RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So How Do We Break the Cycle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rothum

PostPosted: 03/26/08 12:55 pm    ::: So How Do We Break the Cycle? Reply Reply with quote

After the first round of games, of the 32 teams remaining, 5 teams - Marist, Hartford, UTEP, George Washington, and Old Dominion - were NOT from the so-called "major conferences" ....

Not one McDonald's All American game player has chosen a mid-major. Zero. There is a never ending cycle that seems to be central to women's college basketball. The big conferences are the powers, they get the best players, they stay the best teams, so they get the best players.....so how does the break come?

http://www.off-court.com/

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/26/08 2:11 pm    ::: Re: So How Do We Break the Cycle? Reply Reply with quote

I have to say that I think it's more useful to think in terms of traditional powers than major conference teams. While the Sweet 16 has a fair number of the usual suspects, it also has 8 teams that didn't make it last year plus GWU (which was there last year but isn't a traditional power). Some of those teams - Louisville and Pitt come to mind - are just becoming prominent in the sport.

Rothum

PostPosted: 03/26/08 2:40 pm    ::: Re: So How Do We Break the Cycle? Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I have to say that I think it's more useful to think in terms of traditional powers than major conference teams. While the Sweet 16 has a fair number of the usual suspects, it also has 8 teams that didn't make it last year plus GWU (which was there last year but isn't a traditional power). Some of those teams - Louisville and Pitt come to mind - are just becoming prominent in the sport.

Good point about the traditional powers, in GW and ODU, in particular.

In examining Louisville and Pitt, which came first, the rise in prominence or the joining the Big East? The Big East I would say, with the exposure of playing UConn, Rutgers, etc. giving them a better shot at better players. It'll be interesting to see if they can build on that now.

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/26/08 3:35 pm    ::: Re: So How Do We Break the Cycle? Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Good point about the traditional powers, in GW and ODU, in particular.

In examining Louisville and Pitt, which came first, the rise in prominence or the joining the Big East? The Big East I would say, with the exposure of playing UConn, Rutgers, etc. giving them a better shot at better players. It'll be interesting to see if they can build on that now.

IIRC, Pitt's an original Big East school. Louisville was a pretty decent program before joining the Big East, but certainly not on this level. McCoughtry probably was recruited after the switch was announced.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/08 4:49 pm    ::: Re: So How Do We Break the Cycle? Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:
After the first round of games, of the 32 teams remaining, 5 teams - Marist, Hartford, UTEP, George Washington, and Old Dominion - were NOT from the so-called "major conferences" ....

We're not that far behind the men. They had eight non-majors make it to round two. Only one boy's McDonald's All American has committed to a non-major.

PostPosted: 03/27/08 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't say anything about the men's teams because I don't follow them; however, as for the women, I believe it is not the difference in the quality of players that separate the teams, as much as it is the programs.........i.e. the coaches, staff, trainers, equipment, the value the university gives to the program.

I believe there are more top high school players who do not receive national recognition than those that do and that these players are as good as the ones getting the attention..........it is who gets publicity, what school they go to, who promotes them, who they are related to, what aau teams they have been on, etc. There is a lot of talent out there that is just not known because of so many factors..........such as the fact that there so many players and programs, not all can get covered.

Oklahoma has four McDonald's All-American players and one finalist.........(the finalist and three of the other four start and the fourth gets very little playing time) and we can't get past the round of 32. Take those young women to Pat Summitt or Gary Blair and I think the results would have been different.

Rothum

PostPosted: 03/30/08 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Feedback posted. Some comments put up on here included.

Thanks again!

http://www.off-court.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: