RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Such strong feelings....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurabass

PostPosted: 03/06/10 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
As an AD, you aren't acting in the best interest of the girls if you do not give them the best chance to win. Glance is an awful recruiter and everyone in the ACC knew it. Harper, on the other hand, is a much better recruiter (who has credibility in the Deep South thanks to her UT pedigree) and has enough X's and O's to get by.

I have a distant cousin who played for Kay and loved just about every moment of her time there. She was a great woman by all indication. However, she was a little too loyal for the current-day cutthroat atmosphere of the ACC. Glance should've long been replaced by a more dynamic recruiter.

It's highly unfortunate that Kay had to lose her battle with cancer so soon. Lucky for NC State, though, their program picked up faster than they imagined. Those girls deserve to have the best shot at winning games based on what they've had to endure during their college careers.
I've wondered all season why Stephanie Glance is sitting on the Lady Vol bench with Warlick Lockwood and Summitt. The well over 50 all white staff without the beautiful Nikki Caldwell and Daedra Charles Furlow off trying to recover from some unknown ailment.
Did Pat hire Glance as a posthumos favor to Kay?
If Glance can't recruit or coach why is Pat wasting that place and space on Glance?
It seems to me that a dynamic young African American coach with an interest in offense and great rapport with potential recruits would be a far better choice. God knows there are plenty of potential ex-Lady Vols out there like Niya Butts or Kyra Elzy and others who it would seem could offer a different relationship with young AA players than Glance.
She seems to have established a special relationship with Miko Williams that has helped to smooth out a rough patch between Miko and Pat and the players seem to like her but I can't help but think this aging staff could use some youth and color.
Any idea why Pat made that choice?

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/06/10 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

aurabass wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
As an AD, you aren't acting in the best interest of the girls if you do not give them the best chance to win. Glance is an awful recruiter and everyone in the ACC knew it. Harper, on the other hand, is a much better recruiter (who has credibility in the Deep South thanks to her UT pedigree) and has enough X's and O's to get by.

I have a distant cousin who played for Kay and loved just about every moment of her time there. She was a great woman by all indication. However, she was a little too loyal for the current-day cutthroat atmosphere of the ACC. Glance should've long been replaced by a more dynamic recruiter.

It's highly unfortunate that Kay had to lose her battle with cancer so soon. Lucky for NC State, though, their program picked up faster than they imagined. Those girls deserve to have the best shot at winning games based on what they've had to endure during their college careers.
I've wondered all season why Stephanie Glance is sitting on the Lady Vol bench with Warlick Lockwood and Summitt. The well over 50 all white staff without the beautiful Nikki Caldwell and Daedra Charles Furlow off trying to recover from some unknown ailment.
If Glance can't recruit or coach why is Pat wasting that place and space on Glance?
It seems to me that a dynamic young African American coach with an interest in offense and great rapport with potential recruits would be a far better choice. God knows there are plenty of potential ex-Lady Vols out there like Niya Butts or Kyra Elzy and others who it would seem could offer a different relationship with young AA players than Glance.
She seems to have established a special relationship with Miko Williams that has helped to smooth out a rough patch between Miko and Pat and the players seem to like her but I can't help but think this aging staff could use some youth and color.

Pat hired her as a "special assistant" before the season as they are longtime coaching colleagues and wanted to give her an opportunity for a year or so. With Daedra Charles off the sidelines, for now, Glance has taken on a bigger role with in-game coaching.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/06/10 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

aurabass wrote:

niya (arizona) and nikki (ucla) already have head coaching jobs. elzy is in her 2nd year as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at kentucky.

PostPosted: 03/06/10 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
aurabass wrote:

niya (arizona) and nikki (ucla) already have head coaching jobs. elzy is in her 2nd year as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at kentucky.
Oops should be Tasha Butts
and of course I know Nikki is the HC at UCLA
with Tasha as her assistant
and since I'm suggesting assistant coaches other than Coach Glance Kyra at KY would certainly be worth a look along with Tasha at UCLA to come back to UT and fill the need of a young dynamic AA coach on the staff instead of Glance.

aurabass

PostPosted: 03/06/10 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
aurabass wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Pat hired her as a "special assistant" before the season as they are longtime coaching colleagues and wanted to give her an opportunity for a year or so. With Daedra Charles off the sidelines, for now, Glance has taken on a bigger role with in-game coaching.
Yes that is true
But it doesn't address the question WHY GLANCE?
What does she bring to the table that the rest of the over 50 monochrome staff does not bring
I specifically address the comment that she's an ineffective recruiter.

I know Pat hired her as a special assistant and I know DCF being out gave her a deeper role.
But was she a sympathy hire over friendship OR does she bring something worthwhile to the program
or is she really a waste of space as a coach and recruiter?
and wouldn't it be better to have a variety of age and color on the staff?

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/06/10 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know, maybe you should write a letter to Pat Summit.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/06/10 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I totally agree on your assessment of Frese. She's quickly approaching Sylvia Hatchell territory in that her coaching career has been made by one game (and, in many ways, one shot). Like Hatchell, she hasn't won a damn thing since that NC.

And let's not forget that UNC committed a travel violation on that inbounds pass to Smith! Shoulda been La Tech's ball.

PostPosted: 03/06/10 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

aurabass wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

I think it all comes back to loyalty - and a statement to NC State about their lack of it.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/06/10 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bigorange123 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
The McCallie hate seems to be primarily Duke fans who are bitter at having to downgrade from Gail Goestenkors. G didn't abandon Duke, Duke abandoned her.

I do think a share of the vitriol aimed at McCallie also has to do with her treatment of players. Anyone have a link to the bit where players have to make appointments to talk to her?

Simply put, McCallie is not a very good ambassador of the womens game. I'm trying to figure out how the heck she won ACC Coach of the year?! LMAO!!!

When you say she is not a good ambassador, what does that mean? I don't see how having players make appointments is such a terrible thing. It depends more on what happens when those appointments occur. I've known coaches with different policies - an open-door policy does not necessarily equate to a good coach...or even a good mentor. If having players run in and out of her office willy-nilly keeps her from being able to function to her best ability as a coach, and all the behind-the-scenes things that entails, then an appointment policy is appropriate. And the girls get a glimpse of what operating in the real world is all about, as opposed to continually being treated as 'special'.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/06/10 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:
I think it all comes back to loyalty - and a statement to NC State about their lack of it.

How can a Vol be upset at NC State for hiring a former Lady Vol favorite? I don't get it.

NC State is a veteran-laden team (9 players with at least three years in the program). They've gone through highs (win over previously undefeated Duke in 2007 at ACC Tourney semis) and lows (death of a beloved coach). They deserve a shot at winning as many games to compete for an NCAA berth. Harper gives them the best chance to do this AND she gives the program the best chance to recruit better talent than was left to her. Glance doesn't give any program any of this, which is a big reason why she's not a head coach anywhere.

Mathies to LA 2013
YankeeVol

PostPosted: 03/06/10 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
YankeeVol wrote:

How can a Vol be upset at NC State for hiring a former Lady Vol favorite? I don't get it.

NC State is a veteran-laden team (9 players with at least three years in the program). They've gone through highs (win over previously undefeated Duke in 2007 at ACC Tourney semis) and lows (death of a beloved coach). They deserve a shot at winning as many games to compete for an NCAA berth. Harper gives them the best chance to do this AND she gives the program the best chance to recruit better talent than was left to her. Glance doesn't give any program any of this, which is a big reason why she's not a head coach anywhere.

Maybe it might have meant something to the returning members of the late Kay Yow's team to not have continued losses with the coaching staff.
Compassion and loyalty are nice messages to send to young people, too. If Glance had a year or two to make something happen and didn't, maybe that's a different story.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/06/10 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I totally agree on your assessment of Frese. She's quickly approaching Sylvia Hatchell territory in that her coaching career has been made by one game (and, in many ways, one shot). Like Hatchell, she hasn't won a damn thing since that NC.

And let's not forget that UNC committed a travel violation on that inbounds pass to Smith! Shoulda been La Tech's ball.

Somewhere, our old friend champion is smiling.

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/06/10 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I wonder where he is.

Grumps

PostPosted: 03/07/10 4:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
beknighted wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I wonder where he is.

If you find him, ask about BamaBob...

Grumps

BBFan23

PostPosted: 03/07/10 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glance has no coaching duties at UT as she is an assistant to Pat which is a made up position to give her a job out of respect and loyalty to Kay. It is the same thing that Stanford did for Marianne Stanley after the USC mess. UT already has 3 assistant coaches who share the coaching and recruiting duties and Glance can only assist Pat within the NCAA rules. Great gesture by Pat and nice for Glance as she didn't get hired by other schools she interviewed with after NC State.

YankeeVol

PostPosted: 03/07/10 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBFan23 wrote:
Glance has no coaching duties at UT as she is an assistant to Pat which is a made up position to give her a job out of respect and loyalty to Kay. It is the same thing that Stanford did for Marianne Stanley after the USC mess. UT already has 3 assistant coaches who share the coaching and recruiting duties and Glance can only assist Pat within the NCAA rules. Great gesture by Pat and nice for Glance as she didn't get hired by other schools she interviewed with after NC State.

AMEN to that.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 03/08/10 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YankeeVol wrote:
Maybe it might have meant something to the returning members of the late Kay Yow's team to not have continued losses with the coaching staff.
Compassion and loyalty are nice messages to send to young people, too. If Glance had a year or two to make something happen and didn't, maybe that's a different story.

Except that really, given how sick Yow (with all due respect and admiration) was for more than one season and unable to work as much as top DI program requires, Glance had the helm a good bit and didn't have much success in recruiting or wins. It is very telling to me that Glance did not get hired by another program until Pat discovered a need for a special assistant.

Frankly, I think had Glance been hired at NCSU instead of Harper this season would have been more of a Yow Memorial Season w/ the focus continuing to be on Yow and the end of her life rather than the team/program. And I do not think the team would have done nearly as well. Closure is good, too.

YankeeVol

PostPosted: 03/08/10 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
YankeeVol wrote:

Except that really, given how sick Yow (with all due respect and admiration) was for more than one season and unable to work as much as top DI program requires, Glance had the helm a good bit and didn't have much success in recruiting or wins. It is very telling to me that Glance did not get hired by another program until Pat discovered a need for a special assistant.

Frankly, I think had Glance been hired at NCSU instead of Harper this season would have been more of a Yow Memorial Season w/ the focus continuing to be on Yow and the end of her life rather than the team/program. And I do not think the team would have done nearly as well. Closure is good, too.

Yes, good points.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 03/08/10 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At Maine her last season I was friends with a few of the players and she wasn't well liked that season. Being pregnant and not allowed to take certain meds didn't help I guess. As for being like Portland I don't know. Her start player her last year was known to be gay, and she liked her just fine and even called her the best post she's ever coached not way to long ago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: