RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Women Ballers 3x more likely....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrrew

PostPosted: 03/08/10 3:18 pm    ::: Women Ballers 3x more likely.... Reply Reply with quote

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100308/SPORTS02/3080338/1001/SPORTS

Quote:
Women basketball players were three times more likely to get a concussion than men.

Quote:
The NCAA also will hold an association-wide concussion summit this spring.

The conjecture in this 3 page article is that players are bigger and/or play is more physical.

Do you agree? Disagree? Should prevention equipment be required? New rules? Something else?

Maybe the summit will want to know....

PostPosted: 03/08/10 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players being bigger wouldn't explain why women are more likely to get concussions than men.

I doubt the number of concussions has actually increased, just consciousness of them. Not long ago, a headache would be dismissed by the coaches or ignored by the player and they would have gone on as if nothing had happened.

PostPosted: 03/08/10 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Players being bigger wouldn't explain why women are more likely to get concussions than men.

I doubt the number of concussions has actually increased, just consciousness of them. Not long ago, a headache would be dismissed by the coaches or ignored by the player and they would have gone on as if nothing had happened.

I agree with that statement.

Mathies to LA 2013
ClayK

PostPosted: 03/08/10 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course, the same lack of reporting applies to the men's side -- so if the men report three times more concussions, then that makes sense.

But if men, even with the new reporting, still report three times fewer concussions, then there's a story.

My guess is has to do with muscle strength in the neck and shoulders, if indeed there is a difference.

PostPosted: 03/08/10 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rise of competitiveness, the increased aggressiveness, more awareness, more concern.... I follow the Lady Vols quite closely, and I think Kelly Cain has had about 37 concussions in the last year or so.... Hope that kid has a lot of brain cells to spare...

sbcatcher45

PostPosted: 03/09/10 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:
The rise of competitiveness, the increased aggressiveness, more awareness, more concern.... I follow the Lady Vols quite closely, and I think Kelly Cain has had about 37 concussions in the last year or so.... Hope that kid has a lot of brain cells to spare...

I agree that the women are becoming more aware of concussions and may report them more than the men do, which could lead to this statistic, but if she's had 37 concussions in 1 year she wouldnt be playing anymore. Jamie Carey had possibly 10 over her lifetime and Stanford told her she couldn't play anymore. I also think there is a structural difference contributing to the increase of concussions in women. Men are naturally built stronger and to sustain more force and trama than women.

PostPosted: 03/09/10 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Of course, the same lack of reporting applies to the men's side -- so if the men report three times more concussions, then that makes sense.

But if men, even with the new reporting, still report three times fewer concussions, then there's a story.

My guess is has to do with muscle strength in the neck and shoulders, if indeed there is a difference.

Or they may sustain realitively the same number of concussions but the male athletes just minimize their symptoms more because of the bigger possibility of pro careers that they may not get if they aren't playing or get a repof being prone to concussions. Trainers can't report what they don't know.

Another thing I think of is what I percieve of as more ruthless play in men's sports (football and hockey) where a team MAY go do a little headhunting if they know a guy is a prone to being knocked out of a game due to a concussion.

In hockey the team will often report that Player A has an arm injury when it's actually a leg that's injured just to keep the other team from going after the guy's leg. Of course they will then show a replay of a hard hit in the previous game wehre the player skates off the ice on one leg and doesn't return for that game.

One thing that I think decreases the injury in men's sports is that more men seem to wear mouthguards than women do. Maybe I'm just thinking of football and hockey and that's distorting my thinking. I've often heard that well-fitting mouthguards help prevent concussions. Maybe they should start looking into making that a requirement in lower levels (middle school on up at least).

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/09/10 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Soon they will be wearing crash helmuts....I only say it partially tongue in cheek. It seems like a lot of concussions occur with back of head hitting floor so maybe they will come up with some padded beanie that fits on the back of the head. Of course nobody would ever want to wear it!

Jimi3

PostPosted: 03/09/10 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I confess when I read the title to this thread I thought ---- Get pregnant. Laughing

Obviously this is a study worth pursuing. Is it because of physical body structure, training, prior experience with falling down in other sports and better knowing how to protect oneself? What? Maybe there is something that we can change or protect against.

The mouth-guard thing is an interesting observation. I know I have seen Kansas mens basketball players wearing them.

PostPosted: 03/09/10 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbcatcher45 wrote:
YankeeVol wrote:

I agree that the women are becoming more aware of concussions and may report them more than the men do, which could lead to this statistic, but if she's had 37 concussions in 1 year she wouldnt be playing anymore. Jamie Carey had possibly 10 over her lifetime and Stanford told her she couldn't play anymore. I also think there is a structural difference contributing to the increase of concussions in women. Men are naturally built stronger and to sustain more force and trama than women.

When you're super literal, your no fun.

sbcatcher45

PostPosted: 03/09/10 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:
sbcatcher45 wrote:
YankeeVol wrote:

Haha. Sorry I didn't pick up on the sarcasm there. That was just the athletic training/ physical therapy student im me coming out.

PostPosted: 03/09/10 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbcatcher45 wrote:
YankeeVol wrote:
sbcatcher45 wrote:
YankeeVol wrote:

Haha. Sorry I didn't pick up on the sarcasm there. That was just the athletic training/ physical therapy student im me coming out.

Ha - so it's true that higher education is a killjoy... but on the bright side, you'll have a highly sought after set of skills....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: