RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wade Trophy Finalists Announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stats47

PostPosted: 03/24/10 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They listed Kelsey Griffin as a guard..

As a Gonzaga fan, I'm glad to see Courtney get some recognition, but in all honesty, there is NO way she is a Wade Trophy finalist caliber player yet.

Appel, Charles, Moore, Ogwumike, Griffin. Those five are the only true contenders. But it's clear that Charles has run away with it.

PostPosted: 03/24/10 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CRASH wrote:
cuz she plays in the SEC
her name isn't Parker or Holdsclaw

and she does play at Kentucky (they get zero love)

These clowns had no trouble awarding DeWanna Bonner last year when she was named SEC POY.

see hi-lighted

PostPosted: 03/24/10 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
see hi-lighted

Still CRASH, it's not as though Kentucky hasn't had good players before, and the WBCA voters know this. Why couldn't they scratch Prahollerattherefs off the list and put Dunlap? Are they this stupid?

Mathies to LA 2013
24duzitall

PostPosted: 03/24/10 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CRASH wrote:
see hi-lighted

Still CRASH, it's not as though Kentucky hasn't had good players before, and the WBCA voters know this. Why couldn't they scratch Prahollerattherefs off the list and put Dunlap? Are they this stupid?

apparently, they are.

PostPosted: 03/24/10 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Who is Samantha Prahalis and Courtney Vandersloot WTF at them getting in over Hightower and Dunlap out of the SEC

Uh. I devoutly hope this is a function of you being in SEC country and being an SEC fan, not complete ignorance.

PostPosted: 03/24/10 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
icey23 wrote:
Who is Samantha Prahalis and Courtney Vandersloot WTF at them getting in over Hightower and Dunlap out of the SEC

Uh. I devoutly hope this is a function of you being in SEC country and being an SEC fan, not complete ignorance.

Really I never heard of them Exclamation

PostPosted: 03/24/10 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
icey23 wrote:

Really I never heard of them Exclamation

Samantha Prahalis is the starting point guard for nationally ranked Ohio State. Courtney Vandersloot leads the nation in assists at 9.3 per game, and her team is in the Sweet Sixteen.

PostPosted: 03/25/10 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leave Icy alone.. (being a LLL fan aside) He's a good man to have around.
While I had heard of them I had not seen Sam "the Paxil queen" Prahalis play but twice in the last two years, and until this tournament hadn't seen Vandersloot at all.

Thats not a knock on their play (except for SP's meltdowns) its availability of seeing them play ... which isn't that great. Wink

PostPosted: 03/25/10 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
While I had heard of them I had not seen Sam "the Paxil queen" Prahalis play but twice in the last two years, and until this tournament hadn't seen Vandersloot at all.

Thats not a knock on their play (except for SP's meltdowns) its availability of seeing them play ... which isn't that great. Wink

Exactly. Those two aren't exactly household names. Now, had icey asked who are Maya Moore and Tina Charles... Laughing

Mathies to LA 2013
icey23

PostPosted: 03/25/10 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:

How can I know about these people when all heard about this year was UCANT!!

PostPosted: 03/25/10 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CRASH wrote:

Exactly. Those two aren't exactly household names. Now, had icey asked who are Maya Moore and Tina Charles... Laughing

and Tip Hayes I know her we went at in on twitter all fun tho

PostPosted: 03/25/10 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Point is, PGs who have carte blanche in college tend to be the overhyped jerks with the biggest numbers, and there's no denying that Latta and DNP-CD were two of the biggest jerks of their time. Now, Slammy Prabawlis has taken the baton.

+1

(Just glad this one isn't in the ACC, we've had MORE than our share of these twerps)

~rAf
JumpMan23

PostPosted: 03/25/10 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's why Lacey has the best numbers of any point this season, right?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/25/10 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JumpMan23 wrote:
That's why Lacey has the best numbers of any point this season, right?

Lacey is as much a PG as Jon Scheyer is, and Jon is a SG.

It's refreshing, though, that she isn't an asshole like DNP-CD.

Mathies to LA 2013
JumpMan23

PostPosted: 03/26/10 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My point was that point guards who put up great numbers do so because they're great players. If having carte blanche allows a point guard to put up great numbers, then Riley would be the runaway choice for NPOY.

Ironically, the player that most fits the profile of being a jerk and having carte blanche is Riley. I guess she was too busy ball-hogging when the baton exchange was happening.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/26/10 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JumpMan23 wrote:
My point was that point guards who put up great numbers do so because they're great players. If having carte blanche allows a point guard to put up great numbers, then Riley would be the runaway choice for NPOY.

Oh I'm sorry, but who's the All-American that Riley feeds off of?

Latta had Larkins.

DNP-CD had Langhorne and Coleman.

Prabawlis has Lavender.

Riley has ?

So let me modify what I said earlier. Point is, PGs who have carte blanche in college tend to be the overhyped jerks with the biggest numbers WHO FEED OFF THEIR ALL-AMERICAN TEAMMATES, and there's no denying that Latta and DNP-CD were two of the biggest jerks of their time. Now, Slammy Prabawlis has taken the baton.

Mathies to LA 2013
CRASH

PostPosted: 03/26/10 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CRASH wrote:
see hi-lighted

in a word.... Wink

in the womens game, I've noticed,
If you don't get hyped-you don't get the awards.

Sammy's fit throwing and lack of hygiene aside, she is a dame good point guard. The powers that be are looking hard at the Big 10 for someone to hype, Foster's team (for what ever reason-I don't get it) is the team the go to EVERY year. Lets go back a few years... was Jessica Davenport REALLY that great? I never thought so. With her size she should have pulled down those numbers! If she had any speed or at least a second gear she could have had numbers no one would have been able to touch. But she didn't and C. Paris blew by her like she was standing still. None of this stopped The powers that be from hyping the hell outa her! To the point that a certain GM thought it was a good idea to trade one of the best in the league for this glacier look-a-like. Rolling Eyes

See what I'm getting at?
It's all about the HYPE

PostPosted: 03/26/10 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel ya, CRASH. I really do. Hype does more harm than good.

Mathies to LA 2013
CRASH

PostPosted: 03/26/10 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I feel ya, CRASH. I really do. Hype does more harm than good.

Dan Hughes might not agree with that. Wink

Dunlap deserved to be there.
Hindsight being 20-20, no one disagrees.
BUT... The HYPE continues, and will continue until the WBCA gets it through their heads that the women's game has progressed past the point where the only players to talk about are the ones THEY talk about - sometimes at nauseum!

SEC POY ≠ NPOY
boggles the mind.

PostPosted: 03/26/10 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

im not an OSU fan or a SP fan, but cmon.... she averaged 16 and 8apg. and she shot pretty well from field, 3 and FT.

go back months and i said OSU is not a top 10 team, but they were top 10 most of year and if u average those #s on a top 10 team you will be considered a wade trophy finalist.

jantel and sammy are good players, they just have NO ONE on their team to compliment/help them.

CRASH

PostPosted: 03/26/10 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
im not an OSU fan or a SP fan, but cmon.... she averaged 16 and 8apg. and she shot pretty well from field, 3 and FT.

go back months and i said OSU is not a top 10 team, but they were top 10 most of year and if u average those #s on a top 10 team you will be considered a wade trophy finalist.

jantel and sammy are good players, they just have NO ONE on their team to compliment/help them.

It's not sammy's game that gives people pause.
Her numbers speak for themselves!
The problem with Sammy is her attitude, her mouth and the lack of a shower!

Dunlap is the SEC POY!
So when you add together everything the Wade winner is supposed to be,
Sammy Fit Thrower just doesn't hit the same level as Dunlap.

See the difference?

PostPosted: 03/26/10 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

Ever heard of Tayler Hill?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/27/10 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

The problem is not her being on the list due to those numbers. The problem is her being on the list AHEAD of the SEC POY. If you were the POY of a major conference like the SEC (that has four teams in the Sweet 16), you'd think you'd have a shot at being a candidate for NPOY, too.

Praholleratus had a great season, but (1) she played with the Big Ten POY and (2) STILL did not get to the Sweet 16. Not only was Dunlap the SEC POY, she also carried her team to the Sweet 16. In my mind, that's good enough to put her in ahead of a sophomore who just had good stats.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: