RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/19/22 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Has any team ever claimed that somebody besides the coach hired an assistant?

I can't honestly say that I've ever paid that close of attention to an assistant coaching hire; that's why I asked the question.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Shades

PostPosted: 04/19/22 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle, Khayla Pointer is good. Drafting her at #13 wasn’t the biggest reach.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/19/22 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously I have to root for Nancy Mulkey here. I can tell you that she's good at hitting jump shots when she's open (that includes from 3), and is known for being very smart & disciplined overall when it comes to when to pass, when to score, and defending without fouling. The 6-9/shot-blocker profile of hers is actually much more of an unknown at this level for her imo, but if the coaches are finding that that part of her game is translating... 🧐

I love that she's at least getting to know & play with fellow Washington alum, Kelsey Plum – how awesome is that! 🤩 #GoHuskies #NoNotThoseHuskies #GoodLord #MissMeWithThat

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

yeah, I know she's one of your favs. And really I don't remember seeing her play so don't have that much of an opinion. But I have doubts she is better than Henderson for instance, who was still available at that point. Which indicates to me that the LSU connection came into play. Guess we will see if she can stick or not. Maybe she just has to beat out Colson for the backup backup PG spot so I guess there's a chance she can do that.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Obviously I have to root for Nancy Mulkey here. I can tell you that she's good at hitting jump shots when she's open (that includes from 3), and is known for being very smart & disciplined overall when it comes to when to pass, when to score, and defending without fouling. The 6-9/shot-blocker profile of hers is actually much more of an unknown at this level for her imo, but if the coaches are finding that that part of her game is translating... 🧐

I love that she's at least getting to know & play with fellow Washington alum, Kelsey Plum – how awesome is that! 🤩 #GoHuskies #NoNotThoseHuskies #GoodLord #MissMeWithThat

Her lack of rebounding was always a mystery to me.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m conflicted, Myrtle. I can’t really root for Vegas to do well. Would like them to go to the lottery so Minnesota gets their lottery pick. A lottery pick next year could come in handy.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw both Pointer and Henderson at least a half dozen times each, and I thought Khayla was more consistently impactful. That said, Henderson plays for a SC team that doesn't need her to do much in a lot of games. Boston and Cooke are the first two options. After that, it's crash the boards and destroy the opposition off second chance points. It's not clear Henderson couldn't fill a bigger role if asked. Nonetheless, IMHO a reasonable GM could select Pointer ahead of Henderson. It doesn't have to be nepotism... which is not to say it wasn't. Smile

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

yeah, I know she's one of your favs. And really I don't remember seeing her play so don't have that much of an opinion. But I have doubts she is better than Henderson for instance, who was still available at that ~*point*~. Which indicates to me that the LSU connection came into play. Guess we will see if she can stick or not. Maybe she just has to beat out Colson for the backup backup PG spot so I guess there's a chance she can do that.

Omg I'm sorry, I know you weren't trying to make a pun but I just have to say that I loved that you said that. Laughing Laughing Laughing Still laughing. It works in two ways, cuz her name has the word "Point" in it, and both players being discussed are "point" guards. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And I have to agree with the nepotism 'point' when talking about Pointer. Was taking her at #13 a reach? No. It looks a little more sus when put in the context of her former college coach turned President drafting both her and another player (Aifuwa) who was debatably not good enough to even get drafted (even more so now that she's been waived). Additionally, A'ja Wilson is the team's superstar. Why not make her happy by taking someone from the same program/college as her? Especially when enough people thought Henderson would go in the first round, such that taking her at #13 would've been considered a steal anyway...

...Unless the Aces already thought that they had their backup PG from the beginning when they (re-)signed Sydney Colson, whom every main player on the team previously knew and still loves – in which case, why draft Henderson just to have to cut her in front of Wilson? See, that's when you go with a pick not named Henderson in that moment, and why not go with one whom the team President coached and it wouldn't look like a reach? And that, friends, is how one can prove that Pointer was still a nepotism pick, even if she wasn't a reach. The end. (don't @ me) 😏

Shades

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle, I didn’t realize until now that Fargas is Pointer’s aunt.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/65q3ZI-DOvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, yeah, it’s nepotism, but not at an outrageous level. Nepotism runs rampant in the world. I think a worse case in the WNBA would be Mike & Eric Thibault.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Her lack of rebounding was always a mystery to me.

You're not wrong. The Huskies' de facto PF this year at just 6-1 was able to outrebound Mulkey by nearly two boards (7.7 to 6). The lesson might just be to pair Mulkey up with a really good rebounding PF, which this team certainly has.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unrelated to all the talk on this thread thus far: On the Aces' roster page, 6-3 Mya Hollingshed is listed as a F-G (the only player on there with more than one listed position), whereas 6-1 Kierstan Bell is listed as just a F. You'd think it'd be the other way around, if anything. Hollingshed was a "G/F" at Colorado for a few years, but in recent years was on there as just a "F." Bell was listed solely as a "guard" at both FGCU and Ohio State, so the Aces completely went out of their way to change her position to forward, it seems.

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/19/22 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/19/22 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/65q3ZI-DOvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, yeah, it’s nepotism, but not at an outrageous level. Nepotism runs rampant in the world. I think a worse case in the WNBA would be Mike & Eric Thibault.

What person made this statement eons ago? We take care of our own.🤔

PostPosted: 04/20/22 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
the Aces completely went out of their way to change her position to forward, it seems.

Teams don't directly control the data entry for that info on the web. The league does. Appreciate the heads up. I will get those changed.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/22 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Pointer selection bothers me less than the Liberty's selection of Leslie Robinson a few years ago. Pointer is at least marginally a real prospect.

PostPosted: 04/20/22 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
the Aces completely went out of their way to change her position to forward, it seems.

Teams don't directly control the data entry for that info on the web. The league does. Appreciate the heads up. I will get those changed.

Very Happy I mean, only change it if it's actually wrong in real life... Wink

pilight wrote:
The Pointer selection bothers me less than the Liberty's selection of Leslie Robinson a few years ago. Pointer is at least marginally a real prospect.

Even the Robinson pick was of the late-3rd round variety, where no pick is really considered a reach.

Imo Pointer will make this team – and she may deserve to as well – though I don't see her getting regular minutes this year. If they keep her through next year though, well, Gray and Plum will both be free agents. Could be a decent investment if she pans out (and doesn't sign with a French team in the overseas season like Slocum did).

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/20/22 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Robinson got a camp invite from Chicago the following year, so maybe she was marginally a marginal real prospect. Smile

PostPosted: 04/20/22 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I've seen them both play quite a bit, and I'd take Pointer over Henderson.

If you want to talk about nepotism in Vegas, take a look at the front office. Fargas' husband played for Davis. The Delsens. Azzi and Hardiek. Bill Laimbeer's daughter. That's all fine if they were the best candidates for the job, but I kinda doubt all the best candidates just happened to be related to someone else who worked there. And having so many relationships in any organization is a recipe for disaster regardless of qualifications.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/02/22 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces waive Nancy Mulkey

PostPosted: 05/02/22 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces waive Mya Hollingshed and Khayla Pointer

That's our first 1st rounder gone

PostPosted: 05/02/22 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Those are the players they drafted with the Lynx draft picks.
Now those players are gone and so are next year’s draft picks. Surprised

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/02/22 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not moving up in the draft for them and then not even making the team. Damn.

Also that puts Vegas at 11, I believe. I don't know much money, but they could be set with their roster unless they can find a waiver wire or trade I guess.

Last edited by lynxmania on 05/02/22 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/02/22 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so the surprise is Aisha Sheppard making the cut?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/02/22 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so the surprise is Aisha Sheppard making the cut?

Based on the game yesterday, absolutely not. She got drafted by the right team and was in a good situation to make it, IMO.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

That's our first 1st rounder gone

Embarassed

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/02/22 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Not moving up in the draft for them and then not even making the team. Damn.

Also that puts Vegas at 11, I believe. I don't know much money, but they could be set with their roster unless they can find a waiver wire or trade I guess.

Richyyy said he thought Rupert would be joining the team eventually as a 12th, but maybe not til June. The post is really where they need some help so maybe she can shore up that aspect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: