RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Western Conference Players to the East
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/04/05 4:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I should add that Burse helped me win WVGM in 2003! She and Anna DeForge were money for me in July and August.

Ask Admiral about Burse...I believe he picked her quite a bit in the second half of 2003.

Yes, I remember talking lineups over email and we were debating picking among Burse, Tuvic and Margo (the only 3 real options). Burse's minutes would vary from 16 to 30, but she was always efficient. Tuvic averaged ~32mins and Margo ~28.

Burse ended up getting 24 VGMs in just 19 minutes on 8/20/03. In comparison, Slobodanka Tuvic and Margo Dydek got just 6 in 30 and 25 mins that night. Any guesses to which team Burse was playing against? Idea Arrow

Because Janell Burse averaged a near 11, 6 and 1 in ~20 mins, she seemed like a great backup for Kamila.

Sheri Sam was chosen in the expansion draft, and she was chosen not because MIN really needed her, but because she was the biggest talent available. The other options left to them were Betty Lennox or DeMya Walker. At the time, Sheri had led Miami in scoring (14.5 ppg), rebounding (4.8 rpg), steals (2.16 spg) and minutes played (33.5 mpg).

There were not enough minutes to go around for Sam and she was doomed to look bad. MIN then found a way to use her as a point-forward. Seattle needed a SF and preferably one who could make a lot of assists in addition to the standard pts and rbs. So this seemed like a good idea for Seattle.

Championships don't grow on trees. Everything has to be right. In 2004, Seattle got lucky. Not only did they play great, Detroit was faltering, LA was going through injuries, Sacramento was having chemistry problems, and Katie Smith got injured. Anne Donovan was right: "If they didn't make the trade for Sheri Sam, we don't win the Championship."

So which would you rather have? A Championship in hand or two in the bush? That's what it comes down to... Question

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 03/04/05 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

THANK YOU!!! AMEN FOR THAT!!

Bethany is Camille Cooper reincarnated!! Camille Cooper with PT. That girl's gotta go put on a tutu and leave the basketball arena for good!!!

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
When Blaze and Bethany pry their lips from each other's a$$, Bethany can join the FBC. Until then, Bethany is just Camille Cooper with playing time and an annoying entourage in my eyes. I don't blame the ballerina, I blame the jacka$$ that signed her.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/04/05 9:15 am    ::: alternate histories Reply Reply with quote

Anne Donovan was right: "If they didn't make the trade for Sheri Sam, we don't win the Championship."

So which would you rather have? A Championship in hand or two in the bush? That's what it comes down to... Question [/quote]

If Minnesota hadn't made the trade, Seattle would not have won the championship: I'll take Donovan's word for that.

But Minnesota would not have won the championship either. (Even if you think of Burse as a rock star, the Lynx would at the least have had not much depth in the post, and there would have been more team chemistry problems, Tamika W said she hated having to play center, Ohlde would have gone to Seattle, Hayden wouldn't have been a potential pick because she couldn't play until her foot healed, and we would have ended up with neither of them-- maybe with Rebekah Brunson.)

The trade was good for both teams.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/04/05 9:30 am    ::: Re: alternate histories Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Anne Donovan was right: "If they didn't make the trade for Sheri Sam, we don't win the Championship."

So which would you rather have? A Championship in hand or two in the bush? That's what it comes down to... Question

If Minnesota hadn't made the trade, Seattle would not have won the championship: I'll take Donovan's word for that.

But Minnesota would not have won the championship either. (Even if you think of Burse as a rock star, the Lynx would at the least have had not much depth in the post, and there would have been more team chemistry problems, Tamika W said she hated having to play center, Ohlde would have gone to Seattle, Hayden wouldn't have been a potential pick because she couldn't play until her foot healed, and we would have ended up with neither of them-- maybe with Rebekah Brunson.)

The trade was good for both teams.[/quote]

Good analysis!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/04/05 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sheri Sam was chosen in the expansion draft, and she was chosen not because MIN really needed her, but because she was the biggest talent available. The other options left to them were Betty Lennox or DeMya Walker. At the time, Sheri had led Miami in scoring (14.5 ppg), rebounding (4.8 rpg), steals (2.16 spg) and minutes played (33.5 mpg).

Exactly, Admiral. She was the best player available. Minnesota had already had DeMya in 1999 or 2000...and cut her. And the team wasn't going to take Betty again.

And, as it turns out, Abrosimova had some nice games when she played the 4, though sometimes Svet and Sheri did not start together.

Minnesota made the Ohlde trade for the future. Many thought the team would be a little worse off in 2004, but would be set with Ohlde and Hayden for the long haul. As it turns out, Minny still made the playoffs...quite an accomplishment. And Seattle won the title. Looks like a good deal for both teams.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 03/04/05 1:05 pm    ::: Re: alternate histories Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Correlation does not imply causation...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/04/05 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Correlation does not imply causation...

Had Nykesha made the 3 in Game #2, no one would be singing Sheri's praises.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: