RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Candace Parker (College Jersey# question)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sketchbook88

PostPosted: 04/13/08 10:05 am    ::: Candace Parker (College Jersey# question) Reply Reply with quote

I was just looking at CP highlights from high school and noticed that her number was not 3 but 32.

Why did she change her number? Was it already taken when she got to the team?

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/13/08 11:03 am    ::: Re: Candace Parker (College Jersey# question) Reply Reply with quote

sketchbook88 wrote:
I was just looking at CP highlights from high school and noticed that her number was not 3 but 32.

I could be wrong, but I feel like #32 is a retired jersey number at Tennessee, I just don't know whose it is.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/08 11:05 am    ::: Re: Candace Parker (College Jersey# question) Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
sketchbook88 wrote:

I could be wrong, but I feel like #32 is a retired jersey number at Tennessee, I just don't know whose it is.

#32 is retired at Tennessee. It was Daedra Charles' number.

PostPosted: 04/13/08 11:55 am    ::: Re: Candace Parker (College Jersey# question) Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:
sketchbook88 wrote:

And that even I didn't know. I'd imagine #23 is retired, too, and one more really freaking good #14 should retire that number for all time, quite honestly. Same with #5.

Grumps

PostPosted: 04/13/08 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Lady Vol basketball players have worn thirty-two different numbers over the years; five will never be worn again. Numbers 22, 23, 24, 30 and 32 have been retired to preserve the dedication and commitment that the last player to wear each of those numbers has displayed for Tennessee basketball.

http://www.utladyvols.com/basketball/page.aspx?id=32874

Grumps

ZoCroSixPence

PostPosted: 04/13/08 1:10 pm    ::: Re: Candace Parker (College Jersey# question) Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:
sketchbook88 wrote:

And that even I didn't know. I'd imagine #23 is retired, too, and one more really freaking good #14 should retire that number for all time, quite honestly. Same with #5.

Hornbuckle have her jersey retired, I would agree with that.

For #5 should it be Zolman, or wait till Bjorklund graduates and retire it then.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/13/08 3:33 pm    ::: Re: Candace Parker (College Jersey# question) Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how many 23s are retired at colleges around the country.

It's retired at Rutgers for Sue Wicks, who most of us consider to be the best player ever at RU. Interestingly, she started playing at RU in 1984, when Jordan was just starting in the NBA, and she actually says she took it because it was the number worn by Wayman Tisdale.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/08 3:36 pm    ::: Re: Candace Parker (College Jersey# question) Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I wonder how many 23s are retired at colleges around the country.

It's retired at Rutgers for Sue Wicks, who most of us consider to be the best player ever at RU. Interestingly, she started playing at RU in 1984, when Jordan was just starting in the NBA, and she actually says she took it because it was the number worn by Wayman Tisdale.

The only women's number retired at Mercer is Andrea Congreaves' #3. The way things have been lately, we may never retire another one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: