RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Open Practices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/16/10 11:16 am    ::: Open Practices Reply Reply with quote

Anybody ever go to them?

Was it worth the time?

gopher5

PostPosted: 03/16/10 11:38 am    ::: Re: Open Practices Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Anybody ever go to them?

Was it worth the time?

I have gone and enjoyed them. It was interesting to compare the different teams participating.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/16/10 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went in St. Louis. Depends on the teams. Stanford was very SRS BZNS. UConn and Louisville were a little looser. Oklahoma ran some interesting offensive drills.

PostPosted: 03/16/10 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope to make it to the ones in Norman. OU is the only team I have seen play. It will be interesting to see the players before the games start.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/10 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I was able to make it to ND today for the open practices. These should be referred to as the 'green games' since three of the teams were wearing green practice jerseys.

Wisconsin and Vermont were very loose and laughing.

ND and Cleveland St. were more serious.

My butt was geting tired about halfway through CSU's time so I didn't stay.

Brooke Wisebrod was there. All four coaches and a couple of ND players were over talking to her at different times.

I'm guessing that it was her broadcast partner that was with her, but I didn't recognize him.

Just as I was leaving a bunch of people were coming through the doors. I'm guessing that it was someone's fan bus judging by the number of people.

Thanks for the info about going. I'm glad that I went.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/20/10 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been to two full sessions of open practices, and I've enjoyed them, but then again, I'm a high school coach so I'm looking to steal drills and learn something I can apply to my team (aside from the fact I'm not the only one who occasionally has my kids practice halfcourt shots), and I'm media, so I have my laptop and can get some work done when the pace slows down.

Kim Mulkey's session was by far the most productive I've seen, but that doesn't really mean that much at this point in the season. In late March, a fun, easy practice may do more good than a focused, intense one.

PostPosted: 03/21/10 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back in 1992, then USC-coach Marianne Stanley tried to have me ejected from an open practice. USC was in Seattle for regionals; I took time off to see all the teams. There were few fans at Hec Ed. When USC came on the floor, Stanley looked around, spotted me (I wore a University of Washington sweatshirt), and grabbed a tournament volunteer. Stanley glared, pointed at me, said something about "an assistant coach" (me?) and waved to an exit. The volunteer refused to send me away. She may know her Xs and Os, but Marianne Stanley doesn't know PR.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/21/10 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I went in St. Louis. Depends on the teams. Stanford was very SRS BZNS. UConn and Louisville were a little looser. Oklahoma ran some interesting offensive drills.

to the point that they asked their band not to perform...while Uconn and Louisville were just mocking the whole thing and doing a clinic for the people in attendance...and then there was Jeff Walz's lifting up players so they can dunk...that was interesting Razz

PostPosted: 03/21/10 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Kim Mulkey's session was by far the most productive I've seen, but that doesn't really mean that much at this point in the season. In late March, a fun, easy practice may do more good than a focused, intense one.

an acquaintance of mine went to the seattle sub-region open practices friday. he said all the coaches except sylvia and her assistant were calm while running drills. he said they were screaming at the team, telling them they were too slow, run faster, etc., even to the point of telling them they were pathetic. yowzah! we see how good that strategy turned out. Smile

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: