RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UNC-Duke
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umbeta1455

PostPosted: 01/29/06 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a game. These are the types of games I want to be on on the networks. This was a sick game. It also clearly shows the two best teams in the country. North Carolina beating Duke at Duke is crazy.

Just imagine if Larkins wasn't in foul trouble in the first half.

CKent

PostPosted: 01/29/06 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That may have been the most intense, entertaining regular season game I've ever seen. National title game intensity, Ali vs. Frazier-type emotions running wild, prime time players stepping up...that was as good as it gets. Carolina is about as mentally tough as any team in recent memory. No fear.

And I'd follow Latta into battle tomorrow. Where do I sign up?

umbeta1455

And did you see the camera man after Latta's interview. She started running so he had to start running. He looked like a fool.

sparkfan33

I bet this becomes an ESPN Instant Classic .... what a remarkable game. I could not believe how tough UNC dug in and clawed their way back.

Truly outstanding, and I bleed Duke Blue.

What a week in the WCBB! ... Two #1 vs #2 and #1 changes hands 3 times in 6 days .... Gotta Love it!!!!!!

CKent

PostPosted: 01/29/06 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
And did you see the camera man after Latta's interview. She started running so he had to start running. He looked like a fool.

In other words, he had about as much success as anyone else who tried to keep up with her tonight.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/29/06 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Streaks wrote:
Best.

Game.

EVER.

No diggety. Wink

O.G., congrats on that great win! I'll take a LITTLE crow with a LATTA hot sauce, please. Smile

Next order of business: Now, bballfan, I think you know who is the best PG in the nation. Should we expect an avatar change? Laughing Razz

PostPosted: 01/29/06 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
Next order of business: Now, bballfan, I think you know who is the best PG in the nation. Should we expect an avatar change? Laughing Razz

Laughing Indeed, but my Duke hubris prevents me from rocking a Latta avatar. Smile I will put that tagline in my signature, though.

Mathies to LA 2013
O.G.

PostPosted: 01/29/06 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
O.G., congrats on that great win! I'll take a LITTLE crow with a LATTA hot sauce, please. Smile

Thanks bballfan, you're a good sport. It was a great game. You don't have to eat any crow, as you didn't talk any undue pregame trash ... about the WOMEN'S team at least. Wink

And as we all know, there's a LATTA hoops yet to play this year. I have no doubt Duke will be back in the hunt. In addition to the names everybody knows, Abby Waner looks like she'll be special for the Devils.

Last edited by O.G. on 01/29/06 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
peaceplease

PostPosted: 01/29/06 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was a very good game! Both teams played great. It's too bad somebody has to lose games like this.
Great job ladies!

PEACE
RubberTroll

PostPosted: 01/29/06 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=lieberman_nancy&id=2311641

So did NL watch the game or just read the Box Score?

Likely? Might? Seems alwful wishy-washy for game analysis.

Quote:
The Tar Heels are very lanky and have exceptional close-out speed, meaning Duke's 3-point looks were *likely* more heavily contested than usual.

Quote:
Currie *might* have disappeared a bit on her own, or North Carolina's defense *might* have limited her touches.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/30/06 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nobody else even tries to play like Carolina-- the only way to really prepare for them would be to play against five guards from the NBA. After tonight I'm thinking they're this year's champions unless-- as happened in the tournament last year-- they simply lose control and beat themselves. Which, to do Duke justice, they were one missed three-pointer away from doing.

I knew Latta was this good; I didn't know Larkins was. But props to Alison Bales, who did all she could (and who is like a better, less-slow Roehrig).

pilight

PostPosted: 01/30/06 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RubberTroll wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=lieberman_nancy&id=2311641

Quote:
North Carolina's win Sunday was a tail of two halves.

Rolling Eyes

Most people hate poetry
Keegan

PostPosted: 01/30/06 6:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The 6-foot-1 forward has the skills of a point guard

Has Larkins become the next coming of Nikki Teasley? I've seen her play a couple of times and have been very impressed but uh, I didn't notice any budding point guard (more like the next D-Nasty type forward). Unwarranted hyperbole from NL? (because that's so unusual)

Wish I could have seen this. Alas for Duke...
bullsky

PostPosted: 01/30/06 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone see the pregame talk between Hatchell and Coach G? They showed it on sportscenter, it was funny!

Hatchell: "Wow, Ya'll beat up on Tennessee"
Coach G: "Well you guys beat up on UCONN"

PostPosted: 01/30/06 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Larkins is much closer to 6-3, not 6-1.

UNC hung tough, we didn't make free throws, and we when we had a chance to put the hammer down, we had some silly turnovers (no need for passes of 70 feet over people's heads...on concsecutive possessions). And we still have no way to defend Latta's dribble penetration.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 01/30/06 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:

If Latta started running on you, you'd look like a fool too. Wink

PostPosted: 01/30/06 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I swear, a WCBB player dribbles up the court once, and all of a sudden, the announcers and so-called journalists are claming she can play any position on the floor, including point guard. Sure, put Larkins at point guard, Strother at center, Nicole Powell at the five, etc.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/30/06 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harding still impressed me. She had a solid game against one of the best, if not the best, point gaurds in the nation. Props to her. I'm falling in love with Abby Waner!

As for Strother Cam, I think she should head for the bech, not the five spot. Girl needs some seriouss rest, as you can see from her last few performances. I'm not sure if it is her foot or just logging too many minutes. Probably both.

CKent

PostPosted: 01/30/06 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I swear, a WCBB player dribbles up the court once, and all of a sudden, the announcers and so-called journalists are claming she can play any position on the floor, including point guard.

Thank you. That's one of my most-hated WCBB announcing cliches, too. When did Summer Camp stuff like simply bringing the ball up and running the floor become such breathtaking, Globetrotter-like exhibitions of "mad skillz"?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/30/06 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
As for Strother Cam, I think she should head for the bech, not the five spot. Girl needs some seriouss rest, as you can see from her last few performances. I'm not sure if it is her foot or just logging too many minutes. Probably both.

Oh, I know that. Just referring to her name being brought up among the "all five positions" players (along with Larkins, Nicole Powell, and whomever else is out there). It is just stupid, pointless commentary by the announcers...and it isn't true. Very few people can play multiple positions at the same level. Heck, in the WNBA, only two players can play the 3 and 4 positions at the same level, both offensively and defensively (Catchings and DMJ).

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/30/06 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Gotchya. It is all the versatility garbage they like to talk about. I think I've heard Candace Parker mentioned as a player that can play the 1-5 also.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 01/30/06 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ryan2528 wrote:

Oh, I know that. Just referring to her name being brought up among the "all five positions" players (along with Larkins, Nicole Powell, and whomever else is out there). It is just stupid, pointless commentary by the announcers...and it isn't true. Very few people can play multiple positions at the same level. Heck, in the WNBA, only two players can play the 3 and 4 positions at the same level, both offensively and defensively (Catchings and DMJ).

What about Holdsclaw?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/30/06 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holdsclaw's numbers from 2002-on justify her positioning as a four, not a three.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/30/06 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
North Carolina's win Sunday was a tail of two halves.

Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: 01/30/06 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I swear, a WCBB player dribbles up the court once, and all of a sudden, the announcers and so-called journalists are claming she can play any position on the floor, including point guard. Sure, put Larkins at point guard, Strother at center, Nicole Powell at the five, etc.

Last year, Emily Heikes brought the ball up the court on occassion to break a press. She would be the widest point guard in NCAA history.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: