RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

coach P. to Duke
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, but this is a TERRIBLE decision. Better than Katie Meier, but not by much.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Sorry, but this is a TERRIBLE decision. Better than Katie Meier, but not by much.

why?

DukeFan10

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CAM - I agree that Katie Meier would be scraping the bottom of the barrel and Coach P. is closer to the top of the barrel, but the "good" candidates are not surfacing. As a DUKE fan I would have preferred to have Chris Daly (sp?) or even Kara Lawson considered. I know Kara Lawson has no coaching experience, but she KNOWS women's basketball.

My greatest concern is that Joey "The Idiot" Alleva was going to get a Div. II coach. At least, they are considering Div. I coaches with NCAA experience.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess that contract extension McCaullie signed recently didn't mean much. She is not going to be better than Coach G.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DukeFan10 wrote:
CAM - I agree that Katie Meier would be scraping the bottom of the barrel and Coach P. is closer to the top of the barrel, but the "good" candidates are not surfacing. As a DUKE fan I would have preferred to have Chris Daly (sp?) or even Kara Lawson considered. I know Kara Lawson has no coaching experience, but she KNOWS women's basketball.

Kara Lawson? No coaching experience of any kind to take over what has been the third best program in WCBB over the past 10 years? Are you kidding me? She may know basketball, but my guess is you don't.

Coach P isn't near the top of the barrel...unless you barrel sucks.

When you can't recruit and not many people like you (except an AD who won't be there in a few months), it isn't the answer.

Terri Mitchell was the better choice over McCallie.

DukeFan10

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI- the contract extension was not effective until July 1, 2007. Therefore, she was free to check out options....

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
...and not many people like you (except an AD who won't be there in a few months), it isn't the answer.

Who the hell are you talking about?

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
...and not many people like you (except an AD who won't be there in a few months), it isn't the answer.

Who the hell are you talking about?

Joe Alleva.

DukeFan10

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kara Lawson? No coaching experience of any kind to take over what has been the third best program in WCBB over the past 10 years? Are you kidding me? She may know basketball, but my guess is you don't.

Coach P isn't near the top of the barrel...unless you barrel sucks.

When you can't recruit and not many people like you (except an AD who won't be there in a few months), it isn't the answer.

Terri Mitchell was the better choice over McCallie.[/quote]

Geez, CAM easy does it. I was merely mentioning Kara Lawson based on her knowledge of the game. There's no need for you to attempt to present yourself as superior or insult my knowledge of basketball.

Why do you think Mitchell is the better choice???

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DukeFan10 wrote:
Geez, CAM easy does it. I was merely mentioning Kara Lawson based on her knowledge of the game.

By that logic, you could pick board posters to be the head coach.

Sign me up, with Timber, Harlem, and BBallfan2005 as my assistant coaches and PD Swanson as my athletic director.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
DukeFan10 wrote:
Geez, CAM easy does it. I was merely mentioning Kara Lawson based on her knowledge of the game.

By that logic, you could pick board posters to be the head coach.

Sign me up, with Timber, Harlem, and BBallfan2005 as my assistant coaches and PD Swanson as my athletic director.

Please. I am no one's assistant, honey. Laughing

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:

Somewhere, I just heard Goldie telling New York "Rebound girl? Flav dumped your ass twice. You ain't no rebound girl. You're a back-burner bitch." Smile

boilerjay

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCallie has made it clear in the past how much she despises recruiting.....and you can see it from her results. She has never really been able to cash in on MSU's title run in the recruiting game. She brought in her best class yet this season...and Scout rates it as the 16th best class in the country.

DukeFan10

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh CAM, excuse me, you are the all-knowing god of women's basketball.

You really need to grow up and stop insulting people with your "presumed" knowledge of basketball. I have my opinions, but I do not promote them while putting down the opinions of others.

Please, keep the discussion civil. I respect the fact you have opinions, but I respectfully disagree. I expect the same of you.

PostPosted: 04/18/07 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:

Somewhere, I just heard Goldie telling New York "Rebound girl? Flav dumped your ass twice. You ain't no rebound girl. You're a back-burner bitch." Smile

Laughing

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to agree with Cam just because you know the game it doesn't make you a coach. Vitale and Lee Corso haven't had job offers in over 10 years and they are considered the experts in the field.

Don't know about McCallie, but the 6'9 girl fell in her lap. She wanted to play close to home and the division didn't matter.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DukeFan10 wrote:
I have my opinions

And I have my opinions of your opinions.

Joey Nations wrote:
I have to agree with Cam just because you know the game it doesn't make you a coach.

Exactly. Knowing the game doesn't mean you know how to deal with personalities, recruit, adjust to in-game situations, etc.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dammit..i used to like mcallie.

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Knowing the game doesn't mean you know how to deal with personalities, recruit, adjust to in-game situations, etc.

Apparently, you know everything CAM, why aren't you the next coach at Duke? OH, I know why, because you can't deal with personalities! You just sit at you PC all day pathetically scanning the boards.

I just think Kara will make a good coach someday. As you may recall, there wasn't much knowledge about Coach Summitt before she got the head coaching job at TENN.[/quote]

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#4-MSU-4ever wrote:
Lansing radio station has just confirmed that Coach P. has accepted the Duke job. Apparently they threw a lot of monet at her. She just got a new contract from MSU a few weeks ago worth 600,000 or so per/yr. I am majorly bummed. She had her best recruiting class by far coming in next season--now I wonder what will happen to them.

Wow, wow, wow! I can't believe. I guess even people who get contract extensions can just turn around and say, look, I got a good offer and I'm leaving.

Smart move by Duke though, getting someone who I think will be among the elite coaches very soon. And she has final four experience and is inheriting an amazing group of players.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DukeFan10 wrote:
I just think Kara will make a good coach someday. As you may recall, there wasn't much knowledge about Coach Summitt before she got the head coaching job at TENN.
[/quote]

Do you typically hire people with ZERO experience for positions? Kara hasn't even coached little league, pee wee basketball, or a church league, but you want to hire her for the head job at Duke???

DukeFan10

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you typically hire people with ZERO experience for positions?

No, but TENN did many years ago and it turned out. By the way, I did say "Kara would make a good coach someday".

CAM - you still didn't answer my question, why aren't you the next coach at Duke. You profess to know so much about the coaching, it seems a shame that you would be relegated to the sidelines with Duke not taking advantage of your vast knowledge.

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Do you typically hire people with ZERO experience for positions?

not unless it's the WNBA. ...definitely not in college ball. Wink

vanyogan

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops24/7 wrote:
OK, now I'm ticked. I've been a huge Coach P fan for 3-4 years, and I'm not even in East Lansing. (Live in State College, which means that supporting the women's team here has been problematic at best.) I was really relieved when she signed the revised contract at MSU. She has a great crew, including Alyssa DeHaan, and prospects for next year were great. MSU also just welcomed a new assistant coach, Samantha Williams, whom McCallie recruited at Auburn. If she leaves for what will presumably be about a-bazillion dollars, my respect will be seriously dampened. Exactly how much money does a person need, anyway? She had said in the original talks w/ Florida that she was really concerned about how a move might affect her kids. Did that change? Maybe things have gotten very unpleasant on campus w/ her husband's assault charge. (He's not tenured, and while I can't imagine he would lose his job, it's pretty clear he's there because SHE'S there.)

Is there any such thing as loyalty anymore? Keeping one's word? I don't even wanna THINK about what a meeting w/ her team would look like.

Poop.

Look at the big picture for WCBB. This means that the women's game is gaining in stature. When programs start bidding up salaries it's good for everybody. Especially young women wanting to get into coaching. This year's coaching bonanza should affect coaching and the game in a big way. It means more opportunity and money for assistants etc. Bigger money means more exposure for the game.

PostPosted: 04/18/07 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Half love this, half hate it.

Really liked MSU with McCallie. If Brown remains as the head coach, I will probably still like them a lot. Definitely interested to see what DeHaan is going to do in her four years.

As Duke is my favorite team and McCallie is a coach I have liked for quite a while, I am pleased with the decision.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: