RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ugly Situation At Kansas State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Foss

PostPosted: 04/22/14 5:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Mechelle Voepel will be discussing this issue during her chat at noon Eastern today.

Quote:
Will discuss Diamond DeShields transfer. Plus Kansas State refusing to release Leti Romero, which has drawn a lot of public ire toward KSU.

PostPosted: 04/22/14 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

My point was that despite what Clay has decided, this actually happens in business all the time. It is simply not true that companies and other employers don't restrain employees "ability to switch employers.

here is a prime example of employers joining together to not 'poach' from the other silicon valley tech firms which would eliminate the employees ability to get pay increases via a job change and possible bidding war for the employee:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/business/in-silicon-valley-thriller-a-settlement-may-preclude-the-finale.html?hpw&rref=business

SAN FRANCISCO After years of legal skirmishes, four leading Silicon Valley companies are scheduled to go on trial next month on claims of conspiring to keep their employees down.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/22/14 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

My point was that despite what Clay has decided, this actually happens in business all the time. It is simply not true that companies and other employers don't restrain employees "ability to switch employers.

here is a prime example of employers joining together to not 'poach' from the other silicon valley tech firms which would eliminate the employees ability to get pay increases via a job change and possible bidding war for the employee:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/business/in-silicon-valley-thriller-a-settlement-may-preclude-the-finale.html?hpw&rref=business

SAN FRANCISCO After years of legal skirmishes, four leading Silicon Valley companies are scheduled to go on trial next month on claims of conspiring to keep their employees down.

To be clear, this behavior was illegal. (And, as the URL suggests, it's likely this one will settle before it goes to trial.) It's also different from the NLI.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/22/14 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

To be clear, this behavior was illegal. (And, as the URL suggests, it's likely this one will settle before it goes to trial.) It's also different from the NLI.

So here's my question about the non-compete (a good point, by the way): Can a college player find a job (scholarship) that does not include a non-compete clause? Can a normal employee?

Or, to put it another way, presumably a potential employee could negotiate with his new company (as I have done) about the length of, or potential financial penalty, if he or she decides to leave the company he or she is considering. There are, in short, options, though certain cartels might restrain those options.

Which leads me to again ask: What would be wrong with an association that represented college athletes on scholarship? What harm would it do if it gave employees/athletes a mechanism to redress perceived greivances?

PostPosted: 04/22/14 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
beknighted wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

So here's my question about the non-compete (a good point, by the way): Can a college player find a job (scholarship) that does not include a non-compete clause? Can a normal employee?

Or, to put it another way, presumably a potential employee could negotiate with his new company (as I have done) about the length of, or potential financial penalty, if he or she decides to leave the company he or she is considering. There are, in short, options, though certain cartels might restrain those options.

Which leads me to again ask: What would be wrong with an association that represented college athletes on scholarship? What harm would it do if it gave employees/athletes a mechanism to redress perceived greivances?

Above a certain level in most companies, a non-compete clause is pretty much guaranteed. The reasoning is based on value to the company, and it's fair to say that similar reasoning might apply to basketball players.

As for your question, I will refer you to my earlier answer.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 04/22/14 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Above a certain level in most companies, a non-compete clause is pretty much guaranteed. The reasoning is based on value to the company, and it's fair to say that similar reasoning might apply to basketball players.

So, if all things are equal, shouldn't it be the coaches (the CEOs so to speak) that are signing non-compete clauses, not the student athletes? Isn't a head coach far more valuable to the university than any 1 student athlete?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/22/14 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

So, if all things are equal, shouldn't it be the coaches (the CEOs so to speak) that are signing non-compete clauses, not the student athletes? Isn't a head coach far more valuable to the university than any 1 student athlete?

A fair question, and I probably should have been more precise. Non-competes are not that common at the very tippy-top of the corporate ladder because those people have bargaining leverage. (You will see them in severance agreements for CEOs and the like, say after a corporate takeover.) On the other hand, they're very common in jobs like TV news anchors, who probably correspond more directly to the athletes on a college team.

Most coaches have either provisions that require them to complete their contracts or buyouts if they go somewhere else mid-contract. Buyouts are routinely enforced, although the clauses requiring them to complete their contracts often are not. These are rough equivalents to non-competes, but they're not quite the same.

And I should be clear here that nothing I've been saying should be read as suggesting even a little tiny bit that I approve of what's going on here. I think athletes should be given their releases more or less for any reason they want, and particularly when there's been a coaching change.

gymrat32

PostPosted: 04/22/14 4:33 pm    ::: The negative press continues... Reply Reply with quote

From Twitter: https://twitter.com/Hoopsking1968

Hoopsking1968
@MikeFlynn826 @cterrier100 @JayBilas @kstate_pres I've already red flagged KSU and sent emails out to over 25 local HS's on the State of KS.
Retweeted by MikeFlynn826

PostPosted: 04/22/14 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"One source with information about the women's program did tell GoPowercat.com that all matters regarding the women's basketball program have been slowed by someone's attempt to destroy records, both in paper and digital formats, concerning the program and its players, including their recruitment and medical histories."

"Another source also stated that there was a lot going on inside the program that has been learned following Patterson's firing that has strongly reinforced the decision to fire her as coach."

https://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1634056

Howee

PostPosted: 04/22/14 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ksuwbbfan wrote:

Quote:
"Student privacy prevents discussion of individual student issues. As athletics director I have an obligation to all of our student-athletes and institution to ensure department and university procedures are followed. Generally speaking, on RARE occasions that we have denied a student-athlete transfer release it has been because of concerns about outside tampering, undue influence by third parties or procedures not being followed in an honest and forthright manner."

Ohhh, my....does the plot thicken here? Shocked

Quote:
Even more different about this case is the suspicion that one of the former coaches is actually dangling Romero as an enticement to get a new job. Note that none of these coaches have been announced as new employees at any other schools.

Hell-OOOO-oooo.... Twisted Evil

Quote:
One source with information about the women's program did tell GoPowercat.com that all matters regarding the women's basketball program have been slowed by someone's attempt to destroy records, both in paper and digital formats, concerning the program and its players, including their recruitment and medical histories.

Whatever FOR, Debbie PQuestion

Quote:
Another source also stated that there was a lot going on inside the program that has been learned following Patterson's firing that has strongly reinforced the decision to fire her as coach.

Color me shocked. Or not. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
What is becoming clear to those who take time to research the situation is that an internal investigation into the activities of the former women's program and its former coaches is underway.

Ruh-Rooh. Mad

All beyond sad, really....especially if allegations of corruption are borne out. THAT will create a bigger black eye than not setting Romero free. Confused

PostPosted: 04/23/14 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess it's progress that Kansas State's AD John Currie now realizes that the university is getting a black eye and is trying some damage control, even if only through his twitter account. But he can't have it both ways. Last week we were told that K-State's published policy was to rarely grant requests for releases. This week Currie says that it's rare for the university to refuse such requests. Then he uses innuendo to imply that something improper is going on in Romero's case (although of course he can't discuss it due to privacy concerns).

It's not going to work. The university is sinking deeper into their self-created morass. If Currie wants to end the damage, he should stop worrying about whether or not Romero will end up playing for a school that hired one of the assistants Currie fired, and simply grant her release.

PostPosted: 04/23/14 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow...sounds like a ton of issues are swirling around this program. The cork was Patterson and now that she has been removed, it is all spilling out.

Can't wait to see what is left once the dust settles...

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/23/14 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shalee Lehning....interesting to see where she lands and If Romero tries to follow.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/23/14 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Wow...sounds like a ton of issues are swirling around this program. The cork was Patterson and now that she has been removed, it is all spilling out.

Can't wait to see what is left once the dust settles...

Yeah, it feels like Romero got caught in a twister, like Dorothy and Toto, and is being used as an example to other student-athletes. Behave or else! Mad

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/23/14 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ksuwbbfan wrote:
"One source with information about the women's program did tell GoPowercat.com that all matters regarding the women's basketball program have been slowed by someone's attempt to destroy records, both in paper and digital formats, concerning the program and its players, including their recruitment and medical histories."

"Another source also stated that there was a lot going on inside the program that has been learned following Patterson's firing that has strongly reinforced the decision to fire her as coach."

You know, this could all be true..or not. People and programs have been known to lie about stuff to make themselves look better, and since Patterson is not there to defend herself, it could also be "damage control" stories made up out of whole cloth or slanted to cast the athletic department in a more favorable light. I refer you to Chris Christie's in-house investigation, or numerous other "investigations" and "reports" of the same type. Playing devil's advocate here because I think that is important.

PostPosted: 04/30/14 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Romero case should lead to reform

http://msn.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/k-state-s-romero-case-should-inspire-ncaa-reform-of-transfer-rules-042914

Quote:
Is the opportunity to deny a transfer request in the "best interests" of the student-athlete, as the NCAA keeps insisting is its primary concern, or the best interests of the institution that holds his or her fate in its grasp?

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind

Last edited by pilight on 05/01/14 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/30/14 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://msn.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/k-state-s-romero-case-should-
inspire-ncaa-reform-of-transfer-rules-042914

Quote:
Is the opportunity to deny a transfer request in the "best interests" of the student-athlete, as the NCAA keeps insisting is its primary concern, or the best interests of the institution that holds his or her fate in its grasp?

BAD LINK!

PostPosted: 05/01/14 5:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="summertime blues"]
pilight wrote:

Quote:

BAD LINK!

I get an error message when I click on this link too, but Hoopfeed has the same link that works fine.

PostPosted: 05/01/14 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Joe Foss"]
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

BAD LINK!

I get an error message when I click on this link too, but Hoopfeed has the same link that works fine.

So where's that link? Would you mind posting it please?

PostPosted: 05/01/14 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

BAD LINK!

I think it is fixed now

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
FS02

PostPosted: 05/01/14 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

BAD LINK!

I think it is fixed now

Yes if you go up to the original post. Before that, I just copied the whole text of the link into my browser and it worked. That's always something to try if someone's link seems broken.

PostPosted: 05/02/14 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glenn, from following this for a long time in football, where there obviously are many many more transfers, my impression is that permission to contact is almost always granted, but it almost always has strings, like not in conference and not to teams on the upcoming schedule, and frequently not to a school where the head coach or an assistant who recruited the player has moved (because of assumed tampering in all likelihood).

I don't understand the assumption by some that the school is doing something wrong by imposing restrictions, at least under the current rules. The default under the rules is no contact. That's why permission must affirmatively be granted. If the rule was that anyone could transfer anywhere anytime, there wouldn't be any need for any permission. Whether the rule should be changed is a different discussion and is not school-specific. But right now, free agency is not the rule.

But I believe the instances in which a player gets no permission to contact any other school are nearly non-existant, and when really broad restrictions are imposed by a coach they are almost always cut back or eliminated by the non-athletic department review panel required by the rules. The "have to pay your own way for a year" situation almost never arises unless a player is dead set on attending one particular school that the current school won't budge on, and usually not even then in the end.

And particularly in men's basketball the number of "hardship" waivers from even the one year sit-out rule are becoming commonplace and routine so that players are transferring and playing immedietly, and what constitutes "hardship" is being stretched beyond any logic. And the "graduate school" transfer rule is also being used far more commonly than was ever the intent of the rule.

My impression is that transfers are far more unrestricted in WBB than in football. Maybe that is what leads to this assumption here that the school is somehow "evil" if it does not allow unfettered transfer. And we don't know what has happened behind the scenes at KSt to cause that stance. That's not to say that denying permission to contact anywhere is remotely reasonable (it's not), and I expect the coach will be overruled by others in the school before this is over.

greatgator

PostPosted: 05/02/14 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
As I've discussed with Beknighted somewhere on this board, I don't think we know whether Diamond DeShields has been granted, denied or even requested a transfer release yet.

As discussed in another thread, UNC Coach Hatchell indicated last night that Diamond DeShields has been granted an unconditional release.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/02/14 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://msn.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/k-state-s-romero-case-should-inspire-ncaa-reform-of-transfer-rules-042914

Quote:

OK, I finally got to the link and read the article. Currie's tweets have reinforced my opinion that KSU is doing nothing so much as being a complete dog in the manger and selfishly holding onto Romero at all costs. He sounds like an @$$hat and I'm ashamed to hear that he came from Tennessee Embarassed

PostPosted: 05/02/14 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Currie may be acting like an ass, but in the end it's not his decision. This is how the NCAA itself describes the process in the "NCAA Transfer Guide - 2013-14":

"Written permission-to-contact

Generally, if you are enrolled as a full-time student at an NCAA or National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) four-year school and you want to transfer to a different NCAA school to play, your current schools athletics director must give written permission-to-contact to the new coach or member of the athletics staff before you or your parents can talk with one of them. That is called having a permission-to-contact letter. You may write to any NCAA school saying that you are interested in transferring, but the new coach must not discuss transfer opportunities with you unless he or she has received written permission-to-contact from your current school.

If your current school does not give you written permission-to-contact, another school cannot contact you and encourage you to transfer. This does not preclude you from transferring; however, if the new school is in Division I or II, you cannot receive an athletics scholarship until you have attended the new school for one academic year.

Also, if your current school officials deny your request to permit another institution to contact you about transferring, they must tell you in writing that you have a right to appeal the decision. In that instance, a panel of individuals from your current school who are not involved in athletics will conduct a hearing to decide the issue."

Most of the time these panels from outside the athletic departments eliminate or scale back outlandish restrictions that the athletic department is trying to impose.

Has Romero received or even requested that review? Or is she just choosing to try to get what she wants by going to the press with a publicity campaign?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: