RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Final Four game 1: Stanford vs. UConn
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sass

PostPosted: 04/06/08 11:53 am    ::: Final Four game 1: Stanford vs. UConn Reply Reply with quote

The general feeling is that Conn will take this one, and people are already strategizing for them in the championship game.

But does the Cardinal and Wiggins have a chance to beat the Huskies?

We will see at 4 p.m. PDT, 7 p.m. EDT.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
braveniler58

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford definitely does have a chance to beat UConn just simply because of Wiggins.

I'd say UConn wins anyway.

GO UCONN Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im scared for the Cardinal...Uconn is SO fast and they can shoot with anyone.

Obviously Wiggy has to have a good game. Appel MUST stay out of foul trouble and not fall for Tina Charles' upfakes and lowpost moves.

I know Stanford has had a few games where they have score alot of points, but I dont know if they can run with Uconn. They gotta keep it under 80

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:21 pm    ::: Re: Final Four game 1: Stanford vs. UConn Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
The general feeling is that Conn will take this one, and people are already strategizing for them in the championship game.

But does the Cardinal and Wiggins have a chance to beat the Huskies?

We will see at 4 p.m. PDT, 7 p.m. EDT.

The "people" can't include Geno and his staff. They're too smart. And I doubt if it includes the players for the same reason, but if it does, they could be in trouble.

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford definitely has more than a chance to beat UConn. If you look at all the FF teams, I think Stanford (arguably) has been playing better basketball than the rest and are riding a tremendous high coming into Tampa. If the Huskies are not on their A game rest assured Tara, Candice, and company will win.

That said, I don't bet against Geno and the Huskies once they reach the Final Four. I think he will have them ready and they will win a very tough, hard fought game. I can't wait! Very Happy

- Diana Taurasi
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/06/08 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course Stanford has a chance. I'm still thinking a UConn win more likely (and wanting a UConn win, too), but it's going to be a hard-fought game: Stanford may even be in a better position emotionally, since they're not emotionally exhausted from their last game, and not likely to look past this one.

That said, if the game turns into a footrace or a shoving match, Stanford will lose. If the game turns into a grinding defense-first chess match, with as many total steals as assists, and more turnovers than either, Stanford will probably also lose, though, really, who knows? (Low-scoring games with fewer possessions have more chance involved: "unlikely" outcomes become more probable. That's why Rutgers gets upset more often than North Carolina.)

Stanford will win if

(a) both Swanier and Montgomery get into serious foul trouble with more than fifteen minutes left in the game

(b) the whole thing turns into a three-point shooting contest

(c) the game gets called either so tightly, or so unevenly, that it turns into a free-throw shooting contest.

(b) is how Stanford beat Maryland. But tonight (b) seems unlikely: Geno's teams know how to guard the three point line, even with the thin bench UConn has this year. So coach TV has to hope for (a) or (c): that is, for a game with plenty of whistles. (On the other hand, UConn has some post depth, and Stanford doesn't: if Appel gets in foul trouble early and none of UConn's players do, the game could end early.)

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 04/06/08 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One Stanford fan (can't remember who) posted after their Elite Eight win that they just had a good feeling that Stanford would win it. I had the same feeling then, and I feel it now too. Wiggins is still on her mission. I say Stanford wins a nail-biter.

RockyRacoon

PostPosted: 04/06/08 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Stanford has a really good chance of winning. Uconn couldn't get going against Rutgers until the 2nd half, and really didn't win by a lot considering they didn't pull away until the last couple of minutes.

I hope it will be a tight one. Can't wait!

Go Stanford!

PostPosted: 04/06/08 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford may have the best player on the court today. But UConn, injuries and all, has the better team IMO.

Stanford's only chance is to have a repeat of the Maryland game, where Wiggins is unstoppable AND someone relatively unknown like Hones has the game of her life. UConn is too good a defensive team for that to happen. Wiggins may get 25 or so, but she isn't getting 40 again. And that'll be the difference. UConn by 10, say 71-61.

Thrillrider08

PostPosted: 04/06/08 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I want Uconn to lose, I want Tennessee to be the ones to beat them in the Final game (once they care of LSU). Argh I don't know..... Confused

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 04/06/08 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How good is Stanford at playing from behind? Because if UConn comes out hot and Stanford falls behind early, they may expend a lot of energy getting back into the game. On the other hand, UConn is pretty good at playing a close game and pushing at the end. If Stanford had to shoot their wad to get close with say, four minutes left, they might not have enough for UConn's endgame.

On the other hand, it's difficult to see what would get UConn into serious trouble, as they have lost just once. But should have been twice, against a really hot DePaul. If Wiggins gets hot, UConn could go down.

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Supposedly, the game might be delayed because the roof is leaking.

As for who will win: Hoping the Huskies will, but Stanford has a great shot at it. Candice Wiggins is on a mission, and Kayla/JJ/Jayne are playing at a high level right now. Hope it's a good, injury-free game.

gpark33

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They must be hiding it well from the crowd. I don't see any leaks and the players are on the court stretching now. Countdown clock shows 48:10 right now.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the scene in the arena right now. UConn just came on the court to warm up. (Big cheers.) Stanford had been sitting in a circle around the Cardinal bench, some on the floor, some on the chairs, talking to each other. They got up and started shooting when UConn came on the court.

The court has big oranges on each end, running around the 3-point arc and over the end line.

I'm sitting next to a UConn fan who doesn't seem to have a sense of humor. Oh, well.

Now UConn is doing running drills. Stanford has just stopped shooting and started stretching. it seems like there are about 20 of them.

Oh, no sign of the Tree yet. Is it still banned?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see anything either.

gpark, where are you sitting?

gpark33

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

328 with my hand virtually on the ceiling. You?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

311 row A. (right now in a line for chicken, actually, right outside 317).

If you're alone, the seat next to me will be empty, so you could move closer (if more towards the end line) if you wanted.

gpark33

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you very much but there are 3 of us. Enjoy your chicken. The cheesesteak wasn't bad.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
They must be hiding it well from the crowd. I don't see any leaks and the players are on the court stretching now. Countdown clock shows 48:10 right now.

I guess they've got it cleared up, but about an hour and a half ago, they were soaking water up from the floor with paper towels. Nothing major, but as we know, any moisture on a basketball court=not good.

gpark33

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tree has arrived. The dancing is otherworldly.

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GO STANFORD!! go for 50 Wiggins! Whatever happens I hope it's a great game, but I want to see Stanford and LSU in the finals!

Fowles "I'm gonna bang for 40 mintues" my new sig

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:

Laughing

Have fun, gpark & beknighted (and anyone else at the Final Four who may be reading)!

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if any of the people near me leave, I'll let you know.

I'm sure everyone will be pleased to know that the Tree is here now.

Thrillrider08

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:

Laughing Thats hilarious!

Wish I was there. I'll enjoy my view from the couch just the same. Very Happy

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
jap

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Candice and Maya will be going mano-y-mano, er, womano-y-womano in this one? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: