RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Guess the seat wasn't so hot after all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajdawg7

PostPosted: 03/09/10 10:29 pm    ::: Guess the seat wasn't so hot after all Reply Reply with quote

Tia Jackson will be back on the UW sideline next season.

Pardon me while I go throw up.

John Wooden
scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/09/10 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

here's the link to the story:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/womenshoopsblog/

what makes me laugh about this story, is i recall lots of seattle folks bemoaning the fact that udub didn't go after a 'name' coach, namely gail g. can you imagine telling gail that they'd pay her $180k? LOL

PostPosted: 03/09/10 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
what makes me laugh about this story, is i recall lots of seattle folks bemoaning the fact that udub didn't go after a 'name' coach, namely gail g. can you imagine telling gail that they'd pay her $180k? LOL

No kidding! Laughing I can't believe how low that figure is, yet in the same article the AD(?) is saying
Quote:
"Let me make it clear, I like the trend, but I don't like where we are," he said of the team that finished tied for sixth with Oregon in conference standings. "I think we are a top (tier) Pac-10 team. If we continue to support and give Tia what she needs, I think we can get there."

Clearly it's not money she needs. I don't get the disconnect where he believes that we are a top tier team, yet clearly there isn't the support in resources to get us there.

That said, I imagine any coach will have the same growing pains. I agree that Tia should go, but I'm just wary of being in the same recruiting/learning a new system vortex of pain with a new coach (given UW's clear committment to the coach of the women's team, but offering peanuts, particularly given the cost of living in Seattle) over several years. At least there was some improvement this year. Enough that I can probably stomach another season. Confused

Last edited by norwester on 03/09/10 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajdawg7

PostPosted: 03/09/10 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Todd Turner = Biggest Idiot in College Athletics

John Wooden
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/10/10 2:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
here's the link to the story:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/womenshoopsblog/

Part of me believes that Udub didn't want to buy out T. Jackson's contract. But the fact is, she did improve from last season. And you make a good point scullyfu, you can't expect a winner when you're not putting the resources into the program.

I may sound like a broken record but she did lose five of the six players from the class that came in her first year. She's had a load of injured players all of her years at UW and she doesn't have McDonald's All-Americans like at USC, Cal, UCLA or Stanford.

I may be too much of an optimist, but I think she could be a winner. We expect too many new coaches to get instant results. Look at Connie Yori, it took her 8 years to get to where she's at. Yes, I know she coached elsewhere, but you've got a new coach here. The fact is, half of all coaches will have a losing record. I think too many people are too impatient and sometimes it will take time to build a program especially when you begin with some setbacks. I'm glad to see this move by the UW AD.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/10/10 4:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree they just don't wanna pay the buyout. Besides that just looks like the dreaded Mafia Kiss vote of confidence. She better make the tourney next year or she gonna be gone methinks. This vote of confidence looks as damning as the one Norm Roberts got last year from St. Johns, coast is NOT clear for Ms. Jackson, just that she will be back next year.

And yeah, Invest in your school geniuses!

PostPosted: 03/10/10 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They survived Daugherty going 8-22 in her 4th season. No reason they can't let Jackson get to a 4th season.

PostPosted: 03/10/10 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking that they didn't want to have to worry about a buyout in this economy- look how penny-pinching they sound from the article. Now, when her contract runs out, if she hasn't gotten her shit together, I expect her to be kicked out so hard that the first bounce will be somewhere in Idaho.

PostPosted: 03/10/10 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh... I'll go with pilight and fancy_daniel as the voices of reason here.

Coaches usually don't get fired when the team is improving. Nice lukewarm endorsement from the AD though. He needs to choose his words better.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 03/12/10 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
They survived Daugherty going 8-22 in her 4th season. No reason they can't let Jackson get to a 4th season.

It's not just about the W-L record. Recruiting has come to a screeching halt, the program has atrophied fans at a rate higher than was happening under the Daugherty's. Players aren't improving (with a couple exceptions), and are in fact regressing.

She did nothing to earn year 4. We lost to Portland State and Sacramento State, narrowly escaped Seattle U and prior to a 3 game win streak to close the year, lost 10 of 11.

John Wooden
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/12/10 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's good to see that now that she doesn't have to worry about whether she will be back she can get back to her coaching.

This just in Washington 42 Oregon State 52. Good job Tia.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/12/10 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yet another program gets what it pays for ...

And you wonder why the Pac-10 is down? How many coaches in the Pac-10 make what an average Big 121 coach makes?

PostPosted: 03/12/10 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With a solid scorer in Whitcomb, a big post presence in Rogers, and a supporting cast including Argens, Rozier, and McLellan...I feel like Washington has a pretty talented roster. They should have accomplished something. Confused

PostPosted: 03/12/10 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

And you wonder why the Pac-10 is down? How many coaches in the Pac-10 make what an average Big 121 coach makes?

The Pac-10 doesn't support basketball in general. Look at how bad things are on the men's side right now too.

PostPosted: 03/12/10 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

And where do you suggest they get the money? From the tens of dozens of fans that come to games? Rolling Eyes

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/13/10 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An excellent point ... where should the money come from?

Here's the logic:

It is possible to generate revenue from women's basketball, as the Big 12 has shown. Granted, you can't make enough money to pay for the programs, but you can make something.

Apparently, many BCS schools feel that an investment in women's basketball pays off, in a variety of ways, from increased attendance, free publicity, donor interest, etc. Some of those BCS schools are in the Pac-10.

It may well be that Washington has decided that it can't justify investing in women's basketball, though the word was they fired June Daugherty because attendance was down. Both Washington and Oregon have shown in the past they can attract fans, so there's some potential there.

It could be that USC and UCLA both feel women's basketball will never generate enough income to offset an increased investment, but it certainly has more potential than track or softball or, most likely, baseball. It seems to me, though, that collegiate athletic programs should be doing their best to uncover every source of revenue and publicity, and women's basketball, again as the Big 12 shows, can supply both.

As for the Pac-10 men this year, last year the conference was considered the best in the nation, so I don't think it's fair to say it's collapsed. If the trend continues, and the salaries for coaches go down in the future, then I think you have a point -- but I'm far from convinced either will happen.

Finally, I think there is an obligation to support women's sports to some extent, and I'm not sure USC and UCLA have sincerely tried to do that (though it's conceivable their volleyball coaches get paid at the top of the scale).

PostPosted: 03/13/10 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fan support was a factor, but here's the real reason Turner sent her packing (and subsequently hired Tia).

Money - He thought that he could get the same results at a cheaper price.

Results - The program had plateaued at the 18-20 win mark and wasn't going to go any further.

The reason he hired Tia was two-fold.

Bargain basement price

The social statement (Willingham, Romar, Jackson)

Before you get bent out of shape, hear me out, because I'm not saying what you think I am. I for one was and am proud that the UW was the first school in the country with African-Americans in the 3 highest profile coaching positions.

The problem is that Romar can coach, Willingham and Jackson can't.

I could honestly care less about a coaches race, gender, age, sexual orientation etc, what matters to me is the results, how they handle the program (ie player development, college experience etc) and how they represent the university.

The results for Jackson have been abysmal (record setting losses, worst winning percentage in school history), outside of Whitcomb (who's a gym rat and would have gotten as good as she is without Tia) no one's better because of Tia Jackson, and from what I've seen, she treats her players like crap and is quick to throw them under the bus for losses. When you make comments like "these things happen" (after the record setting losses), "somebody had to be picked to finish last and it just happened to be us" (which had never happened at UW before) and "we're very close to being on the national map" (after a road trip in which we lost by 77 and outscored 180-80 in 2 games), it does not cast a good light on the university.

John Wooden
marty

PostPosted: 03/14/10 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes, a 77 point loss! This sounds like a really bad situation for the UW players.

colt13

PostPosted: 03/14/10 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

marty wrote:
Yikes, a 77 point loss! This sounds like a really bad situation for the UW players.

Gosh, I had to double check that because it doesn't even sound real. But Stanford got them 112-35 last year. Also Gonzaga has beat them 3 years in a row.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
marty wrote:

Gosh, I had to double check that because it doesn't even sound real. But Stanford got them 112-35 last year. Also Gonzaga has beat them 3 years in a row.

3 years in a row, and the margin of victory has grown every year.

John Wooden
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/10 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey she made the post season. Washington is playing in the WBI.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: