RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 08/10/22 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
...because once, just once, I would like to buy a player’s jersey and not have that player promptly get traded, get hurt, or get traded and then get hurt.

Those AmEx jersey assurance commercials they play before the game highlights on .com might cover some of that issue. Of course, lots of restrictions apply!

https://store.nba.com/jersey-assurance/x-143713+z-91829756-2442190644

PostPosted: 08/10/22 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The day I do a jersey exchange is the day you shoot my pod person duplicate in the head.

(The Liberty actually tried that in... I want to say 2006? It went over like a lead balloon.)

PostPosted: 08/12/22 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! Was tonight the first time in three seasons that we've seen Betnijah Laney, Natasha Howard, and Sabrina Ionescu all healthy, all on the court together, and playing well? Seems like it.

And yet, rather ironically, our best player tonight was someone who wasn't even supposed to be on the roster: Crystal Dangerfield.

GO LIBERTY!!!

PostPosted: 08/16/22 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any local Lib peeps know of a place in NYC to go for a watch party for Game 2 on Saturday?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 08/17/22 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fkfsR5Jyd5A" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/17/22 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YEAH! Here we are! I do not lament the lack of ping pong balls in the lottery; there was no part of me at all that wanted them to lose during the exciting push to the playoffs. I feel bad for the people who watched with mixed emotion; I don't think they were able to get as much enjoyment from the games as I was. To me there is nothing like rooting for your teams in meaningful games, and now we've got at least two extra ones!

It was less than likely we'd win the lottery anyway, and while being a few slots up in the draft order is a plus, drafting is nowhere near an exact science and it's not even certain that the better pick would produce the better player.

Plus, WNBA stability, Covid or its next equivalent, political strife, alien invasion, our own priorities and ability to watch the games; who knows what the future holds? I'm all for planning for the future, but when it comes to sacrificing the playoffs for a lottery pick that is far less than guaranteed, count me out. I'm rooting for my team. Always.

GO LIBERTY!!!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/17/22 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
YEAH! Here we are! I do not lament the lack of ping pong balls in the lottery; there was no part of me at all that wanted them to lose during the exciting push to the playoffs. I feel bad for the people who watched with mixed emotion; I don't think they were able to get as much enjoyment from the games as I was. To me there is nothing like rooting for your teams in meaningful games, and now we've got at least two extra ones!

It was less than likely we'd win the lottery anyway, and while being a few slots up in the draft order is a plus, drafting is nowhere near an exact science and it's not even certain that the better pick would produce the better player.

Plus, WNBA stability, Covid or its next equivalent, political strife, alien invasion, our own priorities and ability to watch the games; who knows what the future holds? I'm all for planning for the future, but when it comes to sacrificing the playoffs for a lottery pick that is far less than guaranteed, count me out. I'm rooting for my team. Always.

GO LIBERTY!!!

A great statement when I read it earlier today and even better now that tonight's game is over.

No matter what happens from here, I'm SO glad our team made the playoffs and won the first game from the current WNBA champions on their court. But let's keep going!!! Smile

PostPosted: 08/17/22 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had mixed emotions but couldn’t be happier right now. Among other things, I think we are clearly seeing that the Liberty are one great player away from being a championship contender. There are several free agents who could help get NY at least closer to that standing.

PostPosted: 08/17/22 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I had mixed emotions but couldn’t be happier right now. Among other things, I think we are clearly seeing that the Liberty are one great player away from being a championship contender. There are several free agents who could help get NY at least closer to that standing.

I'm not expecting Breanna Stewart to come to New York. But a game like tonight could make her at least consider: this team is one great player away from being a championship contender and I can be that player.

PostPosted: 08/18/22 5:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not even sure if we are a great player away from contending we may be a good player away

a good player and health

two years in and we still haven't had a significant amount of games where Ionescu, Laney and Howard were all healthy at the same time (Throw in Allen as a high rotation player that has been in and out the last two seasons as well)

We are definitely a team other don't want to see in the playoffs because this is our first time having the big three healthy this season and Liberty new comers in 22 Johannes, Han Xu, Dolson and Dangerfield all finally have decent minutes under their belt

If we can get them all back in 23 we'll be off to a strong start

fortify the post with Sabally and/or Kone
draft well at #6
and try to find that missing piece
If it is a post take a run at Stewart, B. Jones or A. Stevens
If it is a PG should we consider Jefferson, Wheeler or L. Allen? I can't imagine Dallas wouldn't match but would Mabrey fit?
or if we get the top rotational players back could a player like Sykes or Nurse get us over the Finnish line?

I go back and forth I think the internal growth of our youth, the further incorporation of Johannes and Han Xu, and adding in a first round pick and Sabally and/or Kone might be enough to get to contender status in 23 even without a major free agent signing. Yes Stewart would put us over the top, but we are on the upswing even without a top free agent

and with the turnover in talent as the amazing old guard of the W age and retire I think we are going to see NY, Dallas and Atlanta climbing the ranks in 23 and 24

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/18/22 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
or if we get the top rotational players back could a player like Sykes or Nurse get us over the Finnish line?

Nope. Awak Kuier is who you'd need.

PostPosted: 08/18/22 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Any local Lib peeps know of a place in NYC to go for a watch party for Game 2 on Saturday?

Anybody?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/23/22 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah well, and so it ends. This was the most entertaining Liberty season since Bill Laimbeer left, and I really enjoyed watching it, which is something I never thought I'd say after the horrible start! We were in nearly every game after that--it was totally worth watching.

Nothing left to do now but root for Kiah Stokes, starting center for the #1 seed Las Vegas Aces! Smile

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/23/22 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Ah well, and so it ends. This was the most entertaining Liberty season since Bill Laimbeer left, and I really enjoyed watching it, which is something I never thought I'd say after the horrible start! We were in nearly every game after that--it was totally worth watching.

Nothing left to do now but root for Kiah Stokes, starting center for the #1 seed Las Vegas Aces! Smile

It was indeed a far more enjoyable season than the two under Katie Smith and the two under Walt Hopkins.

If Vegas wins the 2022 WNBA championship on lots of three-pointers from Kiah, Hopkins can claim the title is all because of him. Smile

I always liked Kiah. I'd be happy to see her get a ring.

PostPosted: 09/04/22 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonderful day for Walt Hopkins and for Kiah Stokes!!!

GO KIAH!!!

PostPosted: 09/04/22 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

GO KIAH!!!

Wait, are you seriously shouting out Walt Hopkins for Kiah Stokes having made one (1) three pointer today?

PostPosted: 09/04/22 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I got this the second time I read it.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/04/22 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I got this the second time I read it.

Laughing Laughing took me 4 readings

PostPosted: 09/04/22 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

GO KIAH!!!

Wait, are you seriously shouting out Walt Hopkins for Kiah Stokes having made one (1) three pointer today?

Are you seriously asking?

PostPosted: 09/04/22 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

GO KIAH!!!

I think so?

PostPosted: 09/04/22 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

GO KIAH!!!

I think so?

You aren't sure if you're seriously asking?

Please read or reread my post JUST ABOVE the post you quoted. Please note the smiling face.

PostPosted: 09/05/22 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

GO KIAH!!!

9 points, 12 rebounds!!! Almost a double-double!!!

GO KIAH!!! Smile

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/05/22 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

GO KIAH!!!

GO KIAH!!! Smile

I realized I have a conflict here.

Seattle and Tina Charles are one loss away from elimination, I don't think it'll be easy for them to beat Las Vegas twice in a row.

I'm wondering if this is Tina's last chance at a WNBA ring. Could she retire after the playoffs end? What would be her 2023 options? It would surely be ironic if Charles's team is eliminated by a team with Kiah Stokes as the starting center.

Upon reflection, I feel both GO KIAH!!! and GO TINA!!! But only one of them can win a ring this season.

PostPosted: 09/05/22 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

GO KIAH!!!

GO KIAH!!! Smile

I realized I have a conflict here.

Seattle and Tina Charles are one loss away from elimination, I don't think it'll be easy for them to beat Las Vegas twice in a row.

I'm wondering if this is Tina's last chance at a WNBA ring. Could she retire after the playoffs end? What would be her 2023 options? It would surely be ironic if Charles's team is eliminated by a team with Kiah Stokes as the starting center.

Upon reflection, I feel both GO KIAH!!! and GO TINA!!! But only one of them can win a ring this season.

I would say that I have the same conflict--Kiah and Tina were my two favorite players back when they played in New York. But it's not even close. I can't root against Kiah. Even when she plays the Liberty. I'm all "Go Liberty" until Kiah or the player she is guarding touches the ball, and my perspective completely shifts. Then the ball goes elsewhere and I'm bleeding Seafoam again. It's very strange for me as a sports fan.

We really could have used Kiah's defense and rebounding this year--we were one of the weakest teams on the defensive glass I have ever watched. However, I'm not sure the Liberty have enough scoring to counter the fact that, yesterday's 9 points notwithstanding, Kiah is an offensive zero. The Aces have multiple reliable scorers, which makes her a more valuable chess piece for Becky Hammon to use than she would be for Sandy Brondello.

I was miserable when we got rid of Kiah, but I must admit that I thought it was the right move, especially with Walt Hopkins as the coach. She didn't fit in his system. Still, when your favorite player's gone and the team's most glaring weakness is what she does best, it's a bit frustrating.

I'm not saying that Kiah's game has elevated by a huge margin this year, but it's been clear to me from the start that she's running quicker and more effortlessly than she has in recent years. There was talk about a lingering foot problem, and it happily appears to me that it has improved or is being managed better than the past.

GO KIAH! GO ACES!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/05/22 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's such a shame to ponder what might have been. Bill Laimbeer, obviously with great experience of his own, worked very hard with Kiah on her offensive game. I'm certain Kiah worked hard as well. At moments, she showed flashes. I'd have to guess it was a confidence issue more than anything. Kiah was accustomed to deferring to others offensively from her college years. I think she just never could get past that.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55
Page 55 of 55

Jump to: