RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WBI Tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:43 pm    ::: WBI Tournament Reply Reply with quote

Bids are trickling in for the inaugural WBI. So far Louisville, Washington and Appalachian St have been named. Strange that they wouldn't make a full field announcement, but these teams have released stories on their acceptance

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cuz they're so fly by night it's basically anyone wanna play a postseason game, ok please, just join our tourney just to do so...to be fair their Men's counterpart the CBI does the same thing...it's just something to do really.

PostPosted: 03/15/10 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
cuz they're so fly by night it's basically anyone wanna play a postseason game, ok please, just join our tourney just to do so...to be fair their Men's counterpart the CBI does the same thing...it's just something to do really.

Sorry, but how can you say that about a tournament has Texas A&M as one of its top seeds hosting a first round game.

Oh... that's Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

icey23

PostPosted: 03/15/10 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

werid

PostPosted: 03/15/10 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what's the history of the WBI? So now we have the NCAAs, the WNIT, and the WBI? (in order of quality of teams?)

goldy

PostPosted: 03/15/10 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Games confirmed:

Portland @ Washington - Wednesday 3/17

Cal State-Bakersfield @ Texas A&M-Corpus Christi - Wednesday 3/17

Bretter

PostPosted: 03/15/10 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does this tournament even have a website? A quick google search turned up nothing.. But I found the CBI, which I didn't even know existed until about 5 minutes ago Very Happy

xzchief

PostPosted: 03/15/10 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Men:

NCAA-65
NIT-32
CBI-16
CIT-16

Total-129 teams in postseason

Women:

NCAA-64
NIT-64

Total-128 teams in postseason

How many more teams does the new WBI need?

goldy

PostPosted: 03/15/10 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bretter wrote:
Does this tournament even have a website? A quick google search turned up nothing.. But I found the CBI, which I didn't even know existed until about 5 minutes ago Very Happy

Laughing i just found it thanks to Appalachian State's website

http://www.womensbasketballinvitational.com/

It's 16 teams.

Bretter

PostPosted: 03/15/10 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xzchief wrote:
Men:

NCAA-65
NIT-32
CBI-16
CIT-16

Total-129 teams in postseason

where are these tournaments coming from?! Shocked

(And thanks for the site, goldy!!)

toad455

PostPosted: 03/16/10 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

do they really expect people to show up for these games??? No one shows up for the WNIT games, so what's the point .

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PRballer

PostPosted: 03/16/10 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
do they really expect people to show up for these games??? No one shows up for the WNIT games, so what's the point .

Check your facts, schools set attendance records during the WNIT.

meliflaw

PostPosted: 03/16/10 1:42 pm    ::: My, my--some startling comments here Reply Reply with quote

"Fly by night." "These games." "No one shows up for the WNIT games."

My family and I will bloody well show up, and so will many other Pac-10 fans.

I thought that Rebkell was supposed to be a site for fans of the women's game, but I feel like I'm reading some of the snarky comments that regularly show up on newspaper websites when WBB is mentioned.

The WNIT and WBI may not feature elite talent, but they're another opportunity for young women to showcase and improve the skills they do possess--and this strikes me as a reason to encourage rather than dismiss them. (More of that naive West Coast attitude, I guess.)

PostPosted: 03/16/10 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Screw all the naysayers. It's a venue for the women to show their skills. Nebraska was in the WNIT last year. So what does that tell ya.

PostPosted: 03/18/10 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas A&M-CC vs. Washington
College of Charleston vs. Bradley

March 20/21

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/18/10 6:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the WNIT is legit and I never made any remarks about it i do think that like the men, you shouldn't be allowed to refuse a bid (the Men's NIT is NCAA run that's why it's like that for the men).

The WBI i made the same comments I made about the CI and CBI in the Men, the CBI by their operator's own admission is simply to give the teams a chance to make some extra money and have some fun rather than sit and cry that they missed the postseason. In terms of any mojo toward the season it's no different than a preseason tourney, nice but could mean anything from being undefeated to dropping the rest of the table.

Ditto the WBI...this is why I said what I said, its a preseason tourney that takes place after the season.

DO NOT go out there and compare posters here to newspaper trolls.

This is NOT what it's about. It's NOT about more games and chances to have women showcase their skills. In fact if LIU or Columbia were in the WBI and had a game I'd likely go.

But this is about the WBI not being needed because it has no relevance except for something for the kids that has a website that does little more than beg teams to join, and that the WBI should not be given the same esteem as the WNIT...that's IT. That's hardly being a newspaper troll...that's being real. Unless you're an ineligible expansion team, you're just playing to be playing. nothing wrong about it but don't pretend it's anything more than that.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: