RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/15/21 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
An important question: How do you pronounce Awak Kuier?

She says it herself right at the start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syNWJLAI-IY (also illustrating that she certainly wouldn't have any issue with a language barrier in the US).

PostPosted: 02/15/21 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
With that major Howard trade in our rearview mirror the next major question that is coming up is what is Dallas going to do with all those 2021 first round draft picks? They can't keep all of them without dropping some players on their current roster. Inquiring minds want to know. Cool

Sh#@ you and me both!!! I've been trying to get some inside info, but they keep telling me that Greg is talking about it with any of them, so....

pilight

PostPosted: 02/15/21 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Best answer I've found:

https://www.howtopronounce.com/awak-kuier

Most people hate poetry
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/15/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

She says it herself right at the start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syNWJLAI-IY (also illustrating that she certainly wouldn't have any issue with a language barrier in the US).

Thank you for this! Kinda sounds to me like "AH-vahk Kwet" – not difficult to pronounce at all. Yes, no language barrier for when she comes to the States – also I'm a little obsessed with her speaking tone, it's so cute & young-sounding. 🥺Definitely in "protect her at all costs" mode with her lol. 😅

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/15/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely a V sound in Awak and there was no differentiation between the K sounds in the first and last names. I hear "AH-vahk-weer" with a slightly rolled r.

PostPosted: 02/15/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Best answer I've found:

Yeah, that site pronounces it kinda like A-woc Gor (long A). When she says it, the name sounds more like, Ah-voc Gweer.

PostPosted: 02/15/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Best answer I've found:

Yeah, that site pronounces it kinda like A-woc Gor (long A). When she says it, the name sounds more like, Ah-voc Gweer.

So how would she know how to pronounce her name correctly. (People have though everyone in my family, and me pronounce our name wrong for years.)

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/15/21 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Collier didn’t look like a #1 pick today against the Baylor posts . 2 pts 4 rebs and she fouled out in a sleeper as the bears ran away with this one early. .

It was a very anemic performance along with the rest of the Texas players.
Embarassed

If Collier really is the #1 pick, I think we saw why that pick has been passed around like a hot potato. If Dallas takes her, it won't be anywhere near as bad as the Akhator pick though. I do have problems with the teams Texas has played this year - in terms of her facing any kind of real opposition that comes anywhere close to what she will face in the W. Her three point shot may be her saving grace because I don't think she is all that great around the basket. But she looks like maybe she can learn so hopefully could improve substantially eventually.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/15/21 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

So how would she know how to pronounce her name correctly. (People have though everyone in my family, and me pronounce our name wrong for years.)

Functionally, your name is simply an identifier. However you want it pronounced is the "correct" way. So, if Awak Kuier wants to prononunce her name as "LeBron James," then that's the correct pronunciation.

PostPosted: 02/15/21 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Collier didn’t look like a #1 pick today against the Baylor posts . 2 pts 4 rebs and she fouled out in a sleeper as the bears ran away with this one early. .

It was a very anemic performance along with the rest of the Texas players.
Embarassed

If Collier really is the #1 pick, I think we saw why that pick has been passed around like a hot potato. If Dallas takes her, it won't be anywhere near as bad as the Akhator pick though. I do have problems with the teams Texas has played this year - in terms of her facing any kind of real opposition that comes anywhere close to what she will face in the W. Her three point shot may be her saving grace because I don't think she is all that great around the basket. But she looks like maybe she can learn so hopefully could improve substantially eventually.

But the same lack of faith holds true for any of the #1 pick candidates. NY or Seattle would have been more apt to hold onto the pick if they thought Kuier, Davis, Mack, Guiarantes, Onyenwere, Dungee or anyone else was standing out to them. It is not just Collier as the #1 pick that is getting passed around it is anyone from this class.

I am actually very happy with NY getting the #6 pick. I would be thrilled if Collier fell to #6, it would be a win/win for me the player I would've taken at #1 without the pressure of screwing up the #1 pick. (I will also be cool with Austin, Kuier, or Mack at #6). If all four of those players are off the board I am going to have to think a little harder between Davis, Walker, Rupert, Perry or going guard targeting Westbrook, Dungee or even Evans who I really like, but might not fit as well because of her size.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/15/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree J-spoon. The pressure is off when you have #6 rather than #1, and getting Howard is fabulous.

- Amanda Gorman
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 02/15/21 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I’m hearing Kweer like queer, but I guess that doesn’t surprise me Laughing

Awak seems like a nice young player who is a thoughtful speaker. Can’t wait to see how this draft shakes out!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/15/21 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I’m hearing Kweer like queer, but I guess that doesn’t surprise me Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/16/21 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The difference between #1 and #6 in value in this draft just doesn’t seem that great. Watching Collier against Baylor play most on the perimeter and it occurred to me after watching a few sets. Collier doesn’t know how to set a screen. Well either that or she knows how but is just really uncomfortable with the footwork. Nor do her teammates know how to run a player into a screen. Well again, either they don’t know how or Collier’s footwork disrupts the timing. It was flabbergasting to watch. I mean, it’s not that complicated. A 5-minute YouTube video is all you really need. Or watch Natasha Howard. I can’t say for sure that she doesn’t know how to do it, that was just my first thought watching it. Either way though, she sure has trouble executing it.

The reason why Collier is so erratic is probably in large part due to fundamentals. She has some raw physical skills. But man she has a lot to learn. I was incredulous watching it.

But that is indeed the reason the #1 pick is getting passed around. Collier and Mack have upside mixed with weaknesses.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe it's time for a swap. Maybe Collier should stay in school, and it's Shakira Austin who should come out early.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
With that major Howard trade in our rearview mirror the next major question that is coming up is what is Dallas going to do with all those 2021 first round draft picks? They can't keep all of them without dropping some players on their current roster. Inquiring minds want to know. Cool

I am still waiting for someone to answer this question. DAL has five picks if you count #13. How do you make room for them on the roster....trade them for '22 or '23 picks. LOL

PostPosted: 02/16/21 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

uptochallenge wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I am still waiting for someone to answer this question. DAL has five picks if you count #13. How do you make room for them on the roster....trade them for '22 or '23 picks. LOL

Cut Gustafson gets you to 10. Try to use one of the picks to get someone to take an unwanted contract (likely Ndour, but they probably wouldn't mind moving Jefferson or Harrison either). Hopefully, that could get you to 9 with only 3 firsts left (might just have to sacrifice #13, or use at least one of the picks on a foreigner who won't show up). And that fits.

I'm sure they'd like to make a big trade for Griner or whomever, and maybe they can move a pick or two for a 2022 first to push an asset down the line, but that's your basic scenario for just about making this work. Problem is there isn't much cap space left around the league. Finding anyone to take a contract, even with a pick as incentive, is rather difficult at this point.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Maybe it's time for a swap. Maybe Collier should stay in school, and it's Shakira Austin who should come out early.

Austin at 6 would be great as well, she may even be more of a fit with the system but

I could see Atl at 3 or Dallas at 5 taking Austin (maybe even more than Collier)

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/16/21 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
uptochallenge wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Cut Gustafson gets you to 10. Try to use one of the picks to get someone to take an unwanted contract (likely Ndour, but they probably wouldn't mind moving Jefferson or Harrison either). Hopefully, that could get you to 9 with only 3 firsts left (might just have to sacrifice #13, or use at least one of the picks on a foreigner who won't show up). And that fits.

I'm sure they'd like to make a big trade for Griner or whomever, and maybe they can move a pick or two for a 2022 first to push an asset down the line, but that's your basic scenario for just about making this work. Problem is there isn't much cap space left around the league. Finding anyone to take a contract, even with a pick as incentive, is rather difficult at this point.

Yeah Dallas could end up something like
cut Gustafson maybe NDour decides to come over?

Mabrey/Harris/Jefferson
Ogunbowale/#5
Gray/Thorton
Sabally/Alarie/#2
Harrison/#1

hopefully trade #7 (or even #5) for a future pick maybe Conn or Washington offers a future 2nd round pick for 7 or 13, or even a future first round pick for 5 or 7?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/16/21 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Edited in the Lisa Leslie Award semifinalists into this post to keep them all together.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=97934&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=574

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/16/21 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Edited in the Lisa Leslie Award semifinalists into this post to keep them all together.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=97934&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=574

thanks. I was just looking for the lisa Leslie list, so this is very helpful.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/16/21 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2021-02-09/2021-midseason-team-naismith-womens-player-year-announced
Naismith Midseason List
Aliyah Boston So. F South Carolina SEC
Paige Bueckers Fr. G UConn BIG EAST
Caitlin Clark Fr. G Iowa Big Ten
Charli Collier Jr. F/C Texas Big 12
Zia Cooke So. G South Carolina SEC
Elissa Cunane Jr. C NC State ACC
Rennia Davis Sr. G/F Tennessee SEC
Chelsea Dungee Sr. G Arkansas SEC
Dana Evans Sr. G Louisville ACC
Kysre Gondrezick Sr. G West Virginia Big 12
Arella Guirantes Sr. G Rutgers Big Ten
Anastasia Hayes Jr. G Middle Tennessee State C-USA
Naz Hillmon Jr. F Michigan Big Ten
Rhyne Howard Jr. G Kentucky SEC
Rickea Jackson So. F Mississippi St. SEC
Ashley Joens Jr. G/F Iowa State Big 12
Haley Jones So. G Stanford Pac-12
N'dea Jones Sr. F Texas A&M SEC
Dorka Juhász Jr. F Ohio State Big Ten
Natasha Mack Sr. F Oklahoma State Big 12
Aari McDonald Sr. G Arizona Pac-12
Olivia Nelson-Ododa Jr. F UConn BIG EAST
Michaela Onyenwere Sr. F UCLA Pac-12
Charisma Osborne So. G UCLA Pac-12
Ashley Owusu So. G Maryland Big Ten
Lindsey Pulliam Sr. G Northwestern Big Ten
NaLyssa Smith Jr. F Baylor Big 12
Jasmine Walker Sr. F Alabama SEC
Kiana Williams Sr. G Stanford Pac-12
Christyn Williams Jr. G UConn BIG EAST

Senior/Grad
Draft eligible junior

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/17/21 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

This _____________X She has seem to fly under the radar on this board since her transfer but she's elgible as well and id take her before Collier anyday !

PostPosted: 02/17/21 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://netsrepublic.com/wnba-mock-draft-2-0-trades-shake-up-the-draft/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/17/21 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mack with another impressive line against Oklahoma tonight.
Mack 26 pts (12-17, 2-3 FT), 18 reb (6 off), 5 ast, 0 TO, 2 stl, 5 blk in 33 min

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 26 of 53

Jump to: