RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

xavier v gonzaga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridgehere

PostPosted: 03/27/10 10:48 pm    ::: xavier v gonzaga Reply Reply with quote

This is the game I have been waiting for as far as today's games. Looks like it could be good.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/10 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game is starting way too late at night. I wish Stanford had gone last, so I could be in bed already.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Xavier looks like they can score inside all day against the Zags, but Vandersloot looks like she's much more in control than last game.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Xavier is dictating tempo so far. They've got the game slowed way down.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shives sure can hit the 3!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/27/10 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This game is starting way too late at night. I wish Stanford had gone last, so I could be in bed already.

Me too.

I think it's a litle late for the refs and announcers as well.

That was a big mixtake by the refs on that free throw. The woman lined up on the lane line when there was only one free throw to be taken. She should have been on the baseline and none of them noticed.

I think that the only one that knew it was #53 for X. She was talking to the ref and possibly asking why the hell she was there.

The announcers should have known that they went to the arrow not because two players went in the lane. It was becasue there wasn't another free throw to be taken and they had to do something to fix their mistake.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/27/10 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game started with a bang but first half ended with a whimper, with neither team shooting well for the last few minutes.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gonzaga has so many shooters, that's what's scary if you're Xavier, one of them will get hot. On the other hand... maybe Xavier can take advantage of the size mismatch in the second half.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-ref, do you know Bryan Enterline at all? He's from Ft. Wayne, isn't he? I swear, sometimes I think he's good, and thennn...???

mekanos

PostPosted: 03/27/10 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can Xavier keep up with the Zags pace for 20 more minutes ...

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/27/10 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-ref, do you know Bryan Enterline at all? He's from Ft. Wayne, isn't he? I swear, sometimes I think he's good, and thennn...???

No, I don't know him.

All I know about him (at least think I know) is that he is married to official Cameron Inouye, he has a brother and nephew that officiate and a niece that played at IU, and that's he's from Ft. Wayne, IN.

That's really more than I care to know about him. Wink

I think that it's his attirude, his presence on court that rubs people the wrong way. It's hard to look past that and strictly judge him on his calls and decisions. He just seems like a smart ass. And it will be hard for me to change my opinion.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 03/27/10 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
FS02

PostPosted: 03/27/10 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Vandersloot is being more cautious than usual, and that's both good and bad... probably more bad.

PostPosted: 03/27/10 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zags run some pretty inbounds plays.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford has to be favored by at least 30 points against either of these teams.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am going out on a limb here and predicting an Xavier win. 1:26 left Xavier 71-56

but then i am a risk taker

goldy

PostPosted: 03/28/10 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

74-56 final.

Nice game by Ta'Shia Phillips.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/28/10 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hate to say I told you so, but haven't I been saying all year Xavier is an elite eight team?

They won't be able to play with Stanford, but they were definitely one of the top teams in the country.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/28/10 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, congrats to the zags who had a great year. i hope that with the zags tv exposure coach graves can get a couple of 'bigs' to the school. i'm looking forward to next year. they have made a nice progression in their ncaa appearances. if graves can get a couple bigger bodies in the middle, the zags would be much move competitive on the boards with the likes of xavier. but regardless, way to go, zags!!! hold your heads up, you did yourselves proud.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was at Arco Arena last night, watching both (Stanford/Georgia and Xavier/Gonzaga) games.

Just some impressions on the second game...

I don't know very much about either team, except that I did catch the closing minutes of the Gonzaga's win over Texas A&M a few days before. I initially thought the excitement of being at their very first Elite Eight game should have been enough to lead the team to another win, but it was not to be.

Dang, the size of the Xaiver players are wayyy bigger than the Zaga ones.

Game was pretty close at halftime, with most of the crowd rooting for 'Zaga. I guess being a West Coast team has it easier to pull in fans at Arco.

Finally, if Xavier is called The Muskateers, why did I see their mascot as a thingamajig that looked like a blue-colored version of the "Tickle Me Elmo" doll? Shouldn't their mascot look like an actual muskateer? Or was that one doing another sporting event?

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/28/10 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Finally, if Xavier is called The Muskateers, why did I see their mascot as a thingamajig that looked like a blue-colored version of the "Tickle Me Elmo" doll? Shouldn't their mascot look like an actual muskateer? Or was that one doing another sporting event?

didn't you love spike the bulldog, gonzaga's mascot? he is a cutie; love the way he interacts with the dance troop and fans.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

The mascot that was at the game is the Blue Blob -- it is actually quite popular at X. I have a Blue Blob bobble head. Very Happy The Musketeer was assigned to the men's Sweet 16 game in Salt Lake City.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: