RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCONN @ RU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnydeefan3

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
33 pts 6 steals for Prince?

yeah, she may be showing that she can score a lot against someone other that that poor team she lit up for 113...i'm still not a fan tho

"Taurasi has boundless energy and is still -- even during the national anthem, she is bouncing side-to-side. She frowned when informed that she was actually a calming influence with her words. "I say it in a fiery way, though," the Phoenix Mercury guard said."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/21/AR2008082103333.html

"If there ain't basketball in heaven, then I ain't going." - Diana Taurasi

It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts. " - John Wooden

Phoenix Mercury 2007 WNBA Champions
Kailapea

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn... WHo would have thunk it....

Epiphany Prince and Maya Moore are gamers..... Great game to watch.

braveniler58

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't say I didn't expect this. Definitely disappointed, but I know UConn, healthy, is the better team. Losing Mel and Kalana definitely hurts this team more than most realize, but UConn is still one of the best.

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a great, great basketball game. Terrific individual effort by Prince. She was amazing with 33 pts, 6 rebs, 6 stls.

73-71 RU final.

- Diana Taurasi
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

Shocked

I'm not surprised Prince led RU since she's their best player. But 33 points? And 6 steals? That's major stuff.

Mathies to LA 2013
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thatGAgirl wrote:
Fucking Montgomery Rolling Eyes

Agreed. She should have been inbounding to Maya, then slipping in as a second option if Maya couldn't get a 3 off.

Low and behold, those two points given up by Dixon's lane violation cost us.

sunnydeefan3

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thatGAgirl wrote:
What a great, great basketball game. Terrific individual effort by Prince. She was amazing with 33 pts, 6 rebs, 6 stls.

73-71 RU final.

way to be diplomatic GAgirl Smile.... I'm still seething over not being able to pull out the win...personally, i know who i think is #1 Smile

"Taurasi has boundless energy and is still -- even during the national anthem, she is bouncing side-to-side. She frowned when informed that she was actually a calming influence with her words. "I say it in a fiery way, though," the Phoenix Mercury guard said."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/21/AR2008082103333.html

"If there ain't basketball in heaven, then I ain't going." - Diana Taurasi

It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts. " - John Wooden

Phoenix Mercury 2007 WNBA Champions
played3on3

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great Game Exclamation Congrats Rutgers Very Happy

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoot least we won't pull a Patriots!! Oh well.. Win some lose some!! GO HUSKIES!

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW!!! Epiphanny was amazing. Maya was amazing. RU took down UConn. What a great game. Only drawback is that I wasn't there.

Wow.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ahh so frustrating. Why was the ball not going to Maya. Why did Ketia and Renee stink up the last ten minutes. I can live with losing on a missed shot, but I can't live with losing on a dumbass turnover. Pathetic. Hello, Tina Charles is on your team UConn. Ever heard of guarding Prince??? What was the free throw discrepancy. When Rutgers comes to UConn, we better fucking destroy them.

memphis10

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

27 all in the second half too! Cool Just don't repeat this next Monday Piph. Evil or Very Mad

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh why didn't Charde play more in the second half. Makes no sense. Kaili did nothing out there.

I am calmer now. UConn will recover.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, that was awesome! I enjoyed that game so very much, not just because Rutgers is one of my top 2 teams either..

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great game, surprisingly exciting for an RU game. Laughing
Kia kept them in the game, but Prince did inflict some major damage. So RU has had UConn's number for how long now?

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:

Shocked

I'm not surprised Prince led RU since she's their best player. But 33 points? And 6 steals? That's major stuff.

Exclamation She's capable of it though. She's already twice the defender she ever was...but the points? She won't even feel that 33 tomorrow.

If Stringer's going to stick with the Pick-A-Chuck offense, she'd be far better off picking Piph than anyone else on the roster.

The idea that Piph could only dominate against cupcakes came from the misinformed who only knew what they read and didn't bother to see for themselves.

Also, regarding her drives, you think she's out of control until you have to guard her....or until you compare her to Matee.

She is deceptively strong and under control when she goes to the rack, which is why 9 times out of 10, she'll finish or get the foul. The scouting report on her at Bergtraum used to be to just stand there and wait for her to run you over....which very few 5'4 15 year olds in the PSAL were willing to do anyway.

By the summer before her senior year, the scouting report had to be thrown out. She had developed a stop and fake move, a stop and pop move, a stop and spin and a pull-up runner....all for her drives into the lane and enhanced her upper body control to the point where she basically elevates into your chest to force contact and take away your angle to block the shot.

Now that she's replaced fat with muscle and lost half a person, she's even better at taking the hit and finishing. With her range, if that jumper is falling, she's near impossible to check. UConn should have made her a passer. Not because she can't pass...I've seen her turn of Kobe and turn on Kidd...but because Rutgers can't shoot.

Piph took it back to Brooklyn tonight though. Stringer's got her humble and playing defense...the only two things she was missing.

Last edited by timber on 02/05/08 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Exquisite

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big win.

memphis10

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
What was the free throw discrepancy.

As you requested: FTM-FTA, Rutgers 20-22, Hussies 8-9
Take away the 11 from Prince and it's even.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
Mirage32

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great game by RU. Tremendous defense as one would expect fromt the Scarlet Knights. UCONN sorely missed Kalana Greene in this game as Epiphany Prince's speed and quickness ate up any matchup she had in the second half.

No whiners here. Both of these teams will be a force in late March.

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Kia kept them in the game, but Prince did inflict some major damage. So RU has had UConn's number for how long now?

2 years Twisted Evil RU with an offense scares the shit out of me. Shocked

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/05/08 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

2 years Twisted Evil RU with an offense scares the shit out of me. Shocked

Maybe it's that gosh-awful weather you're having over there that's doing it. Another round is coming...stay safe!

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/05/08 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I said on the RU board, maybe I should miss more games. (I was on the road tonight).

I am thrilled beyond words, but I'll still have one thing to say:

PIPH!!!!!!!!

Better analysis later when I get a chance to run through the game on Gametracker.

memphis10

PostPosted: 02/05/08 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh yeah round 1 was bad (1 death & dozens injured) but this crap is scaring the shit out of me too. Shocked

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/05/08 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
Can't say I didn't expect this. Definitely disappointed, but I know UConn, healthy, is the better team. Losing Mel and Kalana definitely hurts this team more than most realize, but UConn is still one of the best.

Of course, between the foul trouble, Ketia and Renee struggling at times, Maya Moore not doing much, and the clear "pack it in strategy" from Rutgers, losing two people who can play the same position hurts a bit..

PostPosted: 02/05/08 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although I think my earlier comment more or less covers the really important aspects of the game, here's a little more:

It wasn't just Piph. Vaughn and Junaid contributed 20 points on 10-13 shooting, which probably made it a lot harder for UConn to defend Prince.

Also, the leading rebounder, including 5 on the offensive boards, was Matee Ajavon (which I never would have expected). That might have been as important as her offensive contribution.

Carson was 1-7 from the field, but she hit 3 really key free throws, and people who were there said she did a good job on Moore (although if 15 and 9 is the result of a good job, I hate to think what would have happened if she hadn't done a good job).

As a fan of the game, I have to say that watching Prince evolve has been a great joy. (And it doesn't hurt that she plays for my fave team.) She seems to be combining all the best aspects of Chelsea Newton, Cappie Pondexter and Matee Ajavon, and she's only a sophomore. When Cappie was playing, RU fans pretty much concluded that the contest between her and Sue Wicks for best RU player ever wasn't really close (it was Sue), but I have to say I think Piph could give Wicks a run for her money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: