RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

National championship game: predictions thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myt

PostPosted: 04/07/08 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:
I don't expect tomorrow's game to be anything like the game in December. I believe UT had a nice lead in that one and let it slip away, I don't expect them to do that in a National Championship game. Tomorrow should be interesting...

X___________________ Very Happy

I was at that game in Dec. The LVs did have the lead and lost their composure at critical times in the game. We won't see a repeat performance tomorrow.

Lex will probably not score much because she will be focused on stopping Wiggins. I don't think there will be any maul ball either unless there are cheap fouls dished out against Parker...

When I watched the LVs lose in Dec, I told myself I wanted to see this matchup in the Tourney... Hope I am happy with what I wished for....

Go Lady Vols!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/07/08 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee will continue their cake stumble to the NC.

It matters not:

-- that Parker is injured;
-- that Tennessee's offense is the ugliest thing since original sin;
-- that Stanford has been executing near-flawless team basketball;
-- that TVV is the best technical and game coach in the business;
-- that rational extrapolations and interpolations of recent games trend aggressively toward a Cardinal win; or
-- that all my fibers and corpuscles will be rooting for the former Indians.

For this is a matter of destiny.

But, saying that, begs the question of what deity is in charge of the WCBB universe and its karmic end times. I think that deity plays loaded dice with the universe.

Hence, the Lady Vols have some sort of magic juju.

This will be the game where Tara's triangle goes haywire. The shots brick. Candice can't find the ocean. Appel and Pederson trip over each other. The game will be close.

But in the end, the earth's magnetic field will reverse polarity just in time to guide a Vol shot into the basket for Summitt's Number 8.

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 04/07/08 7:41 pm    ::: Predictions Reply Reply with quote

I went 1-1 in the semi's (winning with Lady Vols, close as I expected, and losing with CT). From courtside, the Huskies looked one and done most of the night. I thought they would have a board edge but really didn't (forget the last few minutes).

My problem with Stanford is that they have been hot and are due for a bad game. TN is very physical inside. Can the young duo of Appel and Pedersen hold them off the boards? If so, they probably win.

I see 5 seniors start for TN but only Wiggins for Stanford. Also, Parker has had a few days to rest. I have go with Lady Vols but in a close game.

Geno said they will be back. Barring injuries, they should win the next 2 titles.

TN must start over. I have seen most of their recruits (not Bass from Indiana). They will be super deep inside but relatively thin on the perimeter. I really like Stricklen from Arkansas. She's a long 6-2 wing, can attack hole or shoot over you and plays with above average basketball IQ. They should not be ranked #1 in the SEC pre-season (my guess is Auburn if Boddie (quality PG) gets her academics together) but they may be there by the end of the season.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:11 pm    ::: Re: Predictions Reply Reply with quote

Bob, do the Huskies win the next two titles, in your view, because they'll be so much better, or because the competition is worse? I know UConn gains Della Donna, but they're losing a lot of role players-- Swanier, and Houston. And Thomas (though Thomas struggles against elite competition, however praiseworthy her will and heart have been). And Rutgers supposedly has five great recruits...

I agree that Appel and Pederson have to handle the physicality of Tennessee's multiple posts, which will be a lot harder than handling the most recent version of UConn. OTOH Appel and Pederson did a fine job in December: I believe the Cardinal got more rebounds in that win.

I now think Bobbitt will be the key to that game. Nobody Stanford has at the guard positions can remotely keep up with her-- but she has been known to beat herself. If she gets a lot of assists. Tennessee wins. If not, things will get interesting.

I'd really like to see the Cardinal take it.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fuzzball Records wrote:
Stanford-vs-Tennessee: Scholars-vs-Hillbillies. Go Cardinal!

…aren't you an Al Gore fan?

Ahem. Anyway. If Stanford has a two-possession or more lead in the last thirty seconds, they'll pull it off. If the lead is three or less (or obviously, if Tennessee has the lead), one last million-to-one chance will give Tennessee their eighth title.

If Tina Napier is part of the crew, all bets are off, nothing can be trusted, and we might as well have Jennifer Azzi and Tamika Catchings arm-wrestle at center court for the championship.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They look ugly doing it, but Tenn keeps on finding a way to win.
I don't see them doing anything else.

Tennessee by 5.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fight the power! No magic juju!

Stanford.
By ... I don't know ... six.

rooting for Tennessee -- to me -- is more like being a Yankees fan. it's easy 'cause you win a LOT. i'm not impressed with that kind of fandom. (go Mets)

mabell3368

PostPosted: 04/08/08 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My heart is with Tennessee, and I will be cheering for them here on my couch. But my head says this is Stanford's year. That triangle offense versus Tennessee's smothering defense. Should be a great game. Appel and Pederson and Wiggins and Chones and Gold-Onwude. Just too many matchup problems, especially with a hurting CP3. Still, Go VOLS!

PostPosted: 04/08/08 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
My heart is with Tennessee, and I will be cheering for them here on my couch. But my head says this is Stanford's year. That triangle offense versus Tennessee's smothering defense. Should be a great game. Appel and Pederson and Wiggins and Chones and Gold-Onwude. Just too many matchup problems, especially with a hurting CP3. Still, Go VOLS!

I think you meant Hones... Very Happy .. Anyway, I really, really, really hope it's Stanford winning the title tonight.. it's been a long, long, long time coming..

I'M A BELIEVER..

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/08/08 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Well, you can talk about numbers or matchups or coaches until you're blue in the face and you won't be any closer to the truth. This game is about destiny. Maybe you think Candace Parker is destined to end her career as a champion. It doesn't always happen that way. Sheryl Swoopes and Diana Taurasi went out on top, but Chamique Holdsclaw and Cheryl Miller didn't. No, there's something greater at work here. For 10 years Stanford has been a punchline. The #1 seed that lost to a #16. The team that lost to Maine. The best team in a disguised mid-major, the Slac-10. The team with the high ranking that always found a way to come up short in March. Stanfraud. It's time to put an end to all that. Candice Wiggins has come from the wilds of San Diego to put a stake through Allison Feaster's undead heart, and nobody, not even the great Candy P, is going to stop her.

Ace or Ice? Ice, Ice, baby...

my friends I laughed soooo hard about your post Pilight, esp referring to Candace as Candy P! I hope you're right about the destiny for C-dub and the Cardinal.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/08/08 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure really.

I know Tenn will have to score more than 40 to win this thing. Wink

Stanford seems to be peaking at the perfect time, they are the best team in the country.

However, I don't care that Wiggins won the Wade, hurt shoulder and all, Parker's the best player in college basketball..and if she gets the help she needs, she'll win.

So my prediction, if Bjorkland has a good game, Tenn wins, if not Stanford will take it.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too many people are picking Stanford. It's not good for their karma.

That said, I'm still a believer! Embarassed Wink

mabell3368

PostPosted: 04/08/08 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ps5pede wrote:
mabell3368 wrote:

I think you meant Hones... Very Happy .. Anyway, I really, really, really hope it's Stanford winning the title tonight.. it's been a long, long, long time coming..

I'M A BELIEVER..

Yes, you are correct. I have a feeling that after tonight I won't forget her name again! Thanks for the correction.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
…aren't you an Al Gore fan?

Yes, and Al Gore lives in one of the few homes that has electricity in Tennessee. BWAWAWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Laughing

Go Cardinal!

PostPosted: 04/08/08 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm picking Stanford. Yeah, they're peaking, but they're also playing really solid and they're being coached really well. I'd worry that the performance against Uconn was a burst of emotional brilliance, a fling that can die out too quickly. But they looked calm and in control. I think they've got all guns firing, and Tennessee has to play everything perfectly to win.

I also believe that Pat is going to win this game no matter what! So it ain't over until the balloons and confetti are falling from the ceiling.

Tennessee hasn't had much time to clear that last game out of their heads. Parker said her shoulder "was fine" after the game, but it sure didn't look fine during the game. She won't have Sylvia pounding on her, but she's not playing 100%. I thought she played brilliantly for being injured, but the shoulder is a variable for sure.

And I really hope the officiating is better. I'm pretty clueless about bad calls, so if I think the refs suck, then it's very very bad....

PostPosted: 04/08/08 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace is going to plug in a bionic arm or two tonight! It will be no holds barred down in Tampa with Candice trying to rally her troops against a furious Tennessee defense. However, Candace wants to say, "This one's for you, Pat!" Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/08/08 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope Candice Wiggins goes out a champ.. It's Stanford's turn...

Grumps

PostPosted: 04/08/08 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the curse of Pilight trumps the curse of josh, at least tonight... Very Happy

Grumps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: