RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hot Wiley-Gatewood Rumor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/17/06 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Frese officially has a mess on her hands. Who starts and who comes off the bench? Five guards have to battle for minutes at two positions next season (unless one of them is able to slide to the three).

I'm sure it's a mess a lot of other coaches wish they had! Very Happy

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/17/06 4:34 pm    ::: How is it a mess? Reply Reply with quote

Last time I checked having two ball handlers on the court at the same time wasn't a bad thing.

I assume the starting line up next year to be Toliver, Doron, Newman/Coleman, Langhorne, Perry/Harper.

When Gatewood becomes eligible then we will see if she starts right away. But Toliver can also play the two to give Doron a breather.

The only one I see losing out in all this is Marrone, but she's still a pure shooter and that's not a bad thing to have.

Doron will be done next spring and then Toliver and Gatewood can start at the same time.

Gail doesn't seem to have an issue with Harding, Foley, Smith, Waner and Waner.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
Bigorange123

PostPosted: 01/17/06 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very nice/appropriate avatar RedEqualsLuck. Thanks.

PostPosted: 01/17/06 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A. Maryland did start three guards last year.

B. You never know if someone will get injured, so depth is good.

C. Why do people call Parker CP3?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/18/06 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:

C = Candace
P = Parker
3 = Her uniform number

= CP3

styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/18/06 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
styxfan22 wrote:

C = Candace
P = Parker
3 = Her uniform number

= CP3

Thanks, ripleydc.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 01/18/06 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The cutie trifecta is 1-3-5: Spencer, Parker, Zolman.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/19/06 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
styxfan22 wrote:

C = Candace
P = Parker
3 = Her uniform number

= CP3

Thanks, ripleydc.

Oklahoma's monster-stats freshman, Courtney Paris, is also being called CP3.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/19/06 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oklahoma's monster-stats freshman, Courtney Paris, is also being called CP3.

Not really. She's referred to most as "CP" to distinguish her from Parker. "CP3" has a nice flashy ring to it, which can also be said for Parker's game.

Mathies to LA 2013
tag3

PostPosted: 01/19/06 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which CP3 is the "real" one depends on your location. Even Chris Paul of the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets, a CP3 himself, admits that in Oklahoma, Courtney Paris is "the" CP3. Here's a pic of the 2 together.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 01/19/06 5:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tag3 wrote:
Which CP3 is the "real" one depends on your location. Even Chris Paul of the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets, a CP3 himself, admits that in Oklahoma, Courtney Paris is "the" CP3. Here's a pic of the 2 together.

I LOVE Courtney Paris, she's my favorite Post player in the college game right now.

PostPosted: 01/19/06 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Nicky Anosike doesn't see that post, str8!

themoseo

PostPosted: 01/21/06 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

whoever said frese has a mess on her hands is right. gatewood is no ordinary transfer. anyone who thinks she will come off the bench happily at maryland, or split time contentedly with toliver, doron and kalika france, simply doesn't know anything about her, or her parents, or her history.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

7 guards or guard/forward players:

G Wiley-Gatewood (starter); 2008
G Doron (starter); 2007
G Toliver; 2009
G Newman; 2008
G/F Coleman (starter); 2009
G France; 2008
G Marrone; 2009

All nice players to have, but who starts and who comes off the bench next season? Newman will probably be the one who ends up back on the bench after starting this season (and doing a good job in her starting role). Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood HAS to start and must dominate time at the point to remain satisfied. Toliver is too talented to have to play behind Wiley-Gatewood, as I've been more impressed with Kristi than Sa'de. Doron and Coleman as starters are givens. France and Newman will battle for back-up minutes next season and the season afterward. Marrone will more than likely not play much at all.

This *could* work provided Sa'de is happy.

Mathies to LA 2013
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/21/06 3:01 pm    ::: I disagree themoseo Reply Reply with quote

Wiley-Gatewood didn't start at all last year and started 8 of 9 this year and still wasn't happy. So I don't think starting or not starting is going to affect her. Plus, she comes in midyear, practice is one thing, but games are a different atmosphere. Brenda's a smart coach she's not going to interupt chemistry. The team was doing well this year when Toliver was out so Brenda wasn't quick to reinsert her into the starting line up. Just because she is a star doesn't guarantee her a starting spot. Shay rode the bench for most of the game last night and she's one of our stars.

An old coach once said it's not who starts the game it's who finishes.

bballfan2005 -- The two affected the most are France and Marrone. Marrone would have probably seen extended minutes at the 1 or 2 next year, but now that will probably last until December. France is coming off back to back injury riddled seasons to her knees so who knows how effective she can be.

The question is will Toliver, Gatewood, Newman and Coleman being able to control their egos for 4 months? Once Doron is gone, things should be alleviated. Winning changes things especially if a NC is in sight,

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see how Frese manages the egos over the next couple of seasons. Lots of former McDonald's HS AAs at the guard position. They could be thinking of building stats/résumés for pro hoops (as we all know that's on Wiley-Gatewood's mind).

Mathies to LA 2013
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/21/06 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SWG has endured an unfortunate situation but I'm willing to give her a chance and hope that everything works out for her.

fan19bb

PostPosted: 01/21/06 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look what she did with Doran last night, she was not up to par, she keep her on thr bench. Think if Gatewood is looking to play her way and not Brend's way she will sit too. The way she is coaching this year and the depth she will have next year at the guard spot i think she will have no problem sitting Gatewood , or anyone who is not playinf team ball. Maryland will be very deep next year and year after that, so if every one buy's in to the team come's first ,they should be one hach of a team and maybe they get to the big dance? Any thought's on that ballfan 2005?

themoseo

PostPosted: 01/21/06 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The trouble is, there's going to be a sixth guard at Maryland that Frese needs to keep happy, by the name of Jerry Gatewood. No joke. Might as well put him on the roster, that's how much of a factor he will be.

themoseo

PostPosted: 01/21/06 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Frese benches SWG, she will leave. It's that simple.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/21/06 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She can't leave anymore. By the time she sits out another year, she would have half a season left.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fan19bb wrote:
Look what she did with Doran last night, she was not up to par, she keep her on thr bench. Think if Gatewood is looking to play her way and not Brend's way she will sit too. The way she is coaching this year and the depth she will have next year at the guard spot i think she will have no problem sitting Gatewood , or anyone who is not playinf team ball. Maryland will be very deep next year and year after that, so if every one buy's in to the team come's first ,they should be one hach of a team and maybe they get to the big dance? Any thought's on that ballfan 2005?

I think Maryland's perimeter depth is something do be envied. Most teams would love to have that much talent on the perimeter. They've got the talent to get to the Final Four, but does Brenda Frese have the right rotations?

With the players Maryland has right now, it'd be hard not to bench Wiley-Gatewood because they're talented enough without her. However, Jerry Gatewood isn't going to go for that. He pulled Sa'de out of Tennessee because she lost her starting job, a job that was hers alone to lose. Averaging 1.2 assists (and that's generous) and 0.9 assists-per-turnover isn't going to get the job done anywhere, let along Tennessee. I simply don't see how one can't average at least 8 assists per game at Tennessee (as a TRUE point guard) playing with the likes of Zolman and Parker, but I digress. Honestly, I don't think she should start at Maryland right away; rather, she should earn a starting role if she wants one. You also can't bench Toliver because (1) she's too talented and (2) she came to Maryland with the expectations of receiving that starting point guard role.

O/T: If Shay has a bad game v. Virginia Tech on Monday, I'm all for benching Doron in favor of Kristi Toliver. Newman and Coleman have been solid the past couple of games along with Toliver. That perimeter line-up should work well for Maryland.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
She can't leave anymore. By the time she sits out another year, she would have half a season left.

Hopefully she'll check her ego at the door, stay, play well, and receive her degree. If not, she's got other options. She can play professionally overseas for a season (2007-08 ) and will still be eligible for the 2008 WNBA Draft. She'll be 22 in 2007.

Mathies to LA 2013
fan19bb

PostPosted: 01/21/06 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you think for a second that any coach would listen to a parent? I think coach Frese has nothing to lose here, she has good depth, if Mr Gatewood is not happy and she goes, it only hurt's the kid, why would he think she should start on a new team and like anyone lese she must EARN that right with hard work at pratice and if it ain't broke why fix it, look's like the coach goes with what's working and right now everything seem's to be working .. For the life of me i could never understand if she gave up her college time just because she did not start,thats so selfish ,??

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/21/06 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
She can play professionally overseas for a season (2007-08 )

Nobody really wants a player without decent college experience and 2 seasons at 2 colleges wouldn't qualify as "decent". Schuye LaRue left Virginia early and tried her hand at Europe and she flopped badly. European teams want their imports to contribute immediately and I doubt SWG could do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: