RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Worst Commercials So Far
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Most Annoying Commercial So Far
Coke Zero
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Honking Car Horn
41%
 41%  [ 23 ]
Aerobic Orbitz
33%
 33%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 56

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anything is better than the Winky ads from a couple years ago.

The coke zero ones annoy me and they are on so much now. The car horn one seems stupid. I like the Orbitz aerobics one - love the looks on the kids' faces although I'm getting tired of seeing it.

norwester wrote:
I think I'm most amused by the Verizon commercial where the woman is attending the baby shower. That one cracks me up every time.

I like that one too especially since I'm not a big fan of showers and I've attended a few where I'd rather be watching a sporting event.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What irritates me about the Coke Zero commercials is that the lawyers actually seem to be giving these jamoches the time of day-- they shouldn't have gotten past the receptionist.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate the car horn commercial not only because I am tired of hearing the horn barking at me almost incessantly, but also and primarily because it is so mean-spirited. It plays into a growing aspect of our culture that I find very disturbing.

I'm also really tired of the Orbitz aerobics commercial. It strikes me as just plain dumb. But I think a major problem with this and most of the commericals airing during the NCAA broadcasts is that there are so few sponsors that we are being subjected to so much repetition that even a commercial that might seem moderately funny or cute once or twice starts to get really tiresome the 450th time you see it.

But I do enjoy the Verizon baby shower commercial, and the Coke Zero commercials. The latter were filmed with real Coke executives and real but unknowing Coke attorneys; a sort of "candid camera" thing. I think the attorneys' reactions are priceless.

waterloosunset

PostPosted: 03/31/08 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As long as we're doing commercials we don't hate, I'll say that I'm still not sick of the baby shower one yet, and the one where the Bizness Dude is giving a "motivational speech" using a ridiculous array of stupid buzzwords is hilarious (I think the underlings are playing Buzzword Bingo or something). I work with people who talk like that with a straight face, and it's very hard for me to keep from laughing right at 'em.

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 03/31/08 1:54 pm    ::: Step into the 21st century Reply Reply with quote

Commercials??? What is a commercial?

I LOVE my DVR system. I don't have a clue what you all are talking about with commercials. I just start watching a game 1-1.5 hours after it begins and zip right over all the commercials.
Cool
And during play, I hit the skip back button to watch my personal replays of great plays, backdoor screens and phantom fouls. ESPN doesn't break long enough from talking about Candace/Pat/Maya/Geno long enough to show the execution within the game.

waterloosunset

PostPosted: 03/31/08 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:

I LOVE my DVR system. I don't have a clue what you all are talking about with commercials. I just start watching a game 1-1.5 hours after it begins and zip right over all the commercials.
Cool
And during play, I hit the skip back button to watch my personal replays of great plays, backdoor screens and phantom fouls.

Uhm, you kind of sound like a DVR commercial...

(KIDDING!)

Grumps

PostPosted: 03/31/08 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:
My vote goes to the one with Parker saying how anything less than a NC would be a failure, and claiming "we" have seven NCs, when she was still in diapers for three of them, and in jr. high for another three. That one's so bad, many of you will argue my point that it's a commercial.

Right on cue. Right. on. cue. Smile

There could be a thread on the bad weather in OK and some how, some way, Bill would find a way to blame Parker for it...It's pretty sad actually to hate someone that much...

Grumps

played3on3

PostPosted: 03/31/08 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually I'm pretty sick of all of them but I really HATE the car horn one. It's not only obnoxious but I have no clue what the point of it is. I couldn't even tell you what car they are trying to sell but the idea that the only one available is the one that has just been sold is ridiculous Rolling Eyes
I do enjoy the NCAA ones but the baby shower one is my personal favorite...been there, done that Laughing

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/31/08 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
gpark33 wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:
My vote goes to the one with Parker saying how anything less than a NC would be a failure, and claiming "we" have seven NCs, when she was still in diapers for three of them, and in jr. high for another three. That one's so bad, many of you will argue my point that it's a commercial.

Right on cue. Right. on. cue. Smile

There could be a thread on the bad weather in OK and some how, some way, Bill would find a way to blame Parker for it...It's pretty sad actually to hate someone that much...

Grumps

I am ever amused that, for as much as I harp on my "I Hate Candace Parker" theme, I continue to be misconstrued. My only "criiticism" has been-- and continues to be-- that ESPN jams her down our throats for what is clearly marketing purposes. And it appears that I'm not alone on that note.

Remember back with the class of '04, when everybody talked about Taurasi, yes, but Alana Beard and Nicole Powell? And Kelly Mazzante, and that kid from Houston whose name I forgot, but who led the NCAA in scoring? And I think Rebekah Brunson was also in that class. There was actual talk about those players. Actual debate about who might be better. This year, that kind of talk has been stifled by ESPN, which has backed Parker as the next "face" for the WNBA. Despite the fact that Candice Wiggins has bested Parker's best performance; despite the fact that Courtney Paris has out-produced Parker nearly 100 times; despite the fact that a freshan at UConn is putting up nearly the same numbers with teammates that are way more productive; despite the fact that people in the know who watched Parker's conference decided that someone else was a more valuable, more productive player in terms of what she did for her team and the conference generally. That's not criticism of Parker, folks; that's criticism of the media, led by ESPN, that wants to cash in next year on Parker's sport drink and shoe and whatever else they can get her to endorse.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another vote here for the DVR. It almost tempts me not to watch games live even when I can.

Most of the commercials aren't horrible until you've seen them 20 times. I sometimes think advertising executives don't consider that point, even as they direct someone to make a buy that will make any faithful fan see a particular spot in his or her sleep. For what it's worth, the Orbitz ad seems to me to have gotten funnier, partly because each little bit is near-perfectly done, while the Volkswagen ad seemed stupid from the start and hasn't gotten any better. (The Orbitz ad with the guy and the woman in the elevator, however, has not grown on me.)

For what it's worth, the friend who was watching the RU-GWU game with me thought the Orbitz and Verizon "MVP" ads were annoying, and the only ones worth comment.

As for the Coke Zero lawyer ads, personally I think they're really dumb, but I understand that, at least initially, the lawyers were real and were asked by Coca Cola to consult with them on possible lawsuits. It's hard to imagine that too manylawyers would turn that chance down, even if it seemed a little far-fetched to some of them that Coke would call. Some of the spots actually make the lawyers look pretty good, since a lot of them say the Coke guys are out of luck.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/31/08 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's some advertising strategy where the idea is to make the commercial so strange or offensive or just plain bad you you remember the ad, even if you don't remember the product-- recal the Enjolie perfume commercial about bringing home the bacon, etc. I think these ads all fit that strategy. I'd like to know what it is about the target audience that makes them think this is a good strategy-- as it apparently is, as we're talking about the commercials and the products.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I LOVE that aerobic orbitz commecial. How funny is her outfit? Shocked
That commecial cracks me up every time. Laughing

I also like the baby shower one.

What I have really had enough of is that Gecko from Geico. Rolling Eyes

http://www.myspace.com/cappie23officialfansite
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/31/08 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan wrote:
I LOVE that aerobic orbitz commecial. How funny is her outfit? Shocked
That commecial cracks me up every time. Laughing

I also like the baby shower one.

What I have really had enough of is that Gecko from Geico. Rolling Eyes

I love the baby shower one too!

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/01/08 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The "male organ" enlarger pill? Besides my e-mail, they're now spamming my TV. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/02/08 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can I please never hear Parker again say "I guess that's why we have seven."

Can I start calling her Candace SParker?

PostPosted: 04/02/08 11:23 am    ::: Great line!!! Reply Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
Stephen Shirley wrote:

Cool
And during play, I hit the skip back button to watch my personal replays of great plays, backdoor screens and phantom fouls.

Uhm, you kind of sound like a DVR commercial...

(KIDDING!)

Great come back. Laughing

blkkirk

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The baby shower commercial should win some kind of award!!!! It's brilliant. I love when she's watching a game on her phone and they pass the cute pink girl dress and she wipes her mouth on it! classic.

sbjules

PostPosted: 04/02/08 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember back with the class of '04, when everybody talked about Taurasi, yes, but Alana Beard and Nicole Powell? And Kelly Mazzante, and that kid from Houston whose name I forgot, but who led the NCAA in scoring*? And I think Rebekah Brunson was also in that class. There was actual talk about those players. Actual debate about who might be better

*Chandi Jones

I think it's that "star watch" stuff they trot out every game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: