RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Thank you KARA!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/29/10 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just find it amusing no one mentions how boring Stanford games are. Hell, at least UConn runs the ball up the court and plays a fast pace.

Stanford wins by almost as much, but with precision sharp halfcourt, triangle offense. That's more like watching paint dry than UConn's fast break offense.

But no, there's no backlash against Geno in this discussion, right? Wink When Tara beats the crap out of everyone it's fine and dandy.

kage

PostPosted: 03/29/10 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably because despite all us West Coasters having to see Stanford beating our teams black and blue in the Pac10, I doubt that many people have actually seen much of Stanford other than a couple games. Despite Stanford's preeminence as a major WBB power, they're still oddly underrated in an emotional manner.
ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 03/29/10 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I just find it amusing no one mentions how boring Stanford games are. Hell, at least UConn runs the ball up the court and plays a fast pace.

Stanford wins by almost as much, but with precision sharp halfcourt, triangle offense. That's more like watching paint dry than UConn's fast break offense.

But no, there's no backlash against Geno in this discussion, right? Wink When Tara beats the crap out of everyone it's fine and dandy.

I found Saturday's UGA/STanford game exteremly PAINFUL to watch, so much so I turned it off in disgust at halftime. Laughing

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/29/10 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I found Saturday's UGA/STanford game exteremly PAINFUL to watch, so much so I turned it off in disgust at halftime. Laughing

See? That's what I'm talking about!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/29/10 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love watching UConn play. Yeah, that's a biased comment, but they are amazing to watch. I want to be a coach myself, so I study the Huskies, I try to figure out what makes them so damn good. I try to analyze their defensive positions, their defensive presence, etc.

They break down whoever they play and shove the basketball down their throats. And I love every minute of it. I'm completely amazed at how focused the team remains, and I admire Geno for keeping them in track.

If you want to become a coach, watch the Huskies play. That's how teams are supposed to play.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Um, I think most people were complaining about the Stanford/UGA game. Worst Sweet 16 game that I can remember.

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/29/10 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Um, I think most people were complaining about the Stanford/UGA game. Worst Sweet 16 game that I can remember.

Tongue was firmly in cheek. Ladydawgs got that...

FS02

PostPosted: 03/29/10 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think comparing this streak to UCLA's men is valid. UCLA won 15 games during the streak by a single digit margin. So there was definitely some drama.

I'd say most of the Huskies games have been drama-free this year excepting the Stanford and Oklahoma games.

It is boring for us non-UConn fans to see one intimidated opponent after another get crushed (you just have to take our word for it), but I do believe they're taking the game to another level and it will be good for everyone in the long run.

Here's what one UCLA player had to say about it:

Quote:
A Bruin on the Huskies: "I hope they break our record. I think that streaks like these, it's is very good for a sport. Each time it happens, it gets analyzed deeply as to why it's happening. And it always comes down to leadership because the success is over a period of years, which means the same players aren't there but the same coach is there. So it actually helps us to see the real issue leadership and teaching ability. We obviously had that with Coach Wooden, who was an incredible teacher, a classroom teacher who just transferred what he did in the classroom to the court. I think with [ UConn], we're seeing leadership and great coaching." Swen Nater, a UCLA reserve 1971-72 and 1972-73.

source: http://www.dailypress.com/news/national/hc-ucla-streak-0309mar09,0,5897217.story

PostPosted: 03/29/10 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Because at least there's some drama with Stanford. No one knows for sure if the Cardinal is going to win, but everytime UConn steps on the court against someone other than Stanford, you're 99% sure that UConn will win by at least 35.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You want painful and boring? Try watching a Purdue game this year.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/29/10 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
A Bruin on the Huskies: "I hope they break our record. I think that streaks like these, it's is very good for a sport. Each time it happens, it gets analyzed deeply as to why it's happening. And it always comes down to leadership because the success is over a period of years, which means the same players aren't there but the same coach is there. So it actually helps us to see the real issue leadership and teaching ability. We obviously had that with Coach Wooden, who was an incredible teacher, a classroom teacher who just transferred what he did in the classroom to the court. I think with [ UConn], we're seeing leadership and great coaching." Swen Nater, a UCLA reserve 1971-72 and 1972-73.

Once again, you can't compare the men's game to the women's game.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I was wondering when someone would bring that up. Yes, Stanford completely dominates the Pac 10, and I believe this causes some loss of fan interest there too. But for the same reasoning I use with UConn, I think it will be good for the Pac 10 in the long run. Someone has to set the bar.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Rolling Eyes You just love taking shots at me, don't you?

Some things never change, I guess.

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/29/10 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Rolling Eyes You just love taking shots at me, don't you?

Some things never change, I guess.

Me? I'm sorry I'm missing something...I didnt' think I took any shots at you, seriously.

I apologize if you think that.

I was joking about all the people and their UConn is boring, and then I just commented that ladydawgs gets my sense of humor. I didn't think I said anything bad or obnoxious to you bball, and again, if I did, it was not intentional and I apologize.

hooper1

PostPosted: 03/29/10 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Guess you didn't see the Stanford-Xavier game tonight!!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/30/10 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got you, dts. I was just having a moment, 'tis all. Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: