RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten Tournament underway
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thrillrider08

PostPosted: 03/09/08 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Illini, great run! Stupid Purdue Laughing

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 03/09/08 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
I'm crushed.

You know what? You know your team has arrived when you feel as if you've just been kicked hard in the gut.

As a Purdue fan, believe me, I've had that feeling more than I would care to admit. Conversely as a Purdue fan, I've also known the euphoria that comes sometimes with being a force in this sport.

Tonight was one of those moments......and believe me, if Law can recruit like she can coach, it will be much sooner than later that you will be feeling that euphoria as well.

Illinois played a helluva game tonight.....honestly, it was either team's game at the end, and Purdue was fortunate to win it. I know that.

Illinois and its fans have nothing to hang their heads over. I hope that the game you played today sits with the NCAA committee because Illinois deserves an at-large bid, and I would not want to face the Orange in an early round.

PostPosted: 03/09/08 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was little bummed I didn't record the game. Now I wish I had seen it. I only saw the highlights. Congrats to Purdue. I think everyone thought they were down and out but they did it and they'll be better next year.

Congrats to the Illini as well. I know they didn't finish as well, but I think they have a good shot at the big dance. Law has really done an amazing job and if she gets it done this quickly, I'm expecting them to be a national player in the next few years.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 03/09/08 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, that was THE game of the entire tournament.

Illlinois will be the pain in everyone else's butt soon enough!

PostPosted: 03/09/08 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Yeah, I'm so proud of my team. This is a team that battled the entire season, only to come up short. This season ended like it has all season, but then again, Illinois wasn't even supposed to get to the final. Hell, they weren't supposed to get to the semi's. Win or lose, I'm still proud of my girls. I don't know what 7- player team can play four game in four days and still remain competitve.

And lastly, I hope you enjoyed the Jenna Smith Show. And don't worry, we'll be back next year for more! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 03/09/08 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Yeah, I'm so proud of my team. This is a team that battled the entire season, only to come up short. This season ended like it has all season, but then again, Illinois wasn't even supposed to get to the final. Hell, they weren't supposed to get to the semi's. Win or lose, I'm still proud of my girls. I don't know what 7- player team can play four game in four days and still remain competitve.

And lastly, I hope you enjoyed the Jenna Smith Show. And don't worry, we'll be back next year for more! Twisted Evil

I have had some Jenna Smith love for some time now...she gave a hard look at Minny, but that was when they were loaded at her position. They made a mistake letting her out of the state as close as she was to the U. The player that I am very impressed with is Harris...she has the ability and can take over a game on both sides of the floor. I would have like to have seen Bjork step up her game a little more this year and Illinois still needs to learn how to get over the hump in close games. No doubt in my mind that Law is very much the real deal and this team got a taste of what I think they will make a move toward in the very near future. I like that she has each player shake the opposing coaches hand during pre-game line-ups...classy.

desafiada6

PostPosted: 03/10/08 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got home about 30 minutes ago from Indy...heck of a game. I just wanted to say GO BOILERS and the Illini played SO well, could've gone either way, just lucky for us that Kiki followed that shot and knocked it down. I knew it was gonna be a battle when the tip at the start led to a scrum for the ball and a 2nd tip was needed. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/10/08 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team's title bid ends at buzzer
Quote:
"They fought and they gave me everything they have," head coach Jolette Law said.

"I wanted to defeat all odds. No one expected us to be here. I wanted it so bad for them to cut down the nets and go to the NCAAs. This hurt me more than any other loss than I've probably had in my career. I wanted it so much for my young ladies."

PostPosted: 03/10/08 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was a really good game. Hopefully both programs improve next year.

As for Illinois getting an at-large bid, I wouldn't count on it. With 14 losses and a losing conference record will not help them. SOS at 51 is ok, but an RPI of 66 will not get it done with so many other conference teams with better numbers hoping to make the big dance.

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 03/10/08 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:

As for Illinois getting an at-large bid, I wouldn't count on it. With 14 losses and a losing conference record will not help them. SOS at 51 is ok, but an RPI of 66 will not get it done with so many other conference teams with better numbers hoping to make the big dance.

If Purdue isn't 1000% better next year I will be shocked and extremely disappointed.

We lose Kalika France, who was extremely inconsistent (but really was a sparkplug during the BTT).

Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton is returning......Jodi Howell is returning.....adding a top 10 class (and one of those players can score in bunches). Keshia Mosley will be a sophomore, and she blossomed during this tourney....Malone is going to be a Junior, and Campbell and Freeman are going to be seniors as well.

Barring any injuries/defections.......I really like this team for next year on paper anyway.

PostPosted: 03/10/08 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:

I agree. Although I want so bad for these girls to get in, I just don't see it. I mean, SHOULD they get in? Yeah. They're peaking at the right time and took out two top Big Ten teams(OSU and MSU) along the ride. Then they hung with Purdue, who is also peaking at the right time.

However, I don't think the committee has the balls to award a 9th place team in the Big Ten with a bid. A third/fourth place out of a mediocre conference like the Mountain West sadly has a better shot. It's just the nature of the beast.

PostPosted: 03/10/08 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

I agree. Although I want so bad for these girls to get in, I just don't see it. I mean, SHOULD they get in? Yeah. They're peaking at the right time and took out two top Big Ten teams(OSU and MSU) along the ride. Then they hung with Purdue, who is also peaking at the right time.

However, I don't think the committee has the balls to award a 9th place team in the Big Ten with a bid. A third/fourth place out of a mediocre conference like the Mountain West sadly has a better shot. It's just the nature of the beast.

Well, stranger things have happened. I don't think that you can completely discount Illinois. Unfortunately, some other teams in mid-majors have done extremely well and may get at-large bids if they don't win their conference tourneys leaving fewer spots for major conferences. However, a lot of those Big Ten teams are bunched together. They will get a hard look from the committee.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 03/10/08 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Koopster wrote:

They made a mistake letting her out of the state as close as she was to the U.

It was really out of their hands they knew she wasn't going to stay and even if she did she might not of got to start or have any playing time her first two years because of the upper class men so Ill was the right choice for her.

Anyway, congrats to Purdue!!

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/10/08 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
umbeta1455 wrote:

Well, stranger things have happened. I don't think that you can completely discount Illinois. Unfortunately, some other teams in mid-majors have done extremely well and may get at-large bids if they don't win their conference tourneys leaving fewer spots for major conferences. However, a lot of those Big Ten teams are bunched together. They will get a hard look from the committee.

You know, for a team in the 60s, Illinois doesn't look too bad. And I've heard (although I don't really know if I believe this) that the committee counts conference tournament games when figuring a team's conference record, which would put the Illini at .500. My guess is that they won't get in, but it wouldn't be the first time a team with an RPI that low got in as an at large.

Koopster

PostPosted: 03/10/08 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Koopster wrote:

They made a mistake letting her out of the state as close as she was to the U.

It was really out of their hands they knew she wasn't going to stay and even if she did she might not of got to start or have any playing time her first two years because of the upper class men so Ill was the right choice for her.

Anyway, congrats to Purdue!!

Thanks! I could be wrong, but I remember hearing from a few in the cities that she was interested, but knew she would get more time earlier elsewhere. We had the same problem at Purdue with Scouby. I met her aunt this past weekend and she said she liked Purdue a lot, but knew at the time we had some pretty good players coming in (as well as the fact that she connected with Iowa too).

I also met Emily Fox's parents this weekend and sat with them for a game. Very nice people and her brother has Purdue narrowed down as one of his few academic choices.

JayeRunner

PostPosted: 03/10/08 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IndyPurduefan wrote:
And honestly, it's not surprising that OSU lost, given the fact that they just aren't a good tourney team under Foster.

I hate to disagree with you, but you are completely wrong. OSU is not a good big game team under Foster. It is a given that the conference and NCAA are always big games, but when you add in games against Top 10 teams - we too often hit the court ill prepared and psychologically flat.

If a coach cannot get his/her team properly prepared for big games during the season, then come tourney time... just forget it.

Never fear. Foster's contact is up in another 7 years. Rolling Eyes

gopherfan

PostPosted: 03/10/08 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I remember hearing from a few in the cities that she was interested, but knew she would get more time earlier elsewhere.

Im sure she was interested but it wasn't a grantee that she would stay. Janessa Wolff (who picked Penn State instead of Minnesota) was the exact opposite she didn't want to get pushed into the starting line up this was after we were down a few post players but I think Dock committed that year to the Gophers.

Quote:
"I didn't want to go to a school that would tell me that I would
start right away," said Wolf, the second of eight children between
the ages of 20 and 2. "All through my high school career, I've had
it all revolve around me. I want to be an impact player, but I don't
want everything to revolve around me my freshman year. I want to
work for my spot and earn it."

Quote:
also met Emily Fox's parents this weekend and sat with them for a game. Very nice people and her brother has Purdue narrowed down as one of his few academic choices.

Brennan or Kit?

Koopster

PostPosted: 03/10/08 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I remember hearing from a few in the cities that she was interested, but knew she would get more time earlier elsewhere.

Im sure she was interested but it wasn't a grantee that she would stay. Janessa Wolff (who picked Penn State instead of Minnesota) was the exact opposite she didn't want to get pushed into the starting line up this was after we were down a few post players but I think Dock committed that year to the Gophers.

Quote:
"I didn't want to go to a school that would tell me that I would
start right away," said Wolf, the second of eight children between
the ages of 20 and 2. "All through my high school career, I've had
it all revolve around me. I want to be an impact player, but I don't
want everything to revolve around me my freshman year. I want to
work for my spot and earn it."

Quote:
also met Emily Fox's parents this weekend and sat with them for a game. Very nice people and her brother has Purdue narrowed down as one of his few academic choices.

Brennan or Kit?

Good question...not sure which one. Are they both close to the same age?

gopherfan

PostPosted: 03/10/08 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Koopster wrote:

Good question...not sure which one. Are they both close to the same age?

Not sure..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: