RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mark French steps down at Santa Barbara.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 04/03/08 9:03 pm    ::: Mark French steps down at Santa Barbara. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.independent.com/news/2008/apr/03/ucsb-coach-mark-french-retiring/

Quote:
For years, French preached “habits of excellence” as the guiding principle of his program. “I don’t want to be a coach who gets after the kids to do all they can, and not do it myself,” he concluded. “These women deserve a head coach who lives up to habits of excellence.”

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/03/08 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did an interview with Coach French for Full Court Press back in 2003 (http://66.117.151.21/subs/people/french03.html)

I found him to be incredibly engaging and willing to answer tough questions (recruiting African-American players to a university that is 3 percent African-American, whether religion is a visible component of the team, what he looks for in recruiting, scheduling issues, etc.)...and not just provide "coach speak" answers. He was a great ambassador for the sport and a terrific coach. He will be missed not just by UCSB, but by the entire sport of women's basketball.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/03/08 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow, this is a surprise. Sbjules= did you see this coming?

Mark is definitely a quality coach and good guy that will be missed in the women's game.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 04/03/08 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

That's all I have to say... for now

cattekin

PostPosted: 04/03/08 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm more than surprised.

At the press conference following UCSB's Big West tournament win three weeks ago, French's eyes *gleamed* when he talked about reuniting all-conference Kat Suderman with player of the year candidate Jenna Green.

However, he is going out on top, and the BWC road ahead figures to be more uphill than before, considering that Riverside is getting player of the year Kemie Nkele back, and Pacific will improve greatly with the arrivals of Div. II All-American Amber Simmons and Miss Iowa Basketball Jenn Jorgensen.

I liked French. He was very patient with reporters who didn't know zone defense from zucchini.

BlueLiner

PostPosted: 04/04/08 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN still hasn't put up a story about French retiring. I guess they limit updating their WBB page to one story a day, and Arizona hiring Butts met their quota.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/04/08 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A friend of mine used to do the student radio coverage at UCSB and the games were really an event at the school that doesn't really have much going on outside of school other than partying. It was great to see that type of atmosphere at a "non-traditional" basketball school. For a while, they were the best UC women's basketball school before the emergence of Cal. I'm sure Mark just needed a break from running the whole program. Here's hoping that Cori Close comes back to coach her alma mater.

sbjules

PostPosted: 04/04/08 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
wow, this is a surprise. Sbjules= did you see this coming?

Mark is definitely a quality coach and good guy that will be missed in the women's game.

No. I don't think anyone did.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/04/08 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's too bad to see a coach going through burnout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: