RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

San Diego State / Texas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/22/10 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was the first upset I picked out when the brackets were filled. Texas just doesn't have it and they play too much out of control or dribble the covering from ball. Their defense is fair overall but the offense has little punch.

Arriaran's 5 years were disappointing, Raven's 4 years were not as expected and Ernesia Williams played as best as she could. Kristen Nash is coming back next year but she's limited in skills and ability at this level.

Recruiting overall has been disappointing with the really good players either going out of state or joining other Texas teams. We were lucky to capture Gayle and Reed although some of the lesser named players have improved considerably, i.e., Fontenette.

Refusing to take the Paris twins as a package thus creating the option for them go to Oklahoma set Texas back 6 years in lost big name play, notoriety, publicity, winning and interest associated with a good team and popularity. Texas has just started to dig their way out of that era and stubborn leadership. A very dear cost to pay for Administration denying the obvious needed coaching change.

Don't see an ending to these doldrums next year either......

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/22/10 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
A very dear cost to pay for Administration denying the obvious needed coaching change.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

What choice did they have? Conradt had been there forever. She was one of the sport's, and the school's, icons. It's very hard, if not impossible, to run somebody like that off.

As pilight and I noted on another thread, Virginia hasn't been past the second round of the tournament in 10 years or past the Sweet 16 in 14 years. Yet Debbie Ryan has lifetime job security. Same with Andy Landers at Georgia, who hasn't been past the Sweet 16 since 2004 or to a Final Four since 1999. And unlike those two, Conradt has won a national title.

Huskie

PostPosted: 03/22/10 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
This was the first upset I picked out when the brackets were filled. Texas just doesn't have it and they play too much out of control or dribble the covering from ball. Their defense is fair overall but the offense has little punch.............

Recruiting overall has been disappointing with the really good players either going out of state or joining other Texas teams. We were lucky to capture Gayle and Reed although some of the lesser named players have improved considerably, i.e., Fontenette. .....................

Unfortunately, so much of this sounds so familiar.......

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/22/10 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish I had done a bracket. People kept talking about a Duke/Texas matchup and I thought "they won't even get past the Aztecs" who had beaten Texas in San Diego last year.

In the preseason, I called SDSU a Sweet 16-caliber team. I think Paris Johnson and Jessica Bradley can rebound with West Virginia and the SDSU backcourt is older and more athletic.

Good matchup for Beth Burns' squad, but WVU plays great defense. Should be a good one!

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/22/10 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I looked hard at this matchup and went back and forth. Then I saw it was on Texas' home court and couldn't imagine they would lose a first round game on their own court. Wrong!

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 03/22/10 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me after seeing them much this year, they lack the athleticism, basketball smarts, and something extra that a team needs to win. I thought they would win wasn't surprised when they loss but would never have imagined they would by so horribly. Coach G can't make ALL those layups that they missed for them!!

On the other side does anyone think that J (can't remember how to sp) Morris has shot at being drafted? I thought she had a great game.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/22/10 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
To me after seeing them much this year, they lack the athleticism, basketball smarts, and something extra that a team needs to win. I thought they would win wasn't surprised when they loss but would never have imagined they would by so horribly. Coach G can't make ALL those layups that they missed for them!!

On the other side does anyone think that J (can't remember how to sp) Morris has shot at being drafted? I thought she had a great game.

Without a doubt. Jene Morris seems to have all the skills and athleticism to play at the next level. I'd like to see her get picked up by SASS or NY personally, but I don't think SASS will take her @ 5 and I don't think she'll be around for NY @ 13........

JMO

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 03/22/10 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the Austin-American Statesman:

Quote:
While Goestenkors did not recruit any of the outgoing seniors — Earnesia Williams is the other — she had them for three seasons with only one tourney win to show for it.

The nucleus must be better next year, and the results have to improve. These are the expectations when you come to Austin with a $1 million price tag and a résumé that includes four Final Four appearances.

When Conradt retired, I wrote that Goestenkors would be the ideal replacement. From that column: "My choice would be Goestenkors. She will probably lead the 30-1 Blue Devils to the school's first women's national title in the next three weeks and could command top dollar if she decides to bail."

Gail got her money but the fan base is still waiting on this team to play in some real money games — i.e., the second week of the NCAAs

http://m.statesman.com/statesman/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=wECvgBGd&full=true#display

The discontent wtih Coach G coming thru in the full column squares with what a friend who lives in Austin and is a bball fan was telling me a couple of weeks ago. Real disappointment in the fact that Coach G isn't doing as well as they'd hoped in recruiting.

I'd sure like to see her succeed there.

FS02

PostPosted: 03/22/10 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
cherrystreet wrote:

Without a doubt. Jene Morris seems to have all the skills and athleticism to play at the next level. I'd like to see her get picked up by SASS or NY personally, but I don't think SASS will take her @ 5 and I don't think she'll be around for NY @ 13........

JMO

I'm glad Jene Morris is finally getting some props, I like her game a lot. But if recent history is any guide, WNBA teams have not done a good job finding diamonds in the rough (outside of the majors). It's just safer to wait until the second round it seems like... Blaze could have a chance here.

PostPosted: 03/22/10 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
cherrystreet wrote:

JMO

I'm glad Jene Morris is finally getting some props, I like her game a lot. But if recent history is any guide, WNBA teams have not done a good job finding diamonds in the rough (outside of the majors). It's just safer to wait until the second round it seems like... Blaze could have a chance here.

Good point........ Smile

CB

PostPosted: 03/22/10 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Made the mistake of driving 2.5 hours to see this game.

Texas. Did come out in the 2nd half and play better with a little more composure. Just a little more effort, focus and hustle to get over the last bit of that hump on several runs and they might have turned it around. San Diego didn't play as hot the 2nd half and Texas' defense improved.

But, yes they seemed like too much one-on-one team which surprises me for Coach G. Also, no 3 point shooter that I could tell.

Texas basically seemed like a team missing their star.

Reed was the only bright spot for Texas, the only player to show up imo.

San Diego. Looked crisp and the better team right off the bat. That 1 girl was so hot shooting, killing our crowd noise often. Laughing They cooled off in 2nd half some but Texas couldn't capitalize.

I hardly ever leave a game early but left with about 5 minutes left, super disappointed in the lack of passion.

I think it is early to rag on the coach yet and I still have high hopes and glad she is Texas' coach.

PostPosted: 03/23/10 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It just seems right now that Texas isn't getting the players they need to compete. Gail does have to do a better job with that. But after Raven fell apart I pretty much knew the game was over. What are their chances for next season and they had better not flame out in the first round? I can't see them being better than OKU, BU, TAMU, Iowa State, Neb.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/23/10 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not surprised Texas underperformed again this year in their first round game. Arriaran and Raven weren't getting the job done under G, and with Arriaran panting and heaving you can clearly see this was not an elite back court poised for a deep NCAA run. I think the younger guards show some promise, and with recruits, it might get better, but the eyes are on G to get some teams to the next level, especially with her salary.

I just hate seeing teams not compete in March, and that makes two consecutive years Texas is not competitive in March.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/10 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
I just hate seeing teams not compete in March, and that makes two consecutive years Texas is not competitive in March.

It's more like six straight years. Texas was never going to be an immediate turnaround project. Conradt had run the program into the dirt, and it's going to take some time for Goestenkors to revive it.

PostPosted: 03/23/10 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And as I mentioned in another thread, Duke is still playing ...

People may not like McCallie, but she gets the job done.

PostPosted: 03/23/10 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

McCallie with Goestenkors recruits is doing better than Goestenkors with Conradt recruits. No shock there. When McCallie has seven straight 30 win seasons and four final fours, or at least comes close, then we can seriously discuss who's a better coach.

PostPosted: 03/23/10 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

McCallie with Goestenkors recruits is doing better than Goestenkors with Conradt recruits. No shock there. When McCallie has seven straight 30 win seasons and four final fours, or at least comes close, then we can seriously discuss who's a better coach.

Agreeing with pilight on this one. Way too early to say that McCallie gets the job done vs. what G did.

Duke made very Sweet 16 (at least) from 1998 to 2007 - 11 straight years under Gail, which is incredibly impressive considering where the program was before 1992 when she got there as a young assistant from Purdue. The Duke women's program is what is today because of Gail.

Again, the next few seasons will be very telling for McCallie with all the burger kids coming into Durham.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: