RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Griner suspension typical, but not enough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/10 9:10 am    ::: Griner suspension typical, but not enough Reply Reply with quote

http://deadspin.com/5486625/brittney-griner-suspension-is-typical-but-not-enough

Quote:
The truth is that when you look at the punishments typically handed down for basketball fights, two games is about what you should expect. Oklahoma State's Andrea Riley took a swing at LSU's Erica White in an NCAA tournament game in 2008 and got a one-game suspension. (From the tournament. She still hasn't served it, because OSU hasn't been back.) The NBA's Trevor Ariza got one game back in December for swinging and missing at DeMar DeRozan. Ditto Jamaal Magloire and Detroit's Jonas Jerebko for their preseason slap fight. In college, Michigan's Zack Novak got the same punishment, not for a punch, but for a flagrant foul when he clocked Ohio State's P.J. Hill with an elbow. No matter the level or the gender, the circumstances don't seem to make a difference. Crossing the line between hard play and fighting is good for a one-game vacation. Two, if you're really a prick about it.

PostPosted: 03/07/10 1:52 am    ::: Agreed Reply Reply with quote

This could also be stated about when the Detroit Shock Got into an Altercation with the L.A Sparks. After the fight the main people only got a 2 game suspension. They had to only give 2 to make it legit, but Griner should of got more. I'm probably the biggest Griner fan, but that was a cheap shot.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/07/10 6:15 pm    ::: Re: Agreed Reply Reply with quote

weezyphresh9 wrote:
This could also be stated about when the Detroit Shock Got into an Altercation with the L.A Sparks. After the fight the main people only got a 2 game suspension. They had to only give 2 to make it legit, but Griner should of got more. I'm probably the biggest Griner fan, but that was a cheap shot.

It wasn't a cheap shot at all. Barncastle flung her across the key, and then walked away, whistling like nothing happened. She should have seen it coming.

The two players had exchanged words earlier, right? Barncastle probably said something offensive and then threw Griner to the floor, and then Brittney reacted emotionally. Should she have punched her? No, but Barncastle isn't innocent and that was NOT a cheap shot.

PostPosted: 03/07/10 6:22 pm    ::: Re: Agreed Reply Reply with quote

stats47 wrote:

It wasn't a cheap shot at all. Barncastle flung her across the key, and then walked away, whistling like nothing happened. She should have seen it coming.

The two players had exchanged words earlier, right? Barncastle probably said something offensive and then threw Griner to the floor, and then Brittney reacted emotionally. Should she have punched her? No, but Barncastle isn't innocent and that was NOT a cheap shot.

Anytime you swing at someone who isn't looking it's a cheap shot.

On second thought maybe it wasn't 'cheap.' Afterall, it did cost her two games.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/07/10 6:27 pm    ::: Re: Agreed Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
stats47 wrote:

Actually, a cheap shot is defined as "an unfair attack on a vulnerable target." So if Griner's punch was a cheap shot, so was Barncastle's behavior.

PostPosted: 03/07/10 6:36 pm    ::: Re: Agreed Reply Reply with quote

stats47 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
stats47 wrote:

Actually, a cheap shot is defined as "an unfair attack on a vulnerable target." So if Griner's punch was a cheap shot, so was Barncastle's behavior.

First I didn't say that I was giving an all-inclusive definition so...whatever.

Second, Barncastle didn't 'attack' Griner. So you're wrong again.

stats47

PostPosted: 03/07/10 6:43 pm    ::: Re: Agreed Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
stats47 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
stats47 wrote:

First I didn't say that I was giving an all-inclusive definition so...whatever.

Second, Barncastle didn't 'attack' Griner. So you're wrong again.

Sure she did. I don't know what else to call Barncastle's behavior. Griner's suspension is fair enough, but both players should have been ejected from that game.

PostPosted: 03/07/10 10:22 pm    ::: Re: Agreed Reply Reply with quote

stats47 wrote:
Sure she did [attack Griner]. I don't know what else to call Barncastle's behavior.

Confused Really?

coffy73

PostPosted: 03/07/10 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd call Barncastle's an intentional, flagrant, stupid foul, but it certainly wasn't an "attack", Laughing

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/15/10 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hockey player Alex Ovechkin pushes opponent Brian Campbell from behind caushing him to crash into the boards breaking his collar bone and some ribs.

Ovechin gets a two game suspension.

Campbell could be out the rest of the season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: