RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The tourney so far...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 03/25/08 8:25 pm    ::: The tourney so far... Reply Reply with quote

...has been FUN! Save the expected trouncings by a majority of the top seeds, there have been some competitive, exciting basketball games in the middle of the bracket so far. Have there been this many close OT/win-on-a-last-second-shot games before? I'm really asking because I don't remember being this enthused by the tourney before.

Sucks for my bracket, but I have really enjoyed the post season so far! Very Happy

- Diana Taurasi
memphis10

PostPosted: 03/25/08 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ain't been good for my heart that's for sure. Surprised

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/25/08 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
Ain't been good for my heart that's for sure. Surprised

Amen!

Other than ASU losing, I've been loving this tournament.

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly think last year's tournament had more upsets if I remember correctly.

kage

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hrmm... But I don't recall the games being as entertaining or nail-biting. It's like the quality of play has gone up across the board.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There have been six games decided by 3 points or fewer so far this year. Since the field expanded to 64 teams, there have been three occasions when there were more than six games decided by 3 or fewer points in the first two rounds: 1995 (9), 2000 (8), and 2005 (8). There were exactly six games decided by 3 or fewer in 1994.

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There have been six games decided by 3 points or fewer so far this year. Since the field expanded to 64 teams, there have been three occasions when there were more than six games decided by 3 or fewer points in the first two rounds: 1995 (9), 2000 (Cool, and 2005 (Cool. There were exactly six games decided by 3 or fewer in 1994.

I knew you would know. Smile

I agree that there have been some entertaining games, it just seems like there were more upsets last year. FSU upset Stanford at Stanford I think. Then you had Marist and Ole Miss screwing up people's brackets. Then you had Rutgers upset Duke later in the tournament. Those are just the ones I remember. There probably were more.

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There have been six games decided by 3 points or fewer so far this year. Since the field expanded to 64 teams, there have been three occasions when there were more than six games decided by 3 or fewer points in the first two rounds: 1995 (9), 2000 (Cool, and 2005 (Cool. There were exactly six games decided by 3 or fewer in 1994.

You know that question was for you. I knew you'd have the stats somewhere Wink Thanks p!

- Diana Taurasi
thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
I agree that there have been some entertaining games, it just seems like there were more upsets last year. FSU upset Stanford at Stanford I think. Then you had Marist and Ole Miss screwing up people's brackets. Then you had Rutgers upset Duke later in the tournament. Those are just the ones I remember. There probably were more.

Yeah, you're probably right. My memory is really shaky so that's why I was asking LOL. It just seems like most of these early games have been uncharacteristically close. Either way, I'm enjoying it!

- Diana Taurasi
bullsky

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be honest, the first round was a bore. This round is getting a little more exciting, but I still want more upsets/close games.

PostPosted: 03/25/08 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma and Notre Dame, overtime!

Another overtime game!

PostPosted: 03/25/08 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the Big 12 is toast. I finally lost a sweet 16 team. Congrats Notre Dame. Evil or Very Mad

Edit: WAIT, I forgot about the Cowgirls and A&M. Silly me. Embarassed

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/26/08 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Monday night might have been the best day of basketball in the entire season.

I am miffed at ESPN for abandoning its "whip-around" coverage in favor of showing a UT blowout right down to the bitter end-- while other games were in OT or going down to the buzzer. At this point, I'm not fussy about who wins or loses the NC. I just want Candace Parker off to the WNBA so ESPN will stop using games to shill her and go back to broadcasting wcbb.

Kind of surprising absences from the Sweet 16: Baylor and OU, of course. I had picked Cal and KSU to reach the Sweet 16, but I think the injuries to key players proved too much to overcome.

The performance of the tournament so far has to be Candice Wiggins's 44 points against UTEP-- a double double, and two assists shy of a triple double. I think that kind of performance will be hard to outdo-- maybe a once in a generation/decade kind of thing.

I picked UConn to win it all, but I think my "sentimental" favorite has to be RU. No other team has worked as hard and has been as disrespected. I would be really happy if this was C-Viv's year.

On the opposite end of the "sentiment" spectrum, Maryland should be gunning for their third consecutive title, but they have never played with the heart that they showed in the '06 final. Was Shay Doron so much of a chemistry-maker?

Yes, UT has Candace Parker. But they also have Alexis Hornbuckle and Angie Bjorklund! Hornbuckle has looked terrific, and my mouth is watering at seeing Bjorklund for three more seasons. She may not be having the best tournament, but she's a rookie and she's gaining experience. Regardless of outcome this season, UT should challenge again in the next few seasons, if they can recruit anybody good. Razz

LSU has Sylvia Fowles, yes, but they also have another great advantage: Van Chancellor. I really think that LSU comes to the Sweet 16 with the best bench coach. I also think he has done a great job of developing the players over a season, and particularly, developing them into roles that complement Fowles. Thanks to Van, LSU appears to be a three dimensional team. And-- hoping these aren't famous last words-- their coach's acumen will give them the tactical advantage over anybody when a game comes down to the wire.

Maya Moore. 'nuff said.

I never disliked Ivory Latta, but I'm liking UNC a whole lot more this season. Their "personality" does seem to be centered more around Erlana Larkins, and I think that's a good thing. She seems so even, and yet able to scrap. With a UNC-LSU match-up looming, it will be interesting to see whether Larkins and Fowles can produce one against the other.

Okay, time to get to work.

PostPosted: 03/26/08 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
Hrmm... But I don't recall the games being as entertaining or nail-biting. It's like the quality of play has gone up across the board.

I thought last year was much better; most of the games so far have been one sided wins. those are the most boring games. ODU against Virginia was one of the best so far. Vols, UConn all boring, hopefully that will change once the Elite 8 starts.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
golden33

PostPosted: 03/26/08 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

I am miffed at ESPN for abandoning its "whip-around" coverage in favor of showing a UT blowout right down to the bitter end-- while other games were in OT or going down to the buzzer.

same thing happened with ESPN showing a not close UConn game in most areas instead of some of the other much more competitive games.

RIP DEEETROIT BAASKETBALL
kage

PostPosted: 03/26/08 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
kage wrote:

I thought last year was much better; most of the games so far have been one sided wins. those are the most boring games. ODU against Virginia was one of the best so far. Vols, UConn all boring, hopefully that will change once the Elite 8 starts.

Meh. The blowouts are only the UCONN/TN/Stanford. Everyone else has to work for their win. The only difference is this year ESPN is shoving the blowout games down our throat and of course, last year, UCONN wasn't as strong as they are this year.

Overall however, I feel this year is pretty good.
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/26/08 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, last night was a pretty good night from the exciting game perspective - two overtimes, two games that stayed pretty close most of the way through at College Park plus Georgia hanging tough with Carolina through the first half.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: