RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

random wcbb mention

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24duzitall

PostPosted: 04/05/08 2:07 pm    ::: random wcbb mention Reply Reply with quote

i am in central kentucky where the women rarely get any ink, and rarer still they get any love. so this morning while in the goodwill store i heard 2 guys talking about basketball. one was an older man-late 70's and the other was about 20. the old guy said " anymore, i'd bout rather watch the girls play than the boys". i thought they were talking high school. the young guy says" did you see tennessee play the other night?" old guy says" yeah, i didn't think were going to pull it out, and parker-came back twice after being hurt, she's tough." young guy says"yeah, she's a beast!"
made me smile and want to take off my sweatshirt to show them my "how to win 900" pat summit t-shirt.

PostPosted: 04/05/08 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was at a Home Depot here near Dallas and got into a conversation with the guy working the paint counter, because of my Tennessee ball cap. He asked me if I was watching the women's tournament. He called himself a basketball fan and spoke very knowledgeably about the women's game.

I think the public's perception of the women's game is finally beginning to change. Diana Taurasi was a catalyst and Candace Parker and all of the truly great players in the game now are fueling that change in attiude. I think it's great that the sports fan is beginning to recognize the merits of women's basketball. The sky's the limit, once it gets to the point that being a fan of the game is no longer seen as being on the lunatic fringe.

PostPosted: 04/06/08 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
I was at a Home Depot here near Dallas and got into a conversation with the guy working the paint counter, because of my Tennessee ball cap. He asked me if I was watching the women's tournament. He called himself a basketball fan and spoke very knowledgeably about the women's game.

I think the public's perception of the women's game is finally beginning to change. Diana Taurasi was a catalyst and Candace Parker and all of the truly great players in the game now are fueling that change in attiude. I think it's great that the sports fan is beginning to recognize the merits of women's basketball. The sky's the limit, once it gets to the point that being a fan of the game is no longer seen as being on the lunatic fringe.

A lot of us around here want to believe those things, but it does seem like there's more evidence for them this year (at least as far as the college game is concerned): the huge ratings leap for the tourney this year on the ESPNs-- up by close to 50% so far-- coincides with a decline (9%) in ratings for the guys on CBS (excluding the Final Four for either, of course).

Now: will the new fans watch Parker in a Sparks uni, or Fowles on the Sky?

MNfan22

PostPosted: 04/06/08 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Now: will the new fans watch Parker in a Sparks uni, or Fowles on the Sky?

I bet more would if more gms were televised. Like 24duzitall when I've overheard guys in of all ages taking about WCBB or the WNBA I too walk away smiling. It's usually becasue they took time to watch on TV.

Slightly off topic but ... but for example, nice that the Big10 has a network but is sucks that one of the primary states in the conference (ie Minnesota) didn't have a deal w/any of the local cable companies so that = little exposure. There were some WNBA teams (ie: Mystics) that last season didn't have a local TV deals. Some teams (ie Lynx) have a deal w/Fox to show 6 gms a season. In the early days they'd do some away gms, last 4 yrs they've all been home gms but 1. ABC seems to be showing fewer gms then NBC did back in the early days. For the W summer makes it tought w/ MLB & families never home but more TV would mean more exposure.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: