Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/08/22 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty expected to waive Walker

Also finalizing deal with Johannes

And Dangerfield let go to make the deal work per Richyyy; but expected back

PostPosted: 06/08/22 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually I want to also amend one thing from above. It’s being reported that the Liberty are working on bringing over Johannes. WNBA Fan Nation reports that Jackie Powell has articulated that.

PostPosted: 06/08/22 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Thank you for the update. VERY interesting. Maybe there’s hope for a season after all. Johannes IMO can really help.

PostPosted: 06/08/22 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Becca Allen plays with Carrera in Spain for Valencia.

More than a one time deal?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
And1

PostPosted: 06/08/22 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Why would they trade for Walker and then waive her? Confused

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/08/22 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Why would they trade for Walker and then waive her? Confused

Because getting Carrera's rights while giving AD another chance elsewhere is an upgrade on just waiving AD. And because of the cap elements involved someone had to go from Atlanta to New York (i.e. it couldn't just be AD straight-up for Carrera's rights).

PostPosted: 06/08/22 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would still keep Dangerfield in the starting lineup for the moment but in late end games I would play Marine

Starting

Crystal
Sabrina
Allen (until Laney comes back)
Stef
Howard

Future starting 5

Johannes
Ionescu
Laney
Dolson
Howard

Sandy could keep Johannes as a 6th woman for fire power off the bench

Johannes/Dangerfield/didi
Michaela/Whitcomb
Allen/Willoughby
Cubaj
Han Xu

We'll see how it plays out

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/09/22 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting that Johannes is a hardship signing Shocked which means she will have to be released when full roster appears. Can she eventually be claimed off waivers. Or will she be a FA?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/09/22 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It's interesting that Johannes is a hardship signing Shocked which means she will have to be released when full roster appears. Can she eventually be claimed off waivers. Or will she be a FA?

Johannes is a rest of season contract,

Dangerfield signed another hardship to return. So she'll be the one gone.

PostPosted: 06/09/22 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, regulation main roster contract for Johannes (filling the hole created by waiving Walker). Dangerfield re-signed on a hardship. I know all these terms can get confusing.

PostPosted: 06/09/22 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks for the clarifications

toad455

PostPosted: 06/10/22 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://netsrepublic.com/what-marine-johannes-can-bring-to-the-new-york-liberty/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/10/22 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like I posted often in the offseason--probably an exaggeration--that I'd love to see Han Xu and especially Marine Johannes on the court for the Liberty this season. I've often been wrong on these pages, but at least I can feel I was right twice. Wow! Smile

PostPosted: 06/10/22 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You definitely were. The Liberty have the makings of a powerful offensive team.

PostPosted: 06/10/22 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes watching Han Xu has been a highlight of the season, and Johannes was very impressive.

I have been doubtful about her showing up but one game in I am already on the Johannes returning in 23 band wagon, hopefully they both show up.

I would still like to see Crystal get a real contract after her hardship is up but I am pretty sure the arrival of Johannes will throw a wrench in that plan (and I am not sure who I would cut or trade for a 2nd round pick to make it happen).

Hopefully Crystal gets a training camp invite in 23.

If that happens and all are Internationals show up we will be back behind The Who gets cut/signed 8 ball again

23 potential roster

Johannes/Dangerfield (Camp)
Ionescu/Richards/Whitcomb (UFA)
Laney/Allen//Onyenwere/Willoughby
Howard/Sabally/Cubaj/Kone
Han/Dolson/Carerra

23 1st round pick (Probably top 6)
Oh yeah and Stewart

wow that is a lot of cuts to be made

zune69

PostPosted: 06/10/22 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After a slow start, the Liberty are starting to find their rhythm.....I said NY should blow it up and trade Howard, that was very premature on my part. New coach, new system, the team needed some time to gel...Howard has really stepped her game up and is playing like an all-star...Playing more off the ball has freed up Ionescu on offense. She looks more relaxed/fresh not having to always facilitate/initiate the offense. The addition of Johannes is going to take more pressure off of Ionescu. Xu is one of the best bench players in the league and will be a starter in the very near future. I'm very impressed with Xu's skills/speed/mobility at her size. Xu also has a high basketball IQ.

When at full strength the Liberty is going to have one of the best/deepest benches in the league (Xu, Johannes, Whitcomb, Allen, DiDi, Onyenwere)..........If Laney can be 90% of what she was prior to her injuries, the LIberty will make the playoffs and be a tough out.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/11/22 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really thought the season was over after 8 games. But they did win 4 of 5 against the softest part of their schedule. Now they have Chicago, DC and Seattle all at home. This stretch will probably be instrumental in determining the direction of their season. They have two west coast trips still to make. They’ve been blown out by Chicago and Seattle.

We’ll see if all the things that are different about the Liberty translate. If they make the good teams pay for trapping and doubling Sabrina, they’ll likely be in a very good place. And objectively, if Sami is hitting shots and Han is hitting shots and Johannes is making plays and Howard is a pick and roll nightmare for opponents, there’s a lot of ways to make even the good teams pay.

PostPosted: 06/11/22 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that run of weak teams that the Liberty just beat was incredibly well-timed. If ever a team needed to find its rhythm, it was the Liberty, and it's easier to do that against the bottom of the league than the top. Now comes the test of the better teams: we'll see if it amounts to anything.

I couldn't be more excited about Johannes. Let's see a few more games before I say much more, but I think she could be an amazing catalyst for this team.

Great halftime adjustments by Brondello fixing the turnover problem.

Any news about Rebecca Allen? They said it was a lacerated jaw, but she was so wobbly as she walked off. It was a pretty violent collision--I hope the impact didn't injure anything else. Being without both Allen and Laney would be really tough (although Johannes lessens that sting somewhat).

There are plays where Han Xu's height advantage almost seems unfair. Smile

I'm really looking forward to the next few games and finding out if we're ready to challenge the good teams.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/11/22 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would love it if Han were more aggressive. She appears to have a ton of talent, but she doesn't play with enough attitude for me.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/11/22 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I would love it if Han were more aggressive. She appears to have a ton of talent, but she doesn't play with enough attitude for me.

I know what you mean. I don't mind a player being nice, but especially on the boards sometimes you have to actively go after them. Seems like she waits or reaches for them and can lose out to players who aggressively pursue the ball.

But she's still only 22, basically the same age as a lot of rookies. There's plenty of growth and development still to come.

PostPosted: 06/11/22 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
I think that run of weak teams that the Liberty just beat was incredibly well-timed. If ever a team needed to find its rhythm, it was the Liberty, and it's easier to do that against the bottom of the league than the top. Now comes the test of the better teams: we'll see if it amounts to anything.

Before consecutive victories over the Fever and the Lynx, fans were measuring Boston for a Liberty uniform. Now they’re planning a place for a trophy case. Three consecutive losses in the next three games would have them back to measuring Boston. It’s a roller coaster.

NYSports56 wrote:
Any news about Rebecca Allen? They said it was a lacerated jaw, but she was so wobbly as she walked off. It was a pretty violent collision--I hope the impact didn't injure anything else.

She’s cleared to play. She’s not really built to take a hit so it took her a while to gather her bearings. Surprised she apparently flew through concussion protocol.

NYSports56 wrote:
There are plays where Han Xu's height advantage almost seems unfair. Smile

Somebody really should check into that. 🤔

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYSports56

PostPosted: 06/11/22 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Before consecutive victories over the Fever and the Lynx, fans were measuring Boston for a Liberty uniform. Now they’re planning a place for a trophy case.

I don't think we're doing that at all! Of course I'm more optimistic than I was before the Liberty started winning a few games, but I thought I was being clear about the fact that they haven't proven anything yet. And NYL_WNBA_FAN said, "We’ll see if all the things that are different about the Liberty translate." That sounds more like cautious optimism than expectations of a multi-year dynasty. Smile

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/12/22 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

I know what you mean. I don't mind a player being nice, but especially on the boards sometimes you have to actively go after them. Seems like she waits or reaches for them and can lose out to players who aggressively pursue the ball.

But she's still only 22, basically the same age as a lot of rookies. There's plenty of growth and development still to come.

I agree with you both. On the positive side, this is an area she’s making strides in. She’s less passive than in the past. And she had that rather forceful block too.

But yes, definitely a work in progress.

PostPosted: 06/12/22 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Shades wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Before consecutive victories over the Fever and the Lynx, fans were measuring Boston for a Liberty uniform. Now they’re planning a place for a trophy case.

I don't think we're doing that at all! Of course I'm more optimistic than I was before the Liberty started winning a few games, but I thought I was being clear about the fact that they haven't proven anything yet. And NYL_WNBA_FAN said, "We’ll see if all the things that are different about the Liberty translate." That sounds more like cautious optimism than expectations of a multi-year dynasty. Smile

Lol, thank you. Exactly! Johannes and Han can change the way teams defend the Liberty so of course, there’s at least some optimism that goes with that. And we’ll see how NY deals with traps from teams like Chicago who do them well.

PostPosted: 06/13/22 2:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Sabrina Ionescu is slow. And she hasn't demonstrated that she's extraordinary at anything. I'm not feeling confident that this #1 overall is going to be an All-Star.

I'm not feeling confident you know anything at all about basketball, NYSpo---

Oh.

Seriously though, there's something faulty about my analysis that should have been obvious without 20-20 hindsight. I said Sabrina isn't extraordinary at anything. That was wrong. She has the chance to be one of the greatest rebounding guards in the history of the league.

Right now, Sabrina leads all guards in the league with 5.7 rebounds a game. Most guards aren't even close. And it's not just an early season stat boosted by the triple double--her career average is 5.6. The only players listed as guards in WNBA history who have better career averages than that are Elena Delle Donne and Dewanna Bonner, and they're both listed at both guard and forward.

Since I was looking at the all time list, I'd like to say that former New York Liberty center Kiah Stokes is #40 on the all time list with an average of 6.0 rebounds per game. There is only one player above Kiah on the list who did it in fewer minutes per game than she did. Yay Kiah! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 49 of 55

Jump to: