RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Marnie Dacko out as women’s basketball coach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 03/09/10 11:37 am    ::: Marnie Dacko out as women’s basketball coach Reply Reply with quote

After eight years, Marnie Dacko is out as the coach of UMass.

http://dailycollegian.com/2010/03/08/breaking-news-marnie-dacko-out-as-womens-basketball-coach/

Quote:
Dacko was hired in 2002 to be the head coach for the Minutewomen and has since posted a 98-135 (.421) record. In 2009-10, Dacko led UMass to an 11-19 over mark and a 5-9 record in the Atlantic 10, good for ninth place in the conference standings.

According to the article, Dacko and the players were shocked by this news. But considering her coaching record, I'm not suprised.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/09/10 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously, 98-135 over her career there and 11-19/5-9 this year and they're shocked? And it's not like this was a downward blip after a couple of good seasons - they were 12-18/5-9 in 2009 and 13-17/5-9 in 2008.

Maybe they figured that she was safe because the administration never cared before.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/09/10 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know Cardoza is doing great at Temple, but I felt like someone like her or Jamelle Elliott could restore UMass women's basketball.

[Joannie O'Brien won there in the 90s. She had a strong pedigree from her days as top assistant at Auburn, but it was highly publicized that she was verbally abusive and her teams stopped competing for her.]

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/09/10 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like that this season a lot of schools are getting rid of long-tenured coaches with a boatload of losses. If you’re going to have losing seasons, have them because you’re having an off year or everyone else is legitimately better than you are, not because you don’t give a shit about the program. (Ahem, Seton Hall.)

PostPosted: 03/09/10 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dacko got a 2-year extension back in 2008. She probably assumed that she would be renewed because, as Beknighted suggested, that the administration and/or Athletic Director didn't care about the women's b-ball program. So, perhaps that is why the players and Dacko herself was suprised, despite her losing record.

If she was fired with a contract still in place, that would've cost UMass money for a buy-out. So, I suppose the school just waited until Dacko's contract had expired, and then dropped the boom on her, via a press release.

There's another in-depth discussion about this on the UMass women's board, right here:
http://umasshoops.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=11132

Not that I'm a big fan of UMass, but I'm wondering who is available that could take her place?

colt13

PostPosted: 03/09/10 1:48 pm    ::: Change Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
I know Cardoza is doing great at Temple, but I felt like someone like her or Jamelle Elliott could restore UMass women's basketball.

[Joannie O'Brien won there in the 90s. She had a strong pedigree from her days as top assistant at Auburn, but it was highly publicized that she was verbally abusive and her teams stopped competing for her.]

I have always gone by the theory that a losing program should find the best regional coach in their area. Rizzotti would fit, but there isn't any reason to leave Hartford unless it is for one of the BCS conferences.

Regarding knowledge of the A-10, I wonder if Xavier's coaching staff gets raided if they reach the Elite 8.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/09/10 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Greenberg would want to jump from BU. I don’t know that she’s done a great job there, but she’s been decent, and she might want to get out from between Hartford and Vermont.

PostPosted: 03/09/10 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's absolutely no rational reason for Rizotti to leave Hartford for UMass.
The only reason for her to take an interview is if UMass is talking a lot more money and a real budget for that program.

PostPosted: 03/09/10 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I wonder if Greenberg would want to jump from BU. I don’t know that she’s done a great job there, but she’s been decent, and she might want to get out from between Hartford and Vermont.

It wouldn't be that much of a step up, at least not now.

And Queenie, I don't think Greenberg has been that great. All she's done is keep the program where Margaret McKeon left it, and not take it any higher. In fact, if anything, the program has taken a step back under her because McKeon at least won one conference tournament title. Greenberg is 0-4 in conference tourney finals and last year lost one that her team had absolutely no business losing. That was her one chance to break Hartford's stranglehold on the conference and she and her team flat out choked.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/09/10 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They should look for a successful D-II coach who wants to move up.

PostPosted: 03/09/10 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ASWAD AMANDLA wrote:
The only reason for her to take an interview is if UMass is talking a lot more money and a real budget for that program.

Joanne P. McCallie and Sharon Versyp can leave for major conferences, I think Rizotti could do at least equal that. If their were openings in the big conferences Rizotti could get one of those jobs easily IMO.

snowstormxu

PostPosted: 03/09/10 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marnie Dacko is gone? Thank goodness.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/09/10 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
ASWAD AMANDLA wrote:

Joanne P. McCallie and Sharon Versyp can leave for major conferences, I think Rizotti could do at least equal that. If their were openings in the big conferences Rizotti could get one of those jobs easily IMO.

I wonder if Rizzotti will stay at Hartford until Geno is ready to retire or otherwise move on, and then take over at UConn.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/09/10 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
I wonder if Rizzotti will stay at Hartford until Geno is ready to retire or otherwise move on, and then take over at UConn.

It might be a long time. I predict she'll move up before Geno leaves UConn.

PostPosted: 03/09/10 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
njjosh wrote:

It might be sooner than you think. Remember that Geno is coaching the 2012 Olympic team, which I believe also means he has to coach the 2010 World Championships team.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/09/10 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
pilight wrote:
njjosh wrote:

It might be sooner than you think. Remember that Geno is coaching the 2012 Olympic team, which I believe also means he has to coach the 2010 World Championships team.

So? Pat Summitt is still at Tennessee 28 years after coaching Team USA at the Worlds. Tara Vanderveer is still at Stanford 16 years after coaching Team USA at the Worlds.

PostPosted: 03/10/10 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
pilight wrote:
njjosh wrote:

Yeah I agree with Pilight she won't be coaching UConn anytime soon. She may stay longer at Hartford just for family sakes, but I think she will get a coaching opportunity she just can't pass up before to long.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/10/10 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
njjosh wrote:
pilight wrote:
njjosh wrote:

Yeah I agree with Pilight she won't be coaching UConn anytime soon. She may stay longer at Hartford just for family sakes, but I think she will get a coaching opportunity she just can't pass up before to long.

Maybe you are right about Geno. And given all of the success she's had at Hartford, Rizotti has all of the leverage. She can afford to wait until the perfect opportunity comes.

Or maybe she's like Brian Giorgis, who has had similar success for a similar length of time at Marist. Maybe for whatever reason she's content to stay where she is.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/10/10 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rizzotti to Chapel Hill one day? ACC/Tar Heel fans can only wish, Duke fans can only worry.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/10 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Rizzotti to Chapel Hill one day? ACC/Tar Heel fans can only wish, Duke fans can only worry.

I don't think Hatchell is leaving any time soon either.

Rizzotti to Missouri is more likely than someplace that has a successful coach in place.

PostPosted: 03/10/10 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Queenie wrote:

It wouldn't be that much of a step up, at least not now.

And Queenie, I don't think Greenberg has been that great. All she's done is keep the program where Margaret McKeon left it, and not take it any higher. In fact, if anything, the program has taken a step back under her because McKeon at least won one conference tournament title. Greenberg is 0-4 in conference tourney finals and last year lost one that her team had absolutely no business losing. That was her one chance to break Hartford's stranglehold on the conference and she and her team flat out choked.

Greenburg has a better record than McKeon percentage-wise and is a MUCH better fit for the university than McKeon was. But I'm with you, 0-4? Feel your pain.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 03/16/10 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UMass' search committee for a new coach has been announced:

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/030810aaa.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: