RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

South Carolina vs Notre Dame - 4/05/15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
35%
 35%  [ 12 ]
Notre Dame
64%
 64%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 34

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/05/15 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

The absence of any discernable designed play on that last possession other than "get the ball Tiffany and go win the game for us" was somewhat shocking.

And what was Notre Dame's last play call other than "give it to Loyd and let her win the game"? Or did Muffet, in a moment of pure genius, tell Loyd to put up an air ball for Cable's putback?

Unbelievable

If you were paying attention you'd realize there is no similarity between having your best player take the ball directly into the paint for a short shot or a pass inside with plenty of time for an offensive rebound in the event of a miss, and having your best player dribble around 25 feet from the basket while everyone else just stood around.

Just enjoy the win.

Cable had 2 points on 1-4 with 2 rebounds in 21 minutes. That rebound (so to speak) and basket were essentially her whole contribution. There was an element of luck there, even if she was positioned in a generally good place. But in a close game, you have to hope for some good bounces.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/05/15 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The winner of this game is just the sacrificial lamb for UCONN's championship ceremony.

PostPosted: 04/06/15 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
another game where nobody should lose.

MMmmmNah. SC shoulda lost. From the Sentimental standpoint, I was rooting for Dawn's Kids. But. You CANNOTcannot get away with 40-something in FT percentages. Not at the FF, nor versus ND. And it's not like it was a particularly fluky performance from the charity stripe. No excuse.

That said, I think SC showed why they held the #1 position for the lion's share of the season: They're pretty damned good. And may well be there NEXT year.

ND played with their usual heart and discipline, and probably stands the best chance in the Final. They, too, have a bit to iron out: Fouls and 3s! But, I'm rooting for them, now. Cool

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
No seniors on ND right? At least in the starting lineup? If so it showed. Loyd's decision-making down the stretch left something to be desired, but it's a good learning experience for pressure situations.

I think her senior year will really help her polish her game. She has lots of things you can't teach in terms of handle, seeing the floor and the obvious athleticism. But she needs more strength and her game needs more polish. But in 15 months she should be pro-ready. I'm not sure if I think she is going to be a franchise WNBA player or a very good one. But there's plenty of time for her to improve on what is already a significant amount of ability. Plus that speed that we rarely get to see in a college game will be a huge asset in the pro game. She's very fast.

55 of ND's 66 points came form 3 players, and one of them was out of the game at the end. Loyd didn't make bad decisions, there were no decisions to be made late because no one else wanted to shoot.

IMO Loyd is pro-ready right now.

I wasn't talking about her shot selection. I was talking about her 3 turnovers and deflected passes and mishandles that didn't result in turnovers. She penetrated a few times and threw passes to recipients in places they could not have possibly been caught. It's something she does from time to time. But then the spacing in the WNBA will be much wider, which is tailor made for her skill level.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/06/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The winner of this game is just the sacrificial lamb for UCONN's championship ceremony.

Lord hear our prayer.

PostPosted: 04/07/15 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Loyd just said it. They knew exactly what SCar was running. Muffet totally outcoaches Staley.

McGraw outcoached Staley by trusting her players. She didn't call a timeout on the last Irish possession, preferring to keep Loyd and company in the flow. Staley let Notre Dame set up their defense by overcoaching, calling a timeout instead of letting Mitchell create while there was still some chaos.

Most people hate poetry
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/07/15 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

The absence of any discernable designed play on that last possession other than "get the ball Tiffany and go win the game for us" was somewhat shocking.

And what was Notre Dame's last play call other than "give it to Loyd and let her win the game"? Or did Muffet, in a moment of pure genius, tell Loyd to put up an air ball for Cable's putback?

Unbelievable

If you were paying attention you'd realize there is no similarity between having your best player take the ball directly into the paint for a short shot or a pass inside with plenty of time for an offensive rebound in the event of a miss, and having your best player dribble around 25 feet from the basket while everyone else just stood around.

Much of the difference is explained by the scenarios. Lloyd came down the court in transition off a missed shot while Mitchell encountered a set defense after a Time Out and sideline inbounds.

Additionally, MMChicken, ND, and Lloyd are much better than Staley, SCar, and Mitchell in that scenario.

It should be mentioned that Mitchell at least hit the backboard from 3x the distance.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Loyd just said it. They knew exactly what SCar was running. Muffet totally outcoaches Staley.

McGraw outcoached Staley by trusting her players. She didn't call a timeout on the last Irish possession, preferring to keep Loyd and company in the flow. Staley let Notre Dame set up their defense by overcoaching, calling a timeout instead of letting Mitchell create while there was still some chaos.

I can't argue with that . I didn't like the time out . Dawn has evolved in many ways as a coach , but the biggest thing she needs to overcome is being too much of a control freak . She wants to call every play .
Mitchell already had the ball , with Notre Dame in transition . Just give Tiffany the "go" sign . Notre Dame was doing a great job at keeping her away from the rim in the half-court offense anyway .
Once , we called the time-out , I was looking for the play that results in a lob pass to Coates or one of the other posts . It's a play we have run successfully out of time-outs several times this year . Whether we could have executed it in the pressure of the moment , we'll never know .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: