RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

June unites us
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddubdawg

PostPosted: 10/04/09 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not defending June, but she did get one call right. When Hoffman hit the shot to give Indy the lead you can see that she called it a two, which it was, but it was the scoreboard keeper (is that what they are called) that put it up as a three in the score.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/04/09 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Courteau seemed to be in the middle of the most obvious fuck-ups, including the false report of the double T.

Seriously, though. June Courteau is made of FAIL.

if it were a double tech we would have got a free throw Rolling Eyes that was just messed up from the getgo

If I recall the rule correctly, neither team would have gotten a free throw, actually, which would have been a more definite advantage to the Mercury. I just assumed Courteau had been overruled.

I like Huskie's idea.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 10/04/09 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There have been nine ref assignments in the Finals. Who have they gone to?

Refs good enough to work NBA games during the lockout = 2
June Courteau = 2

PostPosted: 10/04/09 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just thinking ... will June end up as one of the refs filling in for NBA games??

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/04/09 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple of the best aren't on the list to work NBA games.

If you're on Twitter, RT my tweet about June

@slovydal

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/04/09 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

If you read the various stories that included the list, a bunch of people the NBA invited turned it down (for various reasons). So difficult to know who was left out and who said no.

shyguy1701 wrote:
What the WNBA needs is referees who work the WNBA season and the WNBA season only. June, like a lot of other referees are overworked and need to concentrate on one level of basketball or the other. One month after the WNBA season is over, June goes back to the NCAA until the second week of April. Six weeks after that, she's back to the WNBA. Time to end the nonsense and get dedicated refrees for the league where they can take the off-season to sharpen their skills rather than having to backtrack to the level of the NCAA.

That's a terrible idea. You don't get better as a referee by training and reading books for over 7 months a year. You get out of shape and lose any possible edge of decision-making you might have. Much better to be working games, which is where you're most likely to improve as an official (even if it's a very slightly different version of the game).

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/04/09 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

If you read the various stories that included the list, a bunch of people the NBA invited turned it down (for various reasons). So difficult to know who was left out and who said no.

I know.

Wink

Richard 77

PostPosted: 10/04/09 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still say they're overworked which is why I think they're lousy.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
bballgrl

PostPosted: 10/04/09 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is my one and only post on this game. As I stated earlier I like both these teams and would be happy with whichever team won the title. That said, the first thing I thought when I saw June on the court was "oh no". What really pissed me off was when she gave a time out to Phonix when clearly no one had possession and when Catch clearly had the ball and was about to put a hole in her hand calling for the time out June calls a jump ball. Bad calls were made on both ends but some were so blantenly obvious that it really sucked. How do you give a time out when no one had the ball in their hand. If anything that was more of a jump ball than a time out. No wonder Catch was pissed and I don't know if anyone noticed when during the post game Catch made some remarks about the refs in general. Saying in her book they are not always right. I hope she doesn't get a fine for that remark even though it was true. Let's home that in game 4 the refs let them play.

IMO something must really be wrong with DT. True she is being guarded tough but she has gotten off many shots that she has missed and even missed some at the free throw line. That is just not like her.

potd41

PostPosted: 10/05/09 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
dtbtbtb wrote:
I agree..is that possible that the only people who recognize that she is a horrible ref are the fans? the fans, regardless of which team they are pulling for?

further evidence that NO ONE in the WNBA league office, actually KNOWS the game of basketball.

X____________________________ Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 10/05/09 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"What the WNBA needs is referees who work the WNBA season and the WNBA season only. June, like a lot of other referees are overworked and need to concentrate on one level of basketball or the other. One month after the WNBA season is over, June goes back to the NCAA until the second week of April. Six weeks after that, she's back to the WNBA. Time to end the nonsense and get dedicated refrees for the league where they can take the off-season to sharpen their skills rather than having to backtrack to the level of the NCAA."

Setting aside whether they should work most of the year or rest during the WNBA offseason, I think the officials work so many games in order to earn a living. Considering that the NBA officials have been locked out after their contract expired and replacement referees are working exhibition games, there is zero chance the WNBA officials will get more money. If they needed to work college games last year, they'll have to do so again this season.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 10/05/09 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My dad watches a few W games here and there. Maybe he will go to three Sun games in person. Maybe watch 3 games on ESPN.

He watched last night's game.

After it, he said that the league, avid fans, and casual fans alike should be insulted that they had to watch June officiate such an important game. He also said he hopes it didn't turn off any casual fans.

caune

PostPosted: 10/05/09 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
caune wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Courteau seemed to be in the middle of the most obvious fuck-ups, including the false report of the double T.

Seriously, though. June Courteau is made of FAIL.

if it were a double tech we would have got a free throw Rolling Eyes that was just messed up from the getgo

If I recall the rule correctly, neither team would have gotten a free throw, actually, which would have been a more definite advantage to the Mercury. I just assumed Courteau had been overruled.

I like Huskie's idea.

yeah my bad..neither would have gotten a free throw on a double T and we'd be back to a tied game.
It was a bad call in the first place and a Tech should never have been called in the first place

PostPosted: 10/05/09 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the officials do have to work many games in order to make a living. And frankly they give up a lot in order to pursue this profession...constantly on the road, always being yelled at, difficulties in establishing a true home, etc. I mean during the college season, thanks to much improvement of WCBB, I will see sometimes the same official covering four games across the nation in one week. With that much travel it cannot be easy to ready for every game. I am trying to cut them some slack because I think they do the best the can given the circumstances, however, it seems like there should be a better answer.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/05/09 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The truth is that it is very, very difficult to be a good ref. I think that is something most fans don't realize. It is very very physically and mentally demanding. I was a high school ref for quite a few years and considered myself to be good most of the time...but not truly excellent at it. And definitely some games I was better than others. It takes a special person to be truly excellent. For one thing, you have to be able to let criticism not affect your calls during the game - having someone like Big Bill whining at you every time up and down the floor gets old real fast. You have to try to be in the right position to see the action all the time and you have to focus on multiple players/multiple actions all at the same time...not just once, but continually. It is very, very difficult to be right 100% of the time. Commentators and fans have the benefit of multiple replays and we still often don't agree on what the call should have been. The ref sees it once in real time. And while we always say 'let them play' there is really a fine line between letting them play and keeping a game under control.

Bottom line: you expect the best refs to be at the best levels, but you also have to realize that the athletes at the top are also quicker, wilier, and in great physical condition - meaning it is even more difficult to ref at that level. I guess having been a ref, even though at lower levels, I'm more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Until you walk a mile in their shoes...well, you know the adage. If there was an easy way to get refs that were way better than what we have, I'm sure the W would be hiring them.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/05/09 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:
Unfortunately, the officials do have to work many games in order to make a living. And frankly they give up a lot in order to pursue this profession...constantly on the road, always being yelled at, difficulties in establishing a true home, etc. I mean during the college season, thanks to much improvement of WCBB, I will see sometimes the same official covering four games across the nation in one week. With that much travel it cannot be easy to ready for every game. I am trying to cut them some slack because I think they do the best the can given the circumstances, however, it seems like there should be a better answer.

Or the flip side of that- they'll stay in one area and cover every rung of the D-I ladder. I've seen Bonita Spence at the Liberty, at the Sun... at the NCAA tournament... at Rutgers... at St. John's... and at the Fordham Holiday Invitational. I used to joke that she was stalking me.

(now with spelling variations)
caune

PostPosted: 10/06/09 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ddubdawg wrote:

Or the flip side of that- they'll stay in one area and cover every rung of the D-I ladder. I've seen Bonita Spence at the Liberty, at the Sun... at the NCAA tournament... at Rutgers... at St. John's... and at the Fordham Holiday Invitational. I used to joke that she was stalking me.

Yeah, here in pac 10 land we get a lot of Clark Stevens and Michael Price doing games

PostPosted: 10/06/09 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Yeah, here in pac 10 land we get a lot of Clark Stevens and Michael Price doing games

Those two will be doing NBA games this winter.

PostPosted: 10/06/09 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:
My dad watches a few W games here and there. Maybe he will go to three Sun games in person. Maybe watch 3 games on ESPN.

He watched last night's game.

After it, he said that the league, avid fans, and casual fans alike should be insulted that they had to watch June officiate such an important game. He also said he hopes it didn't turn off any casual fans.

LOL, that game was no where near the worst officiated game, not by far.

PostPosted: 10/06/09 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
caune wrote:

Those two will be doing NBA games this winter.

Oh I bet it won't go into winter once NBA players have to put up with that crap a few games.
Hell the players can take up a collection of pocketchange and cover the difference in salary demands that are causing the walk out.
No, I'm pretty sure they'll be back to college by the time the Pac 10 season starts Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: