RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Breanna Stewart
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 03/03/15 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

That only makes sense if the 6'3" player is trying to play at a 6'10" level. Meaning trying to jump 7" above their normal vertical. If they are playing at their normal level, they should be at the same level of tired as the 6'10" player.

ND monitors the players and how much they run and jump during a game and practice. Jewell should be fine.

My position is that shorter players rely on their legs more than tall players and that their legs tire, effecting their shooting.

But let's watch the conference championship final games. Ill predict that the outside shooting will be significantly worse in the 3rd game in three days and it will be due to leg fatigue.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/03/15 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
Art does have a point. Teams in AAC are not exactly top competition.
I want too see how she does in the WNBA against someone like Parker.

Yeah Art has a point.

But ....

Stewart made her own point by being the MOP of the last 2 FF's. As a freshman and a sophomore no less. I don't think there were any AAC teams in those games.
Remember Diggins as a freshman? I don't. She made her rep as a junior and a senior.

And Parker will be 30 when Stewart graduates. She may be retired by then.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/03/15 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

But ...Yeah, Loyd got 31, but 15 of them were in the first 10 minutes of the game. She had but 16 the rest of the game, took 27 shots to get that 31

And the interesting thing is that with her team's entire scoring load on her shoulders, with UConn's defense entirely focused on trying to stop her, Loyd's 10 for 27 shooting percentage was still way better than Stewart's 3-12, despite Stewart being the tallest player in the game.

Better, but not "way" better. Loyd made .87 points per shot. Stewart made .8 points per shot. And scoring isn't all there is. Stewart grabbed 9 rebounds 2 assists and had 2 TO's while Loyd had 1 rebound, 2 assists and 7 TO's.

And with Notre Dame concentrating their entire defense on Lewis and Stewart, Tuck burned them with 25 on 12-19 shooting (11-15 from 2). The goal wasn't to be the leading scorer, it was to win the game.

But I will admit that Notre Dame was faced with a much better defense than UConn. Like you said with respect to the AAC, the level of competition wasn't the same. Very Happy

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 03/03/15 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stewie is an awesome player, no doubt about it. But I think she does have trouble against physicality, which is what happened in the Stanford game...so it depends on a) do the refs allow physicality and b) if she's doubled, can her teammates perform? If a but not b, then UConn is vulnerable. Otherwise they are unstoppable.

That aside, I too think Loyd should be POY. Stewie will go #1 next year, but Loyd has just steadily performed all year while Stewie has just started to go into her unstoppable mode.

That said, it will mean the voters have to go on what actually happened, not on hype. As we have seen in the past, that doesn't always happen.

Stewart in the Stanford game was double and tripled teamed and despite that she score 23 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. She was bothered by physicsl contact, not anymore. Their problem that game it was just mostly Stewart, especially on both ends and no one else. The point you made about her teammates needing to support was the problem identified by Geno right after that game and worked on since.

Geno wanted balance in scoring, team effort on defense and has gotten both. Now that he feels comfortable that at any given time he will have as many as five scorers of on the floor plus five quality defenders, he is focusing on Stewart once again having the most touches. Jefferson controls the game but the offense once again runs through Stewart. She is unstoppable.

PostPosted: 03/03/15 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stewie is an awesome player, no doubt about it. But I think she does have trouble against physicality, which is what happened in the Stanford game...so it depends on a) do the refs allow physicality and b) if she's doubled, can her teammates perform? If a but not b, then UConn is vulnerable. Otherwise they are unstoppable.

That aside, I too think Loyd should be POY. Stewie will go #1 next year, but Loyd has just steadily performed all year while Stewie has just started to go into her unstoppable mode.

That said, it will mean the voters have to go on what actually happened, not on hype. As we have seen in the past, that doesn't always happen.

Stewart in the Stanford game was double and tripled teamed and despite that she score 23 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. She was bothered by physicsl contact, not anymore. Their problem that game it was just mostly Stewart, especially on both ends and no one else. The point you made about her teammates needing to support was the problem identified by Geno right after that game and worked on since.

Geno wanted balance in scoring, team effort on defense and has gotten both. Now that he feels comfortable that at any given time he will have as many as five scorers of on the floor plus five quality defenders, he is focusing on Stewart once again having the most touches. Jefferson controls the game but the offense once again runs through Stewart. She is unstoppable.

Lewis was diagnosed with influenza after the game and missed UConn's next game. But I'm not using that as an excuse. In fact I am glad that Stanford fans have at least one shinning moment to remember this season. Very Happy

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/04/15 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

That only makes sense if the 6'3" player is trying to play at a 6'10" level. Meaning trying to jump 7" above their normal vertical. If they are playing at their normal level, they should be at the same level of tired as the 6'10" player.

ND monitors the players and how much they run and jump during a game and practice. Jewell should be fine.

My position is that shorter players rely on their legs more than tall players and that their legs tire, effecting their shooting.

But let's watch the conference championship final games. Ill predict that the outside shooting will be significantly worse in the 3rd game in three days and it will be due to leg fatigue.

[quote="linkster"][quote="Ex-Ref"]
linkster wrote:

Look at what happend last year. Loyd went 27-54 in the S16, E8 and FF semi, then went 4-15 in the FF final.

I've seen it more in the conference tournaments where 3 games are played in 3 days. Invariably, outside shooting deteriorates. Legs get tired. But it applies to the NCAA's as well, especially the second game of each of the last 2 weekends.

How much is due to fatigue and how much is due to playing better teams and against better defenses? Less time to prepare and work on the scout?

I really find it difficult to believe that guards tire quicker than posts.

Outside shots have to be more precise than inside shots in order to go in. The slightest amount off will cause the shot to miss. If you're playing against quicker, better players, that gives you less time to get a look at the basket and to line up the shot.

I'll give you that shots that come up short are more often due to fatigue.

And I'm not sure when this went from POY to a 3 game tourney. Confused

I still say that Jewell will be OK.

Beemer

PostPosted: 03/04/15 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:

Given Parker's lack of enthusiasm for playing defense Stewart should do well against her.

When I see Parker play I have trouble believing she ever played for Pat Summitt at Tennessee. She must have driven Pat right up the wall Laughing

PostPosted: 03/04/15 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:

This past Summer when Stewie was playing with the national team, several
players commented how she was the "best player" on the floor including Parker. Just thought I'd mention it.... Wink Wink Wink

Also, it should be noted that Stewart played an average of 26 minutes a game. Which will not be the case from now on..... Cool Cool Cool

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/04/15 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Stewie is the better player. If I could only pick one to be on my team it would be her. But I would argue that Loyd has been the most consistent this year and should be given POY. POY should be based on performance, not on who is the best athlete. It's close enough that Stewie will likely get it anyway just because of the hype, and that wouldn't be a terrible thing. Both are deserving.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: