RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 07/24/22 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd rather be in the lottery than trip over a rake and land in the 8 seed despite all our best efforts.

PostPosted: 07/24/22 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I'd rather be in the lottery than trip over a rake and land in the 8 seed despite all our best efforts.

Yes so would I !

taco-man

PostPosted: 07/25/22 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the latest news on Laney's return?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/25/22 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out of the teams contending for these last three spots, IMO Atlanta and the Liberty have the most favorable (easiest) schedules. That’s a good thing for NY in the sense that should they miss the playoffs, their chances are pretty good to get #2 odds rather than #3 odds. It wouldn’t be shocking for them to go on a positive run in the upcoming set of home games either. I want them in the lottery too. But I still can’t root for them to lose either. Go figure.

PostPosted: 07/25/22 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I want them in the lottery too. But I still can’t root for them to lose either. Go figure.

Last game of the season last year both me and my seatmate were both rooting for Washington to win and put us in the Lottery...who knows who we might have had for a pick...maybe we would have two Howards on the team right now ?

Howee

PostPosted: 07/25/22 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I want them in the lottery too. But I still can’t root for them to lose either. Go figure.

Last game of the season last year both me and my seatmate were both rooting for Washington to win and put us in the Lottery...who knows who we might have had for a pick...maybe we would have two Howards on the team right now ?

Hey....one can NEVER have too many "Howards".... Cool

PostPosted: 07/25/22 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Hey....one can NEVER have too many "Howards".... Cool

Curly, Moe, and Shemp Howard.

PostPosted: 07/26/22 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
I received the strangest email from The Liberty this morning asking me to auto-renew, with out telling me the 2023 season cost ???????????

I also got that e-mail and reached out to my ticket rep. I got a call from Dante this morning who acknowledged that the emails were missing vital info. He said we'd be getting follow up e-mails later this week with further details - pricing, etc. There will be two extra home games next year (40-game season). And it sounds like the pricing will remain unchanged for subscribers.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/29/22 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't been able to watch much of the last two games. I've got the same question I posted last week (on the game thread): has anything been said about why Willoughby and Richards aren't playing? Any illness or injury? Or are they just out of the rotation for the moment?

PostPosted: 07/29/22 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I haven't been able to watch much of the last two games. I've got the same question I posted last week (on the game thread): has anything been said about why Willoughby and Richards aren't playing? Any illness or injury? Or are they just out of the rotation for the moment?

They haven't been listed as injured: https://www.rotowire.com/wnba/injury-report.php

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/29/22 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
I received the strangest email from The Liberty this morning asking me to auto-renew, with out telling me the 2023 season cost ???????????

I also got that e-mail and reached out to my ticket rep. I got a call from Dante this morning who acknowledged that the emails were missing vital info. He said we'd be getting follow up e-mails later this week with further details - pricing, etc. There will be two extra home games next year (40-game season). And it sounds like the pricing will remain unchanged for subscribers.

The per-game pricing won't change, as per my rep. But that's still an increase. We're going to have to downgrade in location, and probably in quantity depending on the schedule (we're cheating on basketball next season with the World Cup in Australia).

PostPosted: 07/30/22 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

The per-game pricing won't change, as per my rep. But that's still an increase. We're going to have to downgrade in location, and probably in quantity depending on the schedule (we're cheating on basketball next season with the World Cup in Australia).

Its been a week since the Liberty sent that silly email about auto renewal without a cost. What in hell is wrong with this organization ?????
IS THIS ANYWAY TO TREAT SEASON TICKET HOLDERS ?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/30/22 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
(we're cheating on basketball next season with the World Cup in Australia).

So jealous. The friend I usually go to women's soccer with says he can't afford Australia, so I probably won't make it. Plus they've spread the schedule out so much it's going to be extra difficult/expensive to follow one team around in the way I'd like to. Bah.

Apologies for the OT-ness.

PostPosted: 07/30/22 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With last night’s loss and another performance where the Liberty largely beat themselves, it’s in their best interest just to keep losing honestly. Howard had a mind-boggling 7 turnovers. A number of those involved simple things such as catching the ball before trying to dribble. Other players also made some clear mental errors.

Yet in spite of this they have lost several pretty close games where just two or three more mindful possessions might have been the difference. That suggests that adding another high draft piece along with Sabally might make a huge difference. It would have such a domino effect, particularly in not having to rely so much on Howard and Sabrina for scoring. And it will give much needed balance defensively.

PostPosted: 07/30/22 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
With last night’s loss and another performance where the Liberty largely beat themselves, it’s in their best interest just to keep losing honestly. Howard had a mind-boggling 7 turnovers. A number of those involved simple things such as catching the ball before trying to dribble. Other players also made some clear mental errors.

Yet in spite of this they have lost several pretty close games where just two or three more mindful possessions might have been the difference. That suggests that adding another high draft piece along with Sabally might make a huge difference. It would have such a domino effect, particularly in not having to rely so much on Howard and Sabrina for scoring. And it will give much needed balance defensively.

I honestly think they need to be very aggressive in the trade market. They need to trade away Howard and Dolson. Both of those were classic trade bait busts where they went from great on their prior teams to unimpressive aftert a big free agency.

I'd like to see them do as much of an off season rebuild as possible. I don't think they have a realistic shit at Stewie despite their meeting but they need to Moneyball this and put something around Sabrina that can possibly win a playoff series.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/30/22 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Right near the end of the game, when New York went ahead by one point, they had three consecutive live-ball turnovers. Just handed the game away.

PostPosted: 07/30/22 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly share the frustrations expressed here, but I disagree.

The missing name is Betnijah Laney. As NYL_WNBA_FAN has acknowledged, the team has lost some "pretty close games." I'd say there have been a significant number of losses where New York might have won, including the most recent game against Chicago.

Look at the box score for any of the losses that might have been victories. Insert 30 minutes for Laney. Take out 30 minutes for some combination of Allen, Dangerfield, Johannes, Whitcomb, Onyenwere, Richards, and Willoughby.

New York is 10-18. Of course I'm not saying that with a healthy Laney throughout they'd be 18-10. But if they'd won three close games that they lost they'd be 13-15 and currently the 6th seed in the playoffs. That wouldn't be great but it would surely be respectable to be ahead of six other teams.

And I don't view either Howard or Dolson as a "bust." Each came directly from much better teams with much bigger stars. Howard, in particular, has had way too much on her shoulders because she's practically never been on the court with both a healthy Laney and a healthy Sabrina.

I'm skeptical that Stewart will choose to come to New York, but imagine if she did. Imagine if Howard and Dolson were playing on a team that had a healthy Stewart, a healthy Laney, and a healthy Sabrina. In that situation, Howard and Dolson just as they are would be valuable.

PostPosted: 07/30/22 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Waiting for my Corrected Season Ticket Price Email is very much like
like "Waiting for Godot" Exclamation

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/30/22 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Waiting for my Corrected Season Ticket Price Email is very much like
like "Waiting for Godot" Exclamation

How outrageous that this is continuing! People who are full season ticket holders are crucial to any sports franchise, but especially to a franchise in a league that has always struggled financially. I've posted before and I'll say again: this reflects very badly on Joe Tsai, Clara Wu Tsai, Keia Clarke, and everyone below them in the hierarchy.

Here's the staff directory for the New York Liberty, which includes 11 members of the Ticket Sales department. But I'd guess that the decision about season ticket prices for the 2023 season involves people above these 11:

https://liberty.wnba.com/new-york-liberty-staff-directory-contact/

I've never held a full season ticket plan for the Liberty and only here and there held partial plans in the Madison Square Garden years. I greatly respect people who are fully committed to our team in this important way. People who spend lots of money out of their commitment and go to every home game or most of them. I hate that this is happening to all of you.

PostPosted: 07/30/22 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with bob that our lack of having our big three of Laney , Howard and Ionescu healthy at the same time has been the biggest impact on our lack of success these last two seasons. With switching style of play and turnovers ( oh and how we struggle containing big athletic guards) as other major factors.

I still think we are going to make the playoffs not necessarily rooting for that but I feel like we have good odds in these last eight games, we will see.

With that in mind I am looking at just outside lottery talent in 23 like Owosu, Diamond Miller and others (Blackwell, Siegert, R. Jackson).

I also think it is really hard to predict what happens with Johannes and Han Xu really hope they come back and would like to see Sabally or Kone on the squad next season.

I still think Stewart could manifest, if not B. Jones would be a nice get or maybe even N. Ogwumike?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/30/22 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I agree with bob that our lack of having our big three of Laney , Howard and Ionescu healthy at the same time has been the biggest impact on our lack of success these last two seasons. With switching style of play and turnovers ( oh and how we struggle containing big athletic guards) as other major factors.

I still think we are going to make the playoffs not necessarily rooting for that but I feel like we have good odds in these last eight games, we will see.

With that in mind I am looking at just outside lottery talent in 23 like Owosu, Diamond Miller and others (Blackwell, Siegert, R. Jackson).

I also think it is really hard to predict what happens with Johannes and Han Xu really hope they come back and would like to see Sabally or Kone on the squad next season.

I still think Stewart could manifest, if not B. Jones would be a nice get or maybe even N. Ogwumike?

Nneka would be a great target. She should jump off the sibling ship of LA as quickly as possible.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/30/22 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

NY plays 4 teams twice: Phoenix, LA, Dallas, Atlanta
While they have a very remote chance of winning them all I'm thinking it's more likely 4 wins, 4 losses. While 4 wins could possibly take them out of the lottery, it looks unlikely to me.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 07/30/22 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

NY plays 4 teams twice: Phoenix, LA, Dallas, Atlanta
While they have a very remote chance of winning them all I'm thinking it's more likely 4 wins, 4 losses. While 4 wins could possibly take them out of the lottery, it looks unlikely to me.

The New York Liberty will be much better served in NOT making the Playoffs

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/30/22 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Queenie wrote:
(we're cheating on basketball next season with the World Cup in Australia).

So jealous. The friend I usually go to women's soccer with says he can't afford Australia, so I probably won't make it. Plus they've spread the schedule out so much it's going to be extra difficult/expensive to follow one team around in the way I'd like to. Bah.

Apologies for the OT-ness.

Yeah, we’re targeting Sydney and intend to just... watch whatever’s there, I guess? Honestly, I’m doing this more for the Australia than for the soccer. It’ll be fun to see some of Gotham’s players for their national teams, and indulge the last vestiges of my St. John’s fandom in cheering for Rachel Daly, because we’re certainly not going to be all ‘rah-rah USA USA’, where’s the fun in that.

Going for the basketball version this year was so, so tempting, but with COVID teaching us all the Greek alphabet, it didn’t seem like a good idea, plus it gives us the extra year to save. Which is the other half of the reason we’d be downgrading our Liberty tickets.

To circle back: Lib fans in the thread, do you have the names of your unresponsive reps? Might be able to get them poked into action, or if you want to slide an e-mail address into my DMs I can share what information we’ve been able to get from our guy Joseph.

PostPosted: 07/30/22 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am no longer advocating for making the playoffs but

I think we could easily sweep both PX and LA and those sweeps with tie breakers will probably be enough for 8th. LA is a mess atm and our post advantage is so extreme against PX that we should be able to counter DT and SDS each going for 20 now If Cunningham kills us again the so be it. I am not as confident against Dallas or Atlanta but splitting either of those series seem possible . If we sweep someone and have tie break I think we will make playoffs with 4 wins 5 for sure, if we get 4 all splits it will depend. 3 or less and we are out.

It might be better to play to lose but I don’t see us doing it

Also with Buekers probably not coming out early and odds being against us getting the #1 pick I am not sure there is a huge difference between 2 and 5. I guess I will have to take a closer look at H. Jones and A. Lee.

I think NY is well positioned to go after a top level FA and that might be better for climbing up the ranks anyway.

But I am cool with whatever happens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 52 of 55

Jump to: