RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Palm's latest bracket up
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/01/10 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Gonzaga, which has a pretty good fan base.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/other-ballers/womens/2010/03/trying-for-100/

Quote:
If there were more than 100 paying customers at either game, I’d be stunned.

PostPosted: 03/01/10 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Gonzaga, which has a pretty good fan base.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/other-ballers/womens/2010/03/trying-for-100/

Quote:
If there were more than 100 paying customers at either game, I’d be stunned.

Clay's article was about Gonzaga's game in the Bay Area against losing WCC teams. I imagine Gonzaga fans would journey to see their team in Seattle. San Francisco is much further away, i.e. not a roadtrip.

The Zags are averaging over 3,000 per game this year. Pretty remarkable for a WCC women's team.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/01/10 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
dukemayo wrote:
Whatever the final bracket is, it will reveal the great blunder by the NCAA of abandoning the original practice of having the top four regional seeds host the opening two rounds. It appears there won't be a local team able to produce some ticket sales at Tempe, Louisville, Berkeley, Seattle, and Minneapolis. Pittsburgh too for that matter but of course UConn travels well.

The tv images of games being played in nearly empty arenas really hurts the game. And fans of many of the top 16 teams who don't have the money or time to travel hundreds of miles get cheated.

I suspect either or both of Gonzaga and E.Washington will be in Seattle. And Fresno State and/or UC Davis should definitely be in Berkeley. Of course that still won't sell a lot of tickets, except Gonzaga, which has a pretty good fan base. For Tempe, perhaps a Mtn West or Pac 10 team would help. Anyway these early brackets don't usually take those things into consideration...not that the final one always does either.

And I had to laugh at the comment about Tenn. getting an easy route. That seems to be true almost every year. I think Patty has friends on the committee.

Really? Like they year (2006) they were placed in the Cleveland bracket with North Carolina and Rutgers? Or in 2005, they had to play in Philadelphia instead of Chattanooga? I don't think Tennessee has an easier road than anyone else, except maybe the years they got to play the Sweet 16 in Knoxville - 2003 and 1995, most recently.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/01/10 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
myrtle wrote:
dukemayo wrote:
Whatever the final bracket is, it will reveal the great blunder by the NCAA of abandoning the original practice of having the top four regional seeds host the opening two rounds. It appears there won't be a local team able to produce some ticket sales at Tempe, Louisville, Berkeley, Seattle, and Minneapolis. Pittsburgh too for that matter but of course UConn travels well.

The tv images of games being played in nearly empty arenas really hurts the game. And fans of many of the top 16 teams who don't have the money or time to travel hundreds of miles get cheated.

I suspect either or both of Gonzaga and E.Washington will be in Seattle. And Fresno State and/or UC Davis should definitely be in Berkeley. Of course that still won't sell a lot of tickets, except Gonzaga, which has a pretty good fan base. For Tempe, perhaps a Mtn West or Pac 10 team would help. Anyway these early brackets don't usually take those things into consideration...not that the final one always does either.

And I had to laugh at the comment about Tenn. getting an easy route. That seems to be true almost every year. I think Patty has friends on the committee.

Really? Like they year (2006) they were placed in the Cleveland bracket with North Carolina and Rutgers? Or in 2005, they had to play in Philadelphia instead of Chattanooga? I don't think Tennessee has an easier road than anyone else, except maybe the years they got to play the Sweet 16 in Knoxville - 2003 and 1995, most recently.

The selection committee will put the host schools at their arenas. Beyond that, it comes down to what makes the bracket fit. They pick the bracket, then seed it, then assign regions and first round sites. They'll tweak it a little to ensure that teams from the same conference don't play each other too early. But they're not going to move Gonzaga up or down 3 seeds just so it can play in Seattle instead of Knoxville.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/10/10 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A third meeting isn't assured, let alone a fourth. ND seems to be fading and they are likely to see a St John's team that they just lost to in the BE quarters.

We're a step closer to ND v CT IV.

I beg you, SelCom, spare us all.

PostPosted: 03/10/10 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
A third meeting isn't assured, let alone a fourth. ND seems to be fading and they are likely to see a St John's team that they just lost to in the BE quarters.

We're a step closer to ND v CT IV.

I beg you, SelCom, spare us all.

Sadly, Notre Dame with Schrader in the lineup is as likely a candidate as anyone to be the second best team in the country.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: