And she wants to go to the team that has two of the only six players in the league who do take more shots than she does? Just get a damn booster if you want more shots.

Quote:
Charles expected to be used in a more active role in the wake of center Brittney Griner's absence this season but felt like she wasn't given the opportunity, a source said.

The player who has practically developed an allergy to the paint and has a crippling addiction to taking 17-foot jumpers from 18 feet thought she was going to take the role of one of the best in-the-paint post players in the league? I’m sorry, what.

I cannot believe that I am in agreement with Sophie Cunningham, of all the fucking assholes, on this, but fuck Tina Charles.

So she wanted to shoot more than Skylar? Jesus. And there were/are definitely times this season where I've felt Diana isn't taking enough shots.

During the bubble season, Phoenix looked better after BG left. (I believe the players love BG - I just think she wasn't mentally right, and that obviously impacts team chemistry.) Wouldn't surprise me if they look better without Tina too.

PostPosted: 06/26/22 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
During the bubble season, Phoenix looked better after BG left. (I believe the players love BG - I just think she wasn't mentally right, and that obviously impacts team chemistry.) Wouldn't surprise me if they look better without Tina too.

To whatever extent that may have been true, I think it's worth noting that that really wasn't how it was being discussed at the time. It's funny how we only frame the discourse in that way, when it's about a player we don't like. Because, even when somebody may have literally used those exact words, "Phoenix looked better after BG left," they weren't being used as a referendum/indictment of Brittney Griner. And why not? Because that's what would be fair. But people don't care, because they like Griner; nobody was like, "Phoenix looks better since BG went home, and that proves that Brittney's a cancer, and nobody wants to play with her!"

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/26/22 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

To whatever extent that may have been true, I think it's worth noting that that really wasn't how it was being discussed at the time. It's funny how we only frame the discourse in that way, when it's about a player we don't like. Because, even when somebody may have literally used those exact words, "Phoenix looked better after BG left," they weren't being used as a referendum/indictment of Brittney Griner. And why not? Because that's what would be fair. But people don't care, because they like Griner; nobody was like, "Phoenix looks better since BG went home, and that proves that Brittney's a cancer, and nobody wants to play with her!"

I don’t say it in a way that is hating on Tina either.

If Tina was unhappy here - which I could see why..this team is not the one she thought she was signing too - that’s obviously going to impact the team.

It’s not the greatest thing in the world to leave your teammates high and dry - but again, addition BG subtraction. Doesn’t make sense sometimes..(and if she’s happy in Seattle and help gets Sue a ring on her way out - I won’t be upset)

PostPosted: 06/26/22 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

While I see what you are saying I think MANY people had this sentiment when BG left. BG got a pass because we were in a global pandemic and fighting for civil rights. That is hard for a lot of people especially if you are playing year round basketball. Clearly BG needed a break and she came back the next season playing like an MVP.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/26/22 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
While I see what you are saying I think MANY people had this sentiment when BG left. BG got a pass because we were in a global pandemic and fighting for civil rights. That is hard for a lot of people especially if you are playing year round basketball. Clearly BG needed a break and she came back the next season playing like an MVP.

You think that "MANY" people had the sentiment that Phoenix playing better after Griner went home was a referendum on Griner? I'd like to see some receipts on that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: