RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Regional Attendance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dukemayo

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:03 pm    ::: Regional Attendance Reply Reply with quote

Don't know what total attendance is so far because there are two non-reports and one hard-to-believe in the 1st and 2nd round box scores, but here are the regional figures:

Code:
code

Region            Winner          Semis          Final         Total       

Greensboro        UConn            5,034           4,623        9,657

Spokane           Stanford         7,626           6,821       14,447

New Orleans       LSU              4,181           5,067        9,248

Okla. City        Tenn.            10,032          9,341       19,373     

Grand Total                                                           52,725       

The range over the previous ten tournaments was 43,592 (2007) to 73,954 (2003), so this year's total is toward the low end.

Hats off to Texas A&M and Tennesse fans, presumably, for traveling to Oklahoma City.

Anyone have an opinion on why more UConn and Rutgers fans didn't travel down to Greensboro?

For all the talk from over in Chapel Hill about how playing LSU in New Orleans was unfair, it doesn't seem to me that enough LSU fans showed up to make it a real strong LSU "homecourt" advantage.

LSU attendance on its real homecourt in Baton Rouge is sort of low anyway (5,468 average this season, 16th in Div. I), so I don't know what Sylvia Hatchell was so worried about that she had to distract her team. She probably didn't do any research and just imagined 10,000+ student fans, not 4,000 older fans.

The only box score that had the Okla. City semis figure of 10,032 was at the Notre Dame website, but it seems to fit.

hooper1

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, those are fantastic figures for Spokane, which is in the middle of nowhere. Lots of locals attended those games (eastern WA, Idaho, Montana.)

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/08 1:39 pm    ::: Re: Regional Attendance Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
Anyone have an opinion on why more UConn and Rutgers fans didn't travel down to Greensboro?

UConn fans don't travel. Rutgers only draws in the mid 3k range at home, so I wouldn't expect them to pull many on the road.

PostPosted: 04/06/08 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were several UConn people on my flight from NYC yesterday but Tampa so far has been swimming in orange

sbjules

PostPosted: 04/06/08 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

UConn isn't used to traveling far before the finals & lately Rutgers has been much closer to home than Greensboro.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 04/06/08 2:24 pm    ::: Re: Regional Attendance Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
dukemayo wrote:

UConn fans don't travel. Rutgers only draws in the mid 3k range at home, so I wouldn't expect them to pull many on the road.

My expectations about UConn were probably shaped by my impression of how many seemed to be in Cameron when Duke was on their schedule, but now that I think about it more, it was probably "only" a thousand or so and just seemed like more in cozy CIS.

BTW, Rutgers apparently did better at home this year:

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2008WBBattend1.html

Actually, we should make this link the start of a thread on regular season attendance sometime soon in the soon-to-arrive offseason.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:03 am    ::: Re: Regional Attendance Reply Reply with quote

I won't say that RU is going to threaten the top 10 in WCBB attendance (if for no other reason than that the RAC holds only about 8K), but I was going to point out that RU bumped its attendance up by about 20% this year. So far as I can tell, RU sent about the same number of people to Greensboro as last year, maybe a few more.

LSUTigerFan

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:41 am    ::: Re: Regional Attendance Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
Don't know what total attendance is so far because there are two non-reports and one hard-to-believe in the 1st and 2nd round box scores, but here are the regional figures:

Code:
code

Region            Winner          Semis          Final         Total       

Greensboro        UConn            5,034           4,623        9,657

Spokane           Stanford         7,626           6,821       14,447

New Orleans       LSU              4,181           5,067        9,248

Okla. City        Tenn.            10,032          9,341       19,373     

Grand Total                                                           52,725       

The range over the previous ten tournaments was 43,592 (2007) to 73,954 (2003), so this year's total is toward the low end.

Hats off to Texas A&M and Tennesse fans, presumably, for traveling to Oklahoma City.

For all the talk from over in Chapel Hill about how playing LSU in New Orleans was unfair, it doesn't seem to me that enough LSU fans showed up to make it a real strong LSU "homecourt" advantage.

LSU attendance on its real homecourt in Baton Rouge is sort of low anyway (5,468 average this season, 16th in Div. I), so I don't know what Sylvia Hatchell was so worried about that she had to distract her team. She probably didn't do any research and just imagined 10,000+ student fans, not 4,000 older fans.

The only box score that had the Okla. City semis figure of 10,032 was at the Notre Dame website, but it seems to fit.

I know I am kinda late in responding to this post, but just wanted to comment. As an LSU fan I wanted more than anything to attend the regionals in New Orleans (my home ) I tried going to the LSU website to purchase tickets, couldn't find any available. The ticket master site gave a message that these tickets could not be purchased at this time. Tried stub hub and other sites and got a similar message. Also tried the New Orleans arena website....nothing. So it was with great dismay that I sat and watched on TV only to see loads of GOOD empty seats! Anyone have any idea why tickets were not made available?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: