RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Final Four game 2: Tennessee vs. LSU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/06/08 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My Treo ran out of juice, so you missed my clever commentary during the game. Anyway, LSU is getting better in these Final Four games - they scored two more points at the half than last year.

You all covered the ugly pretty well, so I won't reiterate, but I was surprised that nobody mentioned the design of the last Tennessee play. Pat used Parker to draw the defense, which was why Anosike was so open. Of course, she missed the shot, but the play itself was very nice, and conveniently Anosike's miss went to the left, where there weren't any LSU players, since they all went towards Parker. Hence the o-board and hence the win.

I did not miss that there were 0.2 seconds on the clock before they checked. I thought it was pretty funny.

Finally, I have to mention that I was sitting next to LSUAlum96, who mostly posts on the ESPN board, at the 2004 FF game when Tennessee got the steal in the last couple of seconds when LSU had a chance to win. I thought of him tonight. I'm sure he was screaming at his TV when Tennessee scored.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/06/08 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least with Armintie Price on her new roster, once she hits training camp Fowles can start feeling better about her free-throiw shooting Wink.

kage

PostPosted: 04/06/08 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
At least with Armintie Price on her new roster, once she hits training camp Fowles can start feeling better about her free-throiw shooting Wink.

Laughing I'm sure AP must be better by now...
TheWildJacko

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
njjosh wrote:
What a choke job by LSU. 7-20 at the line and play horrible defense on the last possession.

And Rocky Top lives to play another day. Rolling Eyes

I don't know what to think of Tennessee's chances against Stanford. You look at tonight and you think no way. But they should find the going much easier offensively against Stanford's defense. And Appel doesn't have anywhere near the athleticism of Fowles.

i'm not worried about jayne on the d end, she can hold her own.

offensively, jayne can pass like crazy, rebound AND make chippies and free throws. Smile

Will she be able to keep up with Anosike and Co. for 40 minutes? How did she do against Tennessee in the regular season game (I know Stanford won in OT)?

Appel looked winded at times tonight trying to keep up with Charles and UConn's posts. Tennessee's are better still.

Then again, perhaps it's fitting that if Stanford is going to win this thing, that they'd have to beat Tennessee, their waterloo for so many years.

Appel didn't shoot especially well against TN in December, but her stat line was very nice:

43 minutes, 19 points ( 7-18 ), 14 rebounds, 2 fouls, 2 assists, 2 turnovers, 4 blocks and 3 steals.

Here's Anosike's line:

28 minutes, 2 points (1-5), 4 rebounds, 5 fouls, 2 assists, 0 turnovers, 0 blocks, 0 steals.

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
My Treo ran out of juice, so you missed my clever commentary during the game. Anyway, LSU is getting better in these Final Four games - they scored two more points at the half than last year.

You all covered the ugly pretty well, so I won't reiterate, but I was surprised that nobody mentioned the design of the last Tennessee play. Pat used Parker to draw the defense, which was why Anosike was so open. Of course, she missed the shot, but the play itself was very nice, and conveniently Anosike's miss went to the left, where there weren't any LSU players, since they all went towards Parker. Hence the o-board and hence the win.

I did not miss that there were 0.2 seconds on the clock before they checked. I thought it was pretty funny.

Finally, I have to mention that I was sitting next to LSUAlum96, who mostly posts on the ESPN board, at the 2004 FF game when Tennessee got the steal in the last couple of seconds when LSU had a chance to win. I thought of him tonight. I'm sure he was screaming at his TV when Tennessee scored.

Thanks for the update!

Yes that play was very nice. I'm sure Pat just said if you're open take the shot, if not I'm sure Nicky or someone on the weak side will be. Was Nicky fouled or did she miss that layup that badly? I didn't realize it was that off until the replay. It was like the perfect set up for Lex.

I'm really happy that Lex's college career didn't end on that silly foul, and Nicky's didn't end on her missing that layup. On to TUESDAY!!!! Laughing
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know what...

I want Tenn to get beat, but I'd rather have Wiggins beat them.

Ice vs. Ace is better for the game than anything with LSU in it..I don't think I could handle another 35-40 game...or it'd be a blow out in Standford's favor..

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:
Yes that play was very nice. I'm sure Pat just said if you're open take the shot, if not I'm sure Nicky or someone on the weak side will be. Was Nicky fouled or did she miss that layup that badly? I didn't realize it was that off until the replay. It was like the perfect set up for Lex.

It looked like a clean miss. I was all the way at the other end, but had a pretty clean view.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

True that. At least Fowles doesn't airball her free throws. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/07/08 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee sure won ugly that's for sure. They were a few made free throws away from being out of this tourney, but they are not coming in with momentum. Regardless, I think Pat will have them ready although I am rooting for Stanford all the way.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/07/08 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good.

Mathies to LA 2013
SuziQ

PostPosted: 04/07/08 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, now that my eyes have stopped bleeding, I can post a comment or two.

Painful to watch. Van, WTF, man? Did Seimone take ALL of LSU's offense w/ her? I definately think so. You have no one to blame but yourselves, LSU. 50% FT woulda got the job done. Da-yum! Rolling Eyes

Cannot WAIT to see Big Syl mix it up in the W. She is a force to be reckoned w/ down low. Oh, to have a post like that.......... Shocked

Not gonna say anything about Candace, because ESPN has said it all. A. Million. Times. Dear. God.

Tennessee, play anything like that again, and Stanford will demolish you. It was a combination of luck, and decent play call at the end, and missed FTs that got you to the Final 2. You'd better play like you belong.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, tenn pulls ANOTHER one out of their oranges asses, and while i think stan is the better team, is playing better, and SHOULD win tomorrow, the opposite result will not surprise me.

hornbuckle on wiggy, big nicky on pedersen.....parker will have appel in foul trouble by the 10:00 mark of the first half.

lol. wtf.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After last night game I can't find a place in my heart to cheer for CP as a Spark Evil or Very Mad

gpark33

PostPosted: 04/07/08 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go Lady Vols! Survive and advance. What a time for Hornbuckle to get her first points of the game. She really needs to step it up tomorrow. What a play call by Pat at the end to have Parker bring it up. Nice.

Have to say of all the bands last night, I liked Stanford the best. Willy Wonka running the with that tree was very entertaining. I like the retro music from the TN band too but Rockytop 12 times was a bit much.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/07/08 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
Go Lady Vols! Survive and advance. What a time for Hornbuckle to get her first points of the game. She really needs to step it up tomorrow. What a play call by Pat at the end to have Parker bring it up. Nice.

Have to say of all the bands last night, I liked Stanford the best. Willy Wonka running the with that tree was very entertaining. I like the retro music from the TN band too but Rockytop 12 times was a bit much.

I'm with you on the bands, but I'm pretty sure you missed about a dozen Rocky Tops.

One thing I'm keeping in mind is that the game plans for both teams tomorrow will be different. I don't think you can make any assumptions about how the game will go based on last night's games.

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 04/07/08 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be honest, the Lady Vols should not have gotten out of the Elite Eight. A&M should have driven to the basket while Parker was out instead of taking three pointer after three pointer.

And certainly had LSU just made their FTs, it would not have come down to a last minute heroic putback. Those are the breaks. Maybe it's destiny for the Tennessee program this year. I hope we see a good game on Tuesday. That was the second bad offensive game by the Lady Vols. I don't think they can survive one more.

Last edited by cherrystreet on 04/07/08 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
TheWildJacko

PostPosted: 04/07/08 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
hornbuckle on wiggy, big nicky on pedersen.....parker will have appel in foul trouble by the 10:00 mark of the first half.

Wouldn't be too sure about Appel. She had all of 2 fouls in 43 minutes in the last matchup between Stanford and TN. Anosike had 5 fouls in 28 minutes.

Grumps

PostPosted: 04/07/08 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TheWildJacko wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Wouldn't be too sure about Appel. She had all of 2 fouls in 43 minutes in the last matchup between Stanford and TN. Anosike had 5 fouls in 28 minutes.

That was at Stanford...

Grumps

njjosh

PostPosted: 04/07/08 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
TheWildJacko wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

That was at Stanford...

Grumps

Where I seem to remember Stanford having something like a 40-20 edge in free throw attempts. If anything, it will be the reverse tomorrow - no way the refs are going to hose Pat like that again with a national title on the line.

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 04/07/08 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly don't think that people can look at last night's game and say that Tenn doesn't have momentum. That wasn't a basketball game, it was a brawl. I'm shocked that not every starter for both teams was in foul trouble! I think last night's win might help the Vols because it may give them a huge Psychological boost. However, such a battle, especially for the bigs, may have worn them down a bit.

The most interesting thing that Pat said during the post-game press conference was:
COACH SUMMITT:
I really thought tonight just watching Candace, I thought Candace's emotionally struggling. Just what she's been through and also I don't think Candace has had a lot of sleep. She's spent a tremendous amount of hours in her rehab.

http://utladyvols.com/common/article.aspx?id=50078

We'll be crowning the 2008 National Champs tomorrow night!!! Can't wait
myt

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I knew this game was going to be a battle! Both teams play great defense.

Both team played hard... Rasheed Wallace (c)

I tip my hat to Big Syl. She played a great game. 24 pts, 20 reb. She did what she could.

HUGE Congrats to LVs!!!! Again they played great defense and found a way to win!

Tuesday is gonna be another fightfest Cool

Go Lady Vols! Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great ending to the game last night.

Defensive battles always interest me.

LSU killed themselves in the game with their missed bunny and foul shots.

The end of the game is online as you might imagine. Here's the Link!
Grumps

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:

Where I seem to remember Stanford having something like a 40-20 edge in free throw attempts. If anything, it will be the reverse tomorrow - no way the refs are going to hose Pat like that again with a national title on the line.

Close...32-10...

Grumps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: