RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Iowa Vs. Ohio State

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladyvols76

PostPosted: 03/12/10 7:23 pm    ::: Iowa Vs. Ohio State Reply Reply with quote

Interesting... Prahalis would have had more fouls, and Kach would have still been on the floor...

http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20100312/HAWKS0201/3120316

GoIndeeeee

PostPosted: 03/12/10 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well it is unanimous, even the refs admit that they sucked.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/12/10 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"She wrote us back that they immediately reviewed two plays she thought they missed, and brought up those two plays."

The "she" is Patty Broderick, who is the Big Ten Supervisor of Officials with the WBOC.

I love Patty!! Smile I first met her in 1979 and then again in 1987. She always speaks when out pjaths cross. She game me one of the best peices of advice I ever received as an official (and it works for real life too).

We were talking about a game that had gone horribly for me. She said that you just have to look for the good in what happened. I told her that the only thing good that happened was that it ended!!!!

Quote:
Iowa sent in about 15 clips from the game for the WBOC for review. Bluder said she makes it a habit to send clips in regularly during the season.

"I send in a lot of clips, actually," Bluder said. "I don't know why other people do it, but every time I do it, I get a response.

"They either agree with me, which makes me feel better, or they disagree with me and tell me why, and I learn the game better. It's a win-win."

I hope that all coaches do this. It would be nice if they would make some available for the announcers and fans.

I'm watching OUS/ISU and am still trying to figure out why a travel was called on Williams near the left elbow in the 8:00-9:00 mark. I looked like a clean step-through to me.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/12/10 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's the good thing about tape. It's pretty hard to deny what is graphically right in front of you. Anybody watching the game had to know that those bad calls were turning points in the game. You feel bad for the players, but it is what it is.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/14/10 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I debated on replying to this but I must.

A.) Yes, Sammy should have gotten a technical.
B.) Yes, I thought she should have been called for her 4th foul.

I was at the game and I had the angle to view the 3rd and 4th fouls. They happened roughly the same place on the court. On her third foul, it should have been a "no call". It was a loose ball situation and once she lost the advantage (position), she conceded, slowed down, and put her hands up. The player turned into her to make contact. She turned away from the basket, cutting off Sammy, instead of going in for a layup.

If Coach asked about that call, they would have to admit that it should have been a "no call". We can't cherry pick the plays we want reviewed and ignored others.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/14/10 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
If Coach asked about that call, they would have to admit that it should have been a "no call". We can't cherry pick the plays we want reviewed and ignored others.

This is absolutely true. How often do any of us ardent fans see a foul our favorite player just got away with and say, "Damn! They SHOULDA called that one!" Shocked

Bluder's policy on tape reviews for refs is sensible. But I'd be REEEEALLY impressed if she (or any coach) would look for ANY miss-calls to submit for review...even the ones that favored their team. After all, isn't it in the best interest of the game for the referees to see ALL of their "mistakes"?? The refs are paid for their service to both teams on the floor, and superior reffing makes for superior games.

BlacknGold

PostPosted: 03/14/10 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

This is absolutely true. How often do any of us ardent fans see a foul our favorite player just got away with and say, "Damn! They SHOULDA called that one!" Shocked

Bluder's policy on tape reviews for refs is sensible. But I'd be REEEEALLY impressed if she (or any coach) would look for ANY miss-calls to submit for review...even the ones that favored their team. After all, isn't it in the best interest of the game for the referees to see ALL of their "mistakes"?? The refs are paid for their service to both teams on the floor, and superior reffing makes for superior games.

How do you know Bluder doesn't do just that? BTW, Prahalis should be given a T every time she steps on the court for just being Prahalis. Cool

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: