RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

For fans who have lost their teams in the tourny

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 9:44 pm    ::: For fans who have lost their teams in the tourny Reply Reply with quote

Me, personally, I've always liked a couple teams but conference loyalty is fairly important for me.

The OOC teams I like are UConn, Duke, LSU so I'll be rooting for them. On the other hand, conference loyalty is fairly (but not extremely) important to me. Of course, it helps that I like the teams from my conference that's gone into the tourny...

ASU/Duke is going to be a struggle for me in terms of which team to root for. Luckily I can feel free to root for Stanford all the way to the Final Four.

So, who are you planning to root for now? Is conference loyalty important? And if so, how much?
pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/08 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My bracket is still more or less intact, so I'll root for that. I'd kinda like Iowa State to win tonight, however, because seeing Rutgers run over GW again won't be any fun.

PostPosted: 03/24/08 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
My bracket is still more or less intact, so I'll root for that. I'd kinda like Iowa State to win tonight, however, because seeing Rutgers run over GW again won't be any fun.

Don't be so sure. McKeown is a fine coach, given what he has to work with coaching in that league. And because of the way Rutgers plays, its margin for error is very small - it doesn't take a lot for them to go from beating Connecticut to losing to a team of GW's caliber.

Heck, it's not an absolute certainty yet that Rutgers will get through tonight.

Last edited by njjosh on 03/24/08 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/24/08 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ASU and UConn are both still in for me, I'm rooting like hell for for both to go as far as possible. I also was rooting for Cal. Stanford, however, I never liked and hope they lose as soon as possible even though I picked them to make the Final Four in both my brackets. As for the other Big East teams, I was rooting for Pittsburgh (woo hoo!) mostly, not so much for the others. As for Rutgers, I hope they meet UConn so we can drub them again. However, I'd definitely feel a lot safer if Rutgers was eliminated now Laughing

PostPosted: 03/24/08 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Scarlets beat the Colonials by 25 at GW earlier in the season. I'd expect a like result if they play again.

PostPosted: 03/24/08 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Sure it will, hell GW barely got by Cal, I'd be surprised if rutgers doesn't leave them in the dust. It was fun watching them tonight, but at least Iowa made it a great game, until the last several minutes.

The only team important for me to win is Cal, after that I cheer for whom I like; it doesn't matter if they are in my conference or not.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/24/08 11:43 pm    ::: Re: For fans who have lost their teams in the tourny Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
Me, personally, I've always liked a couple teams but conference loyalty is fairly important for me.

The OOC teams I like are UConn, Duke, LSU so I'll be rooting for them. On the other hand, conference loyalty is fairly (but not extremely) important to me. Of course, it helps that I like the teams from my conference that's gone into the tourny...

ASU/Duke is going to be a struggle for me in terms of which team to root for. Luckily I can feel free to root for Stanford all the way to the Final Four.

So, who are you planning to root for now? Is conference loyalty important? And if so, how much?

If it helps sway you in favor of ASU, I was rooting hard for Cal! Crying or Very sad I feel awful for the Bears. The only thing I feel good about regarding Cal after that game is that they only have one senior, so at least most of them will have another chance to make the sweet sixteen next year. And at least Krista Foster got one NCAA win while at Cal. Still, I feel rotten about that game's ending. Sad

I echo braveniler's comments though, that although conference loyalty is usually very important to me, I'm not too fond of Stanford, so I want them to lose asap...even though I also generally put them in the Final Four in my brackets. Embarassed

kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It does. Laughing

I actually really like ASU's team and they're the underdog so I guess I'll be shouting (at the TV) for you guys to win. Good luck tomorrow! If Duke wins, I'll root for them to get to the FF though. Wink
LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/25/08 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
It does. Laughing

I actually really like ASU's team and they're the underdog so I guess I'll be shouting (at the TV) for you guys to win. Good luck tomorrow! If Duke wins, I'll root for them to get to the FF though. Wink

I'll forgive you for that -- heck I will be rooting for them too. But hopefully it won't come to that! Wink

Go SUNdevils!

Kailapea

PostPosted: 03/25/08 10:19 am    ::: Re: For fans who have lost their teams in the tourny Reply Reply with quote

[So, who are you planning to root for now? Is conference loyalty important? And if so, how much?]

As long as there are Pac 10 teams in the tourny, I will root for them. Tho the ones left are my 2 least favorite Pac 10 teams. Outside of them, I will continue to root for Rutgers (Im from NJ) and then not sure... We will see how things play out tonight....

PostPosted: 03/25/08 1:17 pm    ::: Re: For fans who have lost their teams in the tourny Reply Reply with quote

I keep reading and hearing from ESPN and their apologists that all women's college basketball fans - fans dedicated to the sport, casual fans who attend and watch occasionally, and new fans just along for the tournament - all the majority of fans want to see and hear about is Tennessee and Connecticut.

So how could any of you have any interest in any other teams? You must be confused.

Wink

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Baylor%2BPublic%2BInf%2BReport.pdf
kage

PostPosted: 03/25/08 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:
kage wrote:
It does. Laughing

I'll forgive you for that -- heck I will be rooting for them too. But hopefully it won't come to that! Wink

Go SUNdevils!

Where are your boards? Your scout forum seems dead or mostly dominated by the men's. Well, it's similar to ours in that regard but at least we have more wbb threads!

I can't read Stanford's boards. Stupid subscriber wall. Laughing I just try to guess from the thread titles. Too bad because I bet it'd be fun to read.
kage

PostPosted: 03/25/08 5:09 pm    ::: Re: For fans who have lost their teams in the tourny Reply Reply with quote

DblT81 wrote:
So how could any of you have any interest in any other teams? You must be confused.

Wink

Isn't it obvious? We're all pod aliens. Very Happy
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/25/08 6:48 pm    ::: Re: For fans who have lost their teams in the tourny Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I'm a big pac-10 fan and while I may hate you during the season, I root for you out of conference. So go ASU! Go Stanford!

I do have some faves still left in the field. Although, with all the influx in coaches, it changes the chemistry of teams so I don't feel as attached, such as Duke. I don't get that fuzzy, warm feeling I used to get with them. Rolling Eyes

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My bracket picks for the Elite 8 are still intact but I've lost a few of my Sweet 16 picks.

Three of the 5 teams that I follow made the tourney, but Hartford and Virginia lost in the second round. Tennessee is still alive and my pick to win the whole shebang.

Of the other 2 teams I follow, Western Carolina lost in the first round of the WNIT and Boston College plays in the third round of the WNIT against St. John's on Thursday.

braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bye ASU... Crying or Very sad

But.

GO UCONN Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still hoping Duke can get by Texas A&M, but we'll see. Right now, I think I'll adopt LSU or Vanderbilt as "my team"--haven't really decided yet.

Right now, I just feel bad for Sharnee Zoll and her Hoos. Crying or Very sad It'll be odd not seeing her suit up for Virginia anymore. 785 assists in 132 games played is a remarkable feat for an ACC player! Despite the outcome, that was one hell of a comeback!

Mathies to LA 2013
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/25/08 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Right now, I just feel bad for Sharnee Zoll and her Hoos. Crying or Very sad It'll be odd not seeing her suit up for Virginia anymore. 785 assists in 132 games played is a remarkable feat for an ACC player! Despite the outcome, that was one hell of a comeback!

She looked absolutely devastated after the game. That second three that Littles attempted at the end, I think Zoll was wide open and looking for the pass.

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/26/08 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
Bye ASU... Crying or Very sad

But.

GO UCONN Twisted Evil

Crying or Very sad

A rough day for Sun Devils...

Last edited by LadyDevilFan on 03/26/08 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/26/08 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
She looked absolutely devastated after the game.

She was simply crushed because UVA basketball was her world. Her career ended the way it began--with an NCAA second-round loss to the host team. It was a roller coaster ride for Sharnee, but this year was particularly gratifying for this team. The loss won't change that. Zoll helped bring the Hoos back, and she definitely deserves credit for surviving throughout the hard times. Would love to see what she can accomplish on the next level! It'd be nice to see her "chase" Dawn again.

Youth Coach wrote:
That second three that Littles attempted at the end, I think Zoll was wide open and looking for the pass.

She was open and expecting the pass, but Littles' score-first instincts took over her at the wrong time. I would've rather the senior take the last shot...hit or miss. Still, I won't blame Littles because she carried the team to that point. Can't wait to see her as a senior!

Mathies to LA 2013
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/26/08 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

She was simply crushed because UVA basketball was her world. Her career ended the way it began--with an NCAA second-round loss to the host team. It was a roller coaster ride for Sharnee, but this year was particularly gratifying for this team. The loss won't change that. Zoll helped bring the Hoos back, and she definitely deserves credit for surviving throughout the hard times. Would love to see what she can accomplish on the next level! It'd be nice to see her "chase" Dawn again.

She was open and expecting the pass, but Littles' score-first instincts took over her at the wrong time. I would've rather the senior take the last shot...hit or miss. Still, I won't blame Littles because she carried the team to that point. Can't wait to see her as a senior!

I'm looking forward to seeing where Zoll goes in the WNBA draft. I don't know who is going to take over at the point for UVA, but it will be interesting to see if they can keep up this year's momentum.

TheWildJacko

PostPosted: 03/27/08 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Monica Wright--right?

dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/27/08 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TheWildJacko wrote:
Monica Wright--right?

It'll be a big hole to fill. Maybe Britnee Millner with help from Paulisha Kellum, unless they've got a ready-for-primetime frosh coming in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: