RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA Tournament Ratings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRballer

PostPosted: 03/28/08 12:50 pm    ::: NCAA Tournament Ratings Reply Reply with quote

Lifted from a press release (sorry, I don't have a link to the release, but I found it on http://www.shesgotgame.blogspot.com/) it appears ratings are way up for the first two rounds:

"Leading into the “Sweet Sixteen” this weekend, ESPN’s exclusive coverage of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Tournament has garnered double-digit increases in both viewership and ratings on ESPN2 and ESPN during the first two rounds (48 games within 13 telecast windows March 22 – 25), according to Nielsen Media Research. With games primarily shown on ESPN2 (12 windows), that network saw a 29 percent household jump over last year (546,000 vs. 423,000), based on a 20% ratings increase (0.6 vs. 0.5), while ESPN’s viewership is up 40 percent among households (482,000 vs. 344,000), based on a ratings increase of 25 percent (0.5 rating, compared to last year’s 0.4). Also, consumption of NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament content on ESPN.com has also seen growth, with an increase of 27% in page views and 19% in visits versus the same period last year."

Now, any word on actual attendance figures? I'm seeing a lot of box scores with "N/A" but I imagine Bridgeport, Norfolk, West Lafayette, College Park, and Albuquerque drew pretty well. Stanford had more than 5,500 for Candice's last game, which is way up from previous years they've hosted and been in the 3,000s.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 03/28/08 1:28 pm    ::: Re: NCAA Tournament Ratings Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

Now, any word on actual attendance figures? I'm seeing a lot of box scores with "N/A" but I imagine Bridgeport, Norfolk, West Lafayette, College Park, and Albuquerque drew pretty well. Stanford had more than 5,500 for Candice's last game, which is way up from previous years they've hosted and been in the 3,000s.

It was announced at Comcast Center (Maryland) Tuesday night that we had the highest attendance for the venues hosting the first two rounds. On Tuesday night alone, the announced crowd was 8,715. (Frankly, it looked like even more.)

lola528

PostPosted: 03/28/08 1:50 pm    ::: Re: NCAA Tournament Ratings Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Lifted from a press release (sorry, I don't have a link to the release, but I found it on http://www.shesgotgame.blogspot.com/) it appears ratings are way up for the first two rounds:

Actual attendance figures for West Lafayette: Sunday's first session was 3172. The 2nd session (Sunday night) was 4380, and the final session (Tuesday night) was 5472. I'm thinking Tuesday night's would probably have been much higher if fans had thought that this year's Boilers had a snowball's chance in hell for an upset. Wink

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/28/08 1:52 pm    ::: Re: NCAA Tournament Ratings Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
PRballer wrote:

It was announced at Comcast Center (Maryland) Tuesday night that we had the highest attendance for the venues hosting the first two rounds. On Tuesday night alone, the announced crowd was 8,715. (Frankly, it looked like even more.)

It did seem like more to me, especially with all the general admission people in the second tier. It was a heck of a lot more than were there when I went to the Comcast Center the last time the Terps hosted. (Although, to be fair, that year I went to the session that didn't feature Maryland.)

BTW, if memory serves, they often put N/A for the attendance in the first game of a two-game session because they don't finish counting until the second game is underway.

FS02

PostPosted: 03/28/08 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If TV ratings are up, that doesn't necessarily mean that attendance will be up. Is it possible there are economic factors at work that could be causing people to decide to stay home?

It's encouraging to see the ratings go up though, since it might mean more or better coverage of WBB in the future. Eventually, better TV coverage will lead to more fans I think.

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/29/08 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone else think the increase in ratings may be a result of a lot of teams dancing for the first time? It seemed like we had a lot of first-time NCAA tournament teams. I know a lot of people like to jump on bandwagons, especially when it's their first time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: